TD5 Blade Type fuse box

Which cable end terminals do I need so that I can use the spare fuse slots ?

TIA

Mo

If it's the bulkhead fusebox you're referring to, then -

STC4034 - Connector to fit 0.5 - 1.0mm2 cable

STC4035 - Connector to fit 1.1 - 2.0mm2 cable

STC4036 - Connector to fit 2.5 - 3.0mm2 cable

They're expensive :o

See - http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=25374

A member on another forum asked how to release the terminals on a TD5 fuse box.

I took some pictures of one of my spare fuse boxes showing how to do it.

Two or three of the pictures show the terminals -

th_Fusebox01.jpg . th_Fusebox02.jpg . th_Fusebox03.jpg

th_Fusebox04.jpg . th_Fusebox05.jpg . th_Fusebox06.jpg

th_Fusebox07.jpg . th_Fusebox08.jpg . th_Fusebox09.jpg

th_Fusebox10.jpg . th_Fusebox11.jpg

The only supplier (that I can find) who does anything with terminals that LOOK similar, is Polevolt.

Of course, they might not fit, but they do look quite similar -

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/info_FBS1U.html

FBS1U-400.jpg

Unfortunately, they don't sell the terminals separately :(

A quick browse of the Ripca/Ripaults website http://www.ripaults.com/ and catalogue, turned-up this -

post-148-0-04733800-1296258447_thumb.jpg

They don't appear to list the terminals 3-4647 separately :(

They also don't sell direct to the public :(

However, they do have Ripca Marine that do sell direct :)

On there, I found -

Fuse holder inclusive 2 non insulated terminals - per 10 pieces

FHA19_0025_20fuse_m.jpg

and -

3-4647-100 CRIMP TERMINAL 1 BOX OF100PCS TBV ZEKERINGHOUDER FHA19

I should add that I've never bought anything from Ripca Marine, so I can't vouch for them, but Ripca/Ripaults supply most of the usual Auto Electrical places.

Anyone know which ones for the under seat fuse box?

I don't know if you can add terminals to the underseat fusebox, it's connected to the various looms by multi-pole connectors.

I should also point out that my fusebox pictures above are from a 1999 TD5 main harness, which is significantly different to a 2002 one.

I'm doing this to my LR at the moment. The large diameter cable connections are the cheapest at about 60p each - that's pretty dear, but the costliest of the three sizes (smallest, I think) are over £6 each! I have bought the plastic block (genuine) at just over £4, but it's costing me £20 just to fit the biggest terminals for just 15 fuses! All I'm doing is soldering/heat-shrinking thicker tails onto the existing loom wires so that they all fit the bigger terminals. It'll allow a bit more slack on the wires, too, and saves any concern over damage to the existing ends from removing old terminals or corrosion, and allows me to put the fuses in a sequence that suits me.

I'm doing this to my LR at the moment. The large diameter cable connections are the cheapest at about 60p each - that's pretty dear, but the costliest of the three sizes (smallest, I think) are over £6 each!

Do you mean you've sourced different sized pins for the fuse block? I'm presuming that if you buy the original block it doesn't come with pins?

I want to make use of a spare fuse slot in my 90 - the block is there it just needs the pins ...... and buying the pack of 100 Paul Mc posted up is an expensive route!

I don't know if you can add terminals to the underseat fusebox, it's connected to the various looms by multi-pole connectors.

I should also point out that my fusebox pictures above are from a 1999 TD5 main harness, which is significantly different to a 2002 one.

Paul

it was a pin terminal I meant to fit into the plugs underneath:

29af056c.jpg

I have a nice unused 60 amp fuse in there that would have been for the aircon ...

Paul

it was a pin terminal I meant to fit into the plugs underneath:

29af056c.jpg

I have a nice unused 60 amp fuse in there that would have been for the aircon ...

Which plug?

If you can, pop-out one of the terminals and post up some pics, they should be easy to identify/match.

Will do - its the white block connector with only one wire in in the picture.

OK, been and had a look at the Underseat Fusebox Connectors on my 99MY TD5 Loom -

th_DSC00600.jpg

The 3-way connector is C0571

th_C0571-DefenderTD5UnderseatFusebox.jpg

th_DSC00601.jpg . th_DSC00604.jpg . th_DSC00605.jpg . th_DSC00607.jpg

The terminals to fit this connector are Sumitomo 305 Female Terminals (0.305" or 7.8mm)

I only know of one place where you can get the correct terminals in small quantities (he calls them .312" terminals :unsure: - but they are the correct 0.305" ones)

He sells them in two cable sizes -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Special/special.html -

sumi-250-312-f312.jpg

If you want to populate all of the cavities in the 4-way connector C0573

th_C0573-DefenderTD5UnderseatFusebox.jpg

th_DSC00603.jpg . th_DSC00609.jpg . th_DSC00610.jpg . th_DSC00611.jpg

The terminals to fit this connector are Sumitomo 250 Female Terminals (0.250" or 6.3mm)

(although these terminals are 6.3mm, they're not same as, or compatible with, standard 'Lucar' terminals that fit into a moulding)

Eastern Beaver also sell these, in three different cable sizes -

http://www.easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/Special/special.html

sumi-250-312-f250_0972.jpg

Polevolt also sell a compatible terminal, their Ref: 30-640/10 (for 10 x terminals)

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Circularseal_Connectors.html

30-640-195.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Wow Paul !

Somehow I missed your reply. Fantastically thorough - thank you very much :)

Something I'm thinking of now - is changing that under seat fusebox for one that would fit flat onto the bulk head. Can anyone make a suggestion of which fuse box to use?

I like the discovery td5 under seat boxes as it appears to be flat backed, has the right type of fuses and I could also house the under seat relays in there too ...

408284185_o.jpg

Drawbacks though are that they seem to hold good money, and look larger than I need ....

Any fuse box suggestions very welcome.

Wow Paul !

Somehow I missed your reply. Fantastically thorough - thank you very much :)

Something I'm thinking of now - is changing that under seat fusebox for one that would fit flat onto the bulk head. Can anyone make a suggestion of which fuse box to use?

I like the discovery td5 under seat boxes as it appears to be flat backed, has the right type of fuses and I could also house the under seat relays in there too ...

408284185_o.jpg

Drawbacks though are that they seem to hold good money, and look larger than I need ....

Any fuse box suggestions very welcome.

I'd forgotten about this thread :huh:

The fusebox you've pictured is a Discovery II Engine Compartment Fusebox.

Both the Engine Compartment Fusebox and the Passenger Compartment Fusebox (pictured below) have all their cable entry/exits on a variety of multiplugs to their rear and so will not sit flat on a panel.

PassCompFusebox.jpg

In addition, the Passenger Compartment Fusebox also has connections on it's front and, more importantly, some of it's relay functions are controlled by an in-built electronic device called the 'IDM' (Intelligent Driver Module) which recieves it's instructions digitally from the BCU (Body Control Unit).

I've toyed with using an Engine Compartment Fusebox myself, for extra fuses and relays on my Discovery II, but weighing-up the pros and cons, I'm not yet decided.

Pros -

One large (battery sized) 12v connection supplies the power

I have all the appropriate multiplugs

Fuses and Relays can be 'robbed' for the vehicle fusebox in an emergency

The 'Auxiliary Circuits' Relay can be used to supply accessories that require an ignition controlled live

Cons -

The circuit interconnections are quite complicated and would require careful tracing and documenting, using both the DII Wiring Diagram and a circuit tester

It would require some sort of pedestal mounting to facilitate access to and clearance for the rear connectors

Have you considered using these from VWP or Polevolt -

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/info_FBB16U.html

FBB16U-400.jpg

They clip together with these -

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/info_RB4U.html

RB4U-400.jpg

Or there's always these -

http://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Modular_Fuse_and_Relay_System.html

MOD%20Fuse%20display%20white-400.jpg

All of which give you the flexibility to construct a fuse/relay box to your exact requirements.

I've used the first two of Paul's suggestions above on my last 90, relay and fusebox clipped together for aux circuits and they work very well, recommended :)

Back to the original question about terminals though, I've found Dingocroft sell terminals for the fusebox albeit at 60p each. Pricey but accessible. See here :i-m_so_happy:

HTH

Mo

Thanks Paul !

I like the grey one. I'll have a count up of what fuses are actually used on mine, its a fairly basic set up (with no ABS, electric windows, or seats etc) so I might get up with one row of blade fuses and one for a pair of relays.

It would mean replacing the standard type large fuses with blade fuses - but I don't see a problem with that ?

Stephen

Thanks Paul !

I like the grey one. I'll have a count up of what fuses are actually used on mine, its a fairly basic set up (with no ABS, electric windows, or seats etc) so I might get up with one row of blade fuses and one for a pair of relays.

It would mean replacing the standard type large fuses with blade fuses - but I don't see a problem with that ?

Stephen

I thought all Td5s had the normal blade fuses? or is that only post MY02?