90 wiring loom

just wondering if anybody can tell me if the wiring loom is the same for a diesel as it is in a v8?

i need a complete loom for my project 90 due to previous owner making a mess of the old one whilst trying to re-locate the fusebox and have found a v8 been broken local ish but wasnt sure if theres any major differences between the diesel and petrol looms.

cheers ben

Don't really know, but would think that the engine bay loom would be different due to the differences between V8 and a diesel..but would expect anything to do with other things (heater, lights etc) should be the same.

I'm sure there will someone else along that does know though

just wondering if anybody can tell me if the wiring loom is the same for a diesel as it is in a v8?

i need a complete loom for my project 90 due to previous owner making a mess of the old one whilst trying to re-locate the fusebox and have found a v8 been broken local ish but wasnt sure if theres any major differences between the diesel and petrol looms.

cheers ben

I don't know if this will help. the pdf below show the wiring circuits for each 2.5 petrol diesel and v8 for 110 on a 1988

cheers ben

I think you need to give us some more info: the wiring-loom for an early Diesel-Turbo 90 or a first-series 200TDi is a very different animal to one from a 90TD5.

Should have really told you what I have,

my 90 is a 1984 a reg but I have fitted a 300tdi out of a discovery so surely in my mind I think anything pre td5 should be able to fit or am I way of the mark, which loom would you suggest .........

cheers ben

the main/dash area loom is common to petrol & diesel vehicles, the multiplugs for each engine/fuel type are included in the loom, just connect the engine loom to it's matching multiplug. it should be possible to identify diesel/petrol plugs on the wiring diagrams above.

after my search for a wiring loom i have got myself a 300 tdi loom, 99% complete i could do with an engine loom but figuring i'll be able to make something from my old loom, so far most of it is making sense to me apart from,

a part of the loom that goes in the engine bay there is 3 big fuses, 60 amp 30 amp and 20 amp, each fuse has a thick brown wire from one side and the other side is a metal band, i'm assuming the metal band is going to be a live feed but where is it fed from?

The loom the passenger side Of the bulk wad is the same

If you want to change a defender from petrol to diesel or the other way round how you do it is buy the engine loom for which ever one you want from your dealer and pull the engine loom you have out of the plug on the bulkhead in the engine bay an replace with the new wiring loom you have just bought. The job done easy. All is now there for which ever engine you are going to put in. Got to remember land rover are lazy buggers and if they can make it easy for themselves they will

Have done this many times with a 90 diesel to run a 4.2 and to a petrol 110 to run a diesel

What this means is that pre td5 they were defiantly the same wiring lOoms apart from the engine bay

call Autosparks,they have all the wiring looms.i thinks it around the £20 mark.

i had a 300 tdi loom in my 90 V8 carb.i made the engine loom myself as there only about 3 wires needed.

starter motor,oil pressure switch,alternater .

your battery cable goes to the starter then links off to the alt.

Hi all following this with great interest as I'm plodding along with the building of a 3.5 V8 Carb.'d Hybrid series 2a/def.ish.

Question - Am I right in thinking that any defender loom will be suitable for the usual connections like lights, wipers etc etc, but have to have the correct engine loom for the engine to work correctly. Are there a lot of fuse panels or relay panels to be worried about? - Does anyone have a full complete loom that is suitable?

I'll be able to figure out the engine loom, but what I'm asking is what do the 3 big fuses do that are in the engine bay of a 300 tdi because I can't find them on any of the wiring diagrams I have? Do I even need them, they are part of the standard loom,or are they for optional extras maybe?

Cheers

I'll be able to figure out the engine loom, but what I'm asking is what do the 3 big fuses do that are in the engine bay of a 300 tdi because I can't find them on any of the wiring diagrams I have? Do I even need them, they are part of the standard loom,or are they for optional extras maybe?

Cheers

because you need the 300tdi wiring diagram, go to 'request for part numbers' forum & click the pinned thread that has RAVE next to it.