Chassis Numbers

Ive had my 300TDi defender for about 3 years now and it has gone through the previous MOTs without just the normal small issues, loose ball joint, worn steering bush etc. However during the last MOT i had a letter come throught the door a week or so later saying that there was a discrepency in the Chassis numbers between the vehicle, V5 and the MOT certificate, It seems that i have got two Chassis numbers :unsure:

Upon further inspection i have found that the chassis number on the Vin plate matches the MOT certificate.... But the number stamped on the chassis dumb iron matches the V5 :unsure:

If i post the chassis numbers on here is it possible to work out which one is correct so that i have a heads up before the DVLA come knocking?

Cheers

Tris

Chassis No is what you go by usually. Body panels are not really counted, so second hand parts might have been fitted - hence the wrong plate. I had a S3 that had 3 different VIN Numbers :). You can buy the plates I think, and stamp the correct number on it yourself.

Might be too late now - the DVLA and/or Police might come round and kick your door in :(

Les.

I'd agree with Les - the chassis is more likely to be the original VIN as the brake pedal unit with the VIN plate riveted to it may have been replaced due to a fault or upgrade with the VIN plate mistakenly not transferred. It's not impossible, though, that a corroded or damaged chassis was illegally replaced with a second hand chassis without a VIC (s/h can be legal without a new VIN and Q-plate subject to VOSA/DVLA VIC and approval) and chassis number re-stamp.

Hopefully, you checked the vehicle history and got a check done before purchase to ensure it wasn't a "bistsa", wringer or serious write-off.

Tris, its easy enough to check the chassis number, it'd be stamped on the bracket that added to the fornt of the chassis that the jack fits into, drivers side, on the outer side.... if thats makes sense...... a quick wire brush and you should be able to check it...

Tris, its easy enough to check the chassis number, it'd be stamped on the bracket that added to the fornt of the chassis that the jack fits into, drivers side, on the outer side.... if thats makes sense...... a quick wire brush and you should be able to check it...

he's already checked :D

Tris -- But the number stamped on the chassis dumb iron matches the V5

I got one of those but all my numbers were the same, so I believe the MOT man must have entered it wrong somewhere....

Did you just get a letter? Or was there some kind of follow up? Might help the OP to know what he can expect to happen next

Thanks for the response guys,

The two numbers ive got are as follows;

V5 and Chassis No - SALLDVA67WA156162

MOT and VIN Plate - SALLDVB67VA125955

Both of which say that its from a defender althought one is 1997 and the other 1998, guessi'll just have to see who comes knocking at the door :ph34r:

Both of which say that its from a defender althought one is 1997 and the other 1998

The 7th digit is the body type, so the first one 'A' is Truck Cab, Soft Top or Hard Top (Utility body) and the second one 'B' is 3 door Station Wagon, or Freelander 5 door hardtop.

As you've said, the 10th digit is the year.

Something doesn't look so good as your profile says you have a 90 CSW which would make the chassis number look to be the wrong one. :-(

Although it is possible that it was a truck cab and they stuck the whole CSW body onto it (forgetting to change the VIN plate).

Which would be legal apart from forgetting to change the vin plate.

Thanks for the response guys,

The two numbers ive got are as follows;

Both of which say that its from a defender althought one is 1997 and the other 1998, guessi'll just have to see who comes knocking at the door :ph34r:

V5 & Chassis VIN decodes as in here

MOT & VIN plate decodes as in here

Chaasis stamped number is the original identity, the body has no affect, just a location to mount the VIN plate.

Did you just get a letter? Or was there some kind of follow up? Might help the OP to know what he can expect to happen next

I just got a letter, sent it back and never heard anything since, that was about a year and a half ago now....

The 8th digit should be an 'F' for 200 Tdi & 300 Tdi (2.5 Liter, 4 cylinder, Turbor Diesels) rather than the '6' that it is. :huh:

only if it does not have a cataylitic converter fitted

F = 2.5L, inline 4 cylinder, turbo-diesel (200Tdi/300Tdi) non EGR/cat, 11L or 16L

6 = 2.5L, inline 4 cylinder, turbo-diesel (200Tdi/300Tdi) EGR/cat