[OT-ish] Poly-V belts

I've been looking for a selection of Poly-V belts for power transmission.

I'm using some poly-V pulleys from various vehicles (Power steering and alternator pulleys mostly) - however, they seem to have the same pitch and width as an old 300 TDi discovery belt I had lying around.

However, it needs to be loooong (nearly 3 meters in fact), so a standard automotive belt won't do.

None of the usual places I'd go for engineering components (RS, Bearing Boys etc) seem to supply poly-V and I can't find much information about the various profiles. In fact, about the only thing I've found is this: My link

Am I missing something here? Are they under some name other than 'Poly-V'? Anyone know where I might find them online?

I recently had to source some belts and pulleys for a final year project (needed to gear-up a DC motor spinning at 1500RPM to ~16000 RPM to test an alternator). By chance I came across Challenge PT (Power Transmission) through a local distributor - David Harris of Whitland and although Challenge PT were less than helpful (borderline rude) when I tried to speak to them directly on the phone they do have a huge catalogue of parts (pulleys from <100mm to >1400mm any type of V-belt / Poly-V belt etc, motor mounts).

I would be suprised if they don't have something suitable - the PDF version of the catalogue can be downloaded from here: http://challengept.com/flipcatalogue/files/ChallengeTechCat2011.pdf (bear in mind that it's pretty big - ~70MB). The challenge (no pun intended) might be in finding a distributor local to yourself. If you do struggle then I can dig out the phone number for the distributor where I got my pulleys and belts from (West Wales) and they're usually more than helpful so in the worst case scenario might be able to post things to you.

You could try some searching on a belt manufacturers web site like Dayco

Their part numbers have length encoded in them

e.g a 7pk2250 is 7 v's wide and 2250mm in length

or you could try contacting them linky

a quick search gives a 7pk at 2875mm is the biggest I've found

Forgive me if I am teaching my grandparent etc. but bear in mind that belts are spec'd by their circumference, not the distance between the the pulley centres (for obvious reasons). Hence, if you need a belt to drive something like 3m away then you will need a belt which is more than 6m long.

I've found Brammer (what used used to be BSL) in Sheffield helpful and willing to get specials made for me in the past. They have depots all over the place.

Nick.

I use a company in Kent called Ashford Power Transmissions Ltd for odd sized belts for my woodworking machinery. Always a fast service and excellent prices plus an enormous range of sizes for just about ever machine you have ever come across. Well worth a look on their website or giving a call. Another good thing is they don't sting you for delivery . ;)

I converted a lathe to inverter+polyvee belt from a variable speed vee belt thing. I got the parts from Power Transmission Supplies,Higginshaw Lane

Oldham 01616260229 sales@pts-oldham.co.uk. Very helpful guys, like you I couldn't find much in the catalogues, they got the belt, pulleys and taper lock bushes.

Fenner used to publish catalogues showing the calculations, and I attach my copies of them(I think). Incidentally I like the polyvee very much, very quiet,plenty of grip. Washing machines tend to use a tiny motor pulley and an enormous drum pulley, if you need to find a pulley cheap.

friction_polydrive.pdf

friction_polydriveribbed.pdf