TD5 Speedo Mileage run up circuit

I think most cars are easy to open the instruments on, I have a ford galaxy instrument pack here and just a few screws and it's all in bits.... although I think it's mileage is stored in the ECU.

Just for info, was he adding miles on or taking them off?

Cheers for the information :)

Adding, from about 28k to 148k. I always wondered if it could be done with electronics but seeing as I know naff all about them if this thread had come about two months ago I would have had a bash!

Adding, from about 28k to 148k. I always wondered if it could be done with electronics but seeing as I know naff all about them if this thread had come about two months ago I would have had a bash!

Even with accelerated clocking it would take at least 3 days to add that much so it had to have been done using some electronic manipulation, whether that was directly reprogramming the flash chip or using a debug port. I'm leaning towards it being reprogramming the flash chip as the mobile bloke said he opened the case. Also as he said the case had been opened before it kind of hints at that being the 'normal' method.

Of course, you'd replace the background of the dial with one that has the letters 'km/h' rather than 'mph', so it would probably have a suitable km/h scale too. The sensor pulses per stepper motor steps / degree of needle deflection would remain the same.

Sure different speeds e.g. 140mph rather than 120mph would need a different calibration factor for the road speed versus needle angle, as RJF was suggesting.

Google tells me that 1 mph = 1.609344 km/h so the 2562ppm might be slightly out (2547.621 pulses)

Kev

Just a thought, on the MPH gauge the 100km/h mark is past vertical, but on the KPH gauge the 100km/h is at vertical. Also, the MPH gauge goes to 120MPH, but the KPH gauge goes to 200km/h (125MPH). Possibly then, the gauges are programmed to move the needle different amounts based on the number of pulses?

post-18025-0-37710300-1308781917_thumb.jpgpost-18025-0-57976500-1308781920_thumb.jpg

Just a thought, on the MPH gauge the 100km/h mark is past vertical, but on the KPH gauge the 100km/h is at vertical. Also, the MPH gauge goes to 120MPH, but the KPH gauge goes to 200km/h (125MPH). Possibly then, the gauges are programmed to move the needle different amounts based on the number of pulses?

post-18025-0-37710300-1308781917_thumb.jpgpost-18025-0-57976500-1308781920_thumb.jpg

Good observation :)

I guess the ideal would be if we could find someone with a KPH speedo that would be kind enough to let us take it apart, anyone got an imported vehicle they have swapped the digital KPH speedo out for a UK one? Bit of a long shot that one I guess. But if we do work out the calibration we no longer have to rely on different coloured cogs to try and match up the speedo to the tyres which would be brilliant as in some cases there is no correct cog.

"I'm thinking a few more examples of flash contents might be helpful now..... any volunteers?"

Even this gets me :blink: - If it means you want another speedo to try, I have one waiting in my garage with unknown mileage on.

Malcolm

Got a speedo you can have a look at !

I had a chat with James last night, before we open up any more speedos we're going to put his back together and allow him to use it for a while to be absolutely certain it is all working properly, I can see no reason for problems but just want to be safe. Then I shall take you guys up on your generous offers :)

I have James' speedo for a few more days yet so the playing investigations will carry on for a while then after a week of testing we'll open a few more up and see what this reveals :)

Does that seem a sensible way forward to all?

Good observation :)

I guess the ideal would be if we could find someone with a KPH speedo that would be kind enough to let us take it apart, anyone got an imported vehicle they have swapped the digital KPH speedo out for a UK one? Bit of a long shot that one I guess. But if we do work out the calibration we no longer have to rely on different coloured cogs to try and match up the speedo to the tyres which would be brilliant as in some cases there is no correct cog.

there happens to be a td5 kph speedo on ebay item number 170658501435 2 bids £10.51 5 days or so left.

a bloody good photo too

post-5991-0-78816000-1308819681_thumb.jpg

Im going to up the clock speed on mine to what you said and get this speedo run up finished today : )

There's no VIN info in a Defender 99-06 speedo AFAIK. (I refuse to call it a Td5 speedo as my 300Tdi had one from the factory and was built in 2006 :P )

There is a VIN held in most of the newer stuff though - including the Puma instrument I think.

Great thread, hadn't been following it but just read through :)

there happens to be a td5 kph speedo on ebay item number 170658501435 2 bids £10.51 5 days or so left.

a bloody good photo too

post-5991-0-78816000-1308819681_thumb.jpg

Im going to up the clock speed on mine to what you said and get this speedo run up finished today : )

Well spotted! I Shall keep an eye on the auction and if the price doesn't get silly I'll place a bid on it for the project.

Unless of course anyone else has one kicking around? If anyone is willing to loan one to us I'll change whatever we know how to (or leave it as is, your choice) before I return it.

BTW when you up the clock speed if the needle doesn't move you are clocking it too fast, so just drop back a little.

There's no VIN info in a Defender 99-06 speedo AFAIK. (I refuse to call it a Td5 speedo as my 300Tdi had one from the factory and was built in 2006 :P )

There is a VIN held in most of the newer stuff though - including the Puma instrument I think.

Great thread, hadn't been following it but just read through :)

The thread is starting to get a bit long now, so well done for reading through it!

James has volunteered to help with sorting out a howto for the reprogramming once we work out exactly what is going on (although I think we have the milage part cracked we want more!!!!), we're also going to have a stab at using the Bus Pirate for reprogramming as that will reduce the cost for anyone wanting to have a stab at this themselves.

This thread is a great reference to see what has been going through everyones minds as the group start to understand this 'VDO Electronic Speedometer' ;) It's great the way so many people are contributing with information which would have taken ages to find out otherwise :)

Just taken my speedo out and photgraphed it a couple of times, however only one photo has come out in focus and i didn't check before i put it back in.

I have attached two of the photos, one with the sticker on it, which is out of focus, but from memory, it has the LR p/n on it and a VDO Nr on it as well. If it is of any help i can take another photo and get it in focus.

Both photos show how the black ring was prised up and put back down.

Apologies for the size..at work at the moment

HTH

post-24570-0-75052100-1308826091_thumb.jpg

post-24570-0-84333800-1308826120_thumb.jpg

Just taken my speedo out and photgraphed it a couple of times, however only one photo has come out in focus and i didn't check before i put it back in.

I have attached two of the photos, one with the sticker on it, which is out of focus, but from memory, it has the LR p/n on it and a VDO Nr on it as well. If it is of any help i can take another photo and get it in focus.

Both photos show how the black ring was prised up and put back down.

Apologies for the size..at work at the moment

HTH

Cheers for that Chris, it's really appreciated.

I can see how they turn stuff around so quickly if they leave the crimping like that, I had expected a few marks but assumed it would be pressed down fully.

That sticker has a Rover part number, a VDO part numnber, manufacturing date, operating voltage, and in the bottom left hand corner what I would assume to be the unit serial number.

It would be nice to know the 'unit serial number' (assuming that is what it is).

Thanks again :)

this is a great thread, and has got me digging out my PIC micro controller. I wish i had something to contribute but i am going from a TD5 speedo to an after market one so it will be interesting to see if the mileage can be set in a similar way. But well done all its been very interesting & look forward to the Tech archive post.

Cheers for that Chris, it's really appreciated.

I can see how they turn stuff around so quickly if they leave the crimping like that, I had expected a few marks but assumed it would be pressed down fully.

That sticker has a Rover part number, a VDO part numnber, manufacturing date, operating voltage, and in the bottom left hand corner what I would assume to be the unit serial number.

It would be nice to know the 'unit serial number' (assuming that is what it is).

Thanks again :)

Here you go..as requested

Apologies for the size!!!

post-24570-0-96078800-1308834209_thumb.jpg

Here you go..as requested

Apologies for the size!!!

Thanks for that, it appears it isn't a serial number after all ... must be yet another part number! Your sticker is exactly the same as the one I have here other than the date code :S

Have been doing some playing to see what other values may mean... progress is slow :(

All the FFFF words seem to have no effect so it seems it is just blank memory at these locations.

The two 0000 words if both changed to the same value change the start position of the needle 00FF is approx 7MPH and 0FFF is about 119MPH Maybe this is for different faces with different 0 positions.

All other changes so far seem to stop the needle from functioning and little else.

One strange one is the 8000 value, apart from stopping the needle working it seems to subtract an amount from the recorded mileage.

Anyway that was the fruits of my lunch break :)

this is a great thread, and has got me digging out my PIC micro controller. I wish i had something to contribute but i am going from a TD5 speedo to an after market one so it will be interesting to see if the mileage can be set in a similar way. But well done all its been very interesting, look forward to the Tech archive post.

Out of curiosity why are you changing a TD5 out to replace with an aftermarket one?

It's quite likely they do something very similar inside the aftermarket speedo, if they do you should spot the mileage storage by dumping the memory contents then adding a few miles and dumping it again. :)

just changing the cab inside to smoothing ;more modern and personalized,actually do like the TD5 speedo but never really liked the other ;instruments;so just getting a new matching set, also working on a custom dash profile. plus i just love working on the truck and have learned allot with this approach.yes thats what i was thinking but i think i will have to take the retaining ring off too.

Edited by western
check your post settings, edited to remove lots of rubbish codes

this is a great thread, and has got me digging out my PIC micro controller. I wish i had something to contribute but i am going from a TD5 speedo to an after market one so it will be interesting to see if the mileage can be set in a similar way. But well done all its been very interesting & look forward to the Tech archive post.

already linked to the tech archive.

Well spotted! I Shall keep an eye on the auction and if the price doesn't get silly I'll place a bid on it for the project.

Unless of course anyone else has one kicking around? If anyone is willing to loan one to us I'll change whatever we know how to (or leave it as is, your choice) before I return it.

BTW when you up the clock speed if the needle doesn't move you are clocking it too fast, so just drop back a little.

My code for the Pic now looks like this

Program Speedo

main:

ANSEL = 0 ' configure AN pins as digital I/O

ANSELH = 0

TRISB0_bit = 1 ' set PORTB to be input

TRISC = 0 ' set PORTC to be output

PORTC = 0xAA

portC = 0

while true

PortC.0 = 1

delay_us(195)

portC.0 = 0

delay_us(195)

wend

end.

I have changed the delay to 195 microseconds. The speedo now counts at the speed of **** flying from a shovel. 175 micro seconds and the speedo does not count... like you said, its too fast for it.

Remember if these pulses seem much smaller then what is expected, my pic is running with its internal oscillator so timing will not be as accurate as using a proper crystal.

Anyway its now roughly moving at 1110mph.

which ones did you use cwazy, or with this info be included in final write up?

thanks

I used one of these http://www.asix.net/tools/prg_presto.htm

However I should be getting hold of a Bus Pirate next week which I'm told are cheaper, so we'll try using that and put the cheapest method in the final write up.

TBH any programmer that can program a chip using the microwire protocol (forerunner to SPI) and supports the 93S46 chip will work.

My code for the Pic now looks like this

Program Speedo

main:

ANSEL = 0 ' configure AN pins as digital I/O

ANSELH = 0

TRISB0_bit = 1 ' set PORTB to be input

TRISC = 0 ' set PORTC to be output

PORTC = 0xAA

portC = 0

while true

PortC.0 = 1

delay_us(195)

portC.0 = 0

delay_us(195)

wend

end.

I have changed the delay to 195 microseconds. The speedo now counts at the speed of **** flying from a shovel. 175 micro seconds and the speedo does not count... like you said, its too fast for it.

Remember if these pulses seem much smaller then what is expected, my pic is running with its internal oscillator so timing will not be as accurate as using a proper crystal.

Anyway its now roughly moving at 1110mph.

Nice :)

This is a good way of increasing the mileage without opening the case, at that speed even quite substantial increases should only take a few days :)

A nice mod if you can do it to the code would be to only run for a certain number of pulses, but I'm not sure if the PIC can deal with counters of the required size easily. It would save having to remember to stop it and prevent you overshooting your target