TD5 Speedo Mileage run up circuit

Nice :)

This is a good way of increasing the mileage without opening the case, at that speed even quite substantial increases should only take a few days :)

A nice mod if you can do it to the code would be to only run for a certain number of pulses, but I'm not sure if the PIC can deal with counters of the required size easily. It would save having to remember to stop it and prevent you overshooting your target

Best just go check i switched it off before i go to sleep. its only got to go to 97000.

Marvellous stuff Gentlemen, marvellous ! May I congratulate you on your progress so far :)

I get as far as the water analogy with electrics (I had to have a lesson in resisters before adding them when we were learning to get the TD5 temperature gauge to work) so this electronics stuff is deeeeeeeeep !

Bravo ! Wish I could help.

Mo

Best just go check i switched it off before i go to sleep. its only got to go to 97000.

Lol, when I watched that video I thought 'that's going 10 times faster than I managed it, how's he done that?' I started timing the speed of increase, was just about to do the calculations when I noticed that of course your mileage is below 100,000 so still has the decimal point! Doh! :rolleyes:

Looks like you have about 4 hours 6 hours left to reach your target, looking good :) and great idea to post the video, gives a much greater sense of speed than words do.

I'll take it out of the truck over the weekend & have a good look, it didn't look tampered with when I got it back.

pulled my speedo out to have a look at the rim it has been removed/refitted to adjust the mileage reading, it was nearly 4 years ago.you can see the recrimping of the rim on my photo below

the only label on the outside of the casing is shown below, says my speedo is a 99 model year with a date of Jan 2001 [01/01]

post-20-0-94002800-1309020076_thumb.jpg

Looks like that's the way it is done then. Un-crimping, changing the values with a reader and that 8-way IC test clip (or something similar), then putting back together would easily be doable in less than an hour.

I think that'll be the way to go with the DIY approach, even if the 3-pin port turns out to be usable for the purpose, you'd likely still have to take the casing off to get to it and the only benefit is you wouldn't need the IC test clip.

pulled my speedo out to have a look at the rim it has been removed/refitted to adjust the mileage reading, it was nearly 4 years ago.you can see the recrimping of the rim on my photo below

the only label on the outside of the casing is shown below, says my speedo is a 99 model year with a date of Jan 2001 [01/01]

Thanks for doing that Ralph :)

It would be easy to miss the recrimping if the O ring was pushed back up against it.

Hopefully next week we'll get to try out a cheap reader/writer for the memory chip and then we should be in a position to start writing a how to for anyone interested in changing the mileage for themselves or doing their own research on the rest of the eeprom :). We can also do more research about other configurable bits if I manage to get that KMH speedo off of ebay.

Thanks again

Well title says TD5, Picture is TD5 and description says electronic and as I have to collect in person I'll just not buy it if they are wrong.

We have now bought (hopefully) a TD5 KMH speedo, will collect later in the week and then the project can continue!!!! :D :D

Lol The rocking horse has dropped it's guts!

4 kmh speedos on ebay at £50 buy it now :)

Collect only from Maidenhead ... bit far but doable

Christ, I haven't seen one for 9 months. They're like London buses... it went for £57. I half wonder if businesses poll the forums to see what's in demand when someone posts a new modification guide.

I've been to Berkshire LR and they do lots of work with ROW vehicles adapting them for the States, so those speedos are probably legit. Either they don't know what they are or they're lying with regard to being from a puma.

Probably an honest error seeing as they've got another listing for an actual puma dash:

My link

I reckon they just haven't updated the text when copying from another listing, but as I get to pick up in person at least I can make sure it's the right thing. I'll give them a call before I do the 100 mile round trip :)