1, 2 or even 3 Motors for your Tds Sir?

simonr

Oh, and a couple of evenings with a CNC Mill!

post-74-0-97532100-1308873594_thumb.jpg

First with two motors. The second motor drives directly into the gearbox (brake mechanism) so as not to stress the long connecting rod that runs through the centre of the drum additionally.

I ran out of time to machine the motor adapter for the third motor, though I put the female spline in the top gear to receive the motor. It is nearly 1am and I have to sleep some time!

post-74-0-41768600-1308873638_thumb.jpg

The winch has been geared up a bit - to about the same ratio as a standard 8274. Any faster and the drag in the gearbox starts to be a limiting factor in the no load line speed.

Although this was more for research than to turn in to a product - as so often happens - half way through building it, I thought of an uber-cool better way of achieving the objective. Nick (RogueVogue) Watts is in part responsible for the better idea.

Taking the motor, gearing it up then gearing it down (in effect) isn't such a bright idea from an efficiency point of view - so I thought, what about re-making the whole gearbox. By using a fairly unusual gearbox topography, you can achieve the required reduction with far fewer parts than in most winches. As gear cutting is still beyond my capabilities, I intend printing a prototype on my 3D Printer / rapid prototyping machine. That's what it's for after all!

Si

post-74-0-82251600-1308873615_thumb.jpg

Nice!

As gear cutting is still beyond my capabilities, I intend printing a prototype on my 3D Printer / rapid prototyping machine. That's what it's for after all!

If you want to do some load testing with prototyped gears, it may be cheaper to have them printed too?

http://i.materialise.com/support/materials/titanium

http://i.materialise.com/support/materials/stainless-steel

I think the titanium would work especially well, but I have no idea about the price :ph34r:

Wow! Will the rest of the casing / drum /shafts / gears be up to it?

Infact if your going to the effort of mounting the motors and making a new gearbox surely you could just remake the whole thing to your own spec? By making the drum bigger you would be giving space for more cable and increasing your line speed without having to run the gearbox faster.

Wow! Will the rest of the casing / drum /shafts / gears be up to it?

I tested it by welding the drum to the tie-bars then using a torque wrench to turn the motor input.

A winch motor produces about 30Nm torque at stall - so two motors give about 60Nm. I found that generally at about 150Nm, the welds broke but I failed to cause any damage to the winch itself. 150Nm translates into 5 motors or 64,000 Lbs Pull - so I'm reasonably convinced the Tds is a good starting point for up-rating. Certainly it has fewer intrinsic weak points than an 8274.

Infact if your going to the effort of mounting the motors and making a new gearbox surely you could just remake the whole thing to your own spec? By making the drum bigger you would be giving space for more cable and increasing your line speed without having to run the gearbox faster.

Well, that's kind of the conclusion I drew while I was machining the parts. It wouldn't take much more effort to make a whole winch. When we were driving back from the Scotia Challenge (600 miles gives you a while to think!), Nick & I considered what as a competitor, what he would ideally like out of a winch. We designed a 'fantasy' winch which ticked all the boxes - then set about designing one! The end result meets most of the requirements and ends up looking fairly different to current winches. It seemed clear that something designed from scratch would be better than something, which with the best intentions, is cobbled together out of an existing winch.

Along the way, we came up with a couple of interesting modifications for an 8274 including one which replaces the brake assembly with one which works better. A result of this is that the main shaft doesn't need the helical cam arrangement as it currently has - so can just be a plain shaft with two gears. This results in it being up to 4x stronger than standard - but cheap & easy to produce. However, 8274's are well catered for in upgrades form other companies - so it's probably better to produce a whole new winch and side-step the competition!

Si

Would your fantasy winch work like a capstan with a take up spool so that line pull and rope capacity isn't compromised? That's what I would start thinking of.

Alternatively a big flat winch drum with the drive on the edge like a Scammell winch. Bit heavy though.

My Fantasy winch :D

Twin motor

Big/Wide drum 38m of 12mm rope

Air freespool

Automatic 3 speed gears (with manual override) 1. Standard 2. I'm very stuck in the mud (2:1 or 3:1 reduction) 3. Very fast for line retraction (2:1 or 3:1 increase) - or auto geared to keep a minimum load on the rope

Auto line laying on drum under low tension (just enough to prevent rope cutting in to previous layer) even when there is no load

Smooth braking

Motor load/torque + temp and line out distance readings and alarms

Small form factor for very little reduction in approach/departure angles and extra weight

Silent operation

and costs less than £100 :lol:

My Fantasy winch :D

Twin motor

Big/Wide drum 38m of 12mm rope

Air freespool

Automatic 3 speed gears (with manual override) 1. Standard 2. I'm very stuck in the mud (2:1 or 3:1 reduction) 3. Very fast for line retraction (2:1 or 3:1 increase) - or auto geared to keep a minimum load on the rope

Auto line laying on drum under low tension (just enough to prevent rope cutting in to previous layer) even when there is no load

Smooth braking

Motor load/torque + temp and line out distance readings and alarms

Small form factor for very little reduction in approach/departure angles and extra weight

Silent operation

and costs less than £100 :lol:

apart from the £100.... you've described a saley winch :)

apart from the £100.... you've described a saley winch :)

I don't think it does auto line laying, it might have gears (I thought 2 speed) but not automatic gears

No line out distance reading

Most winches meet some of these criteria but not all.

For gearing/speed I though the following would be ideal

Where Ground speed < wheel speed (i.e. low traction) then increase torque to try and increase ground speed up to wheel speed

Where Ground speed = wheel speed (i.e. good traction) then winch line speed = ground speed

Where Ground speed > wheel speed (i.e sliding down a hill) apply the brakes :D

lol.... i'm all for the KISS theory ! I think i'd prefer being able to select my gear, this way you know what it's going to do when ;) you might be able to do what you want (kind of) with a 2 stage hydraulic pump :)

Ground speed is normally the same as wheel speed.

What happens when you winch in the front and spin the wheels in reverse ? A handy little technique ;)

My wish list :

bearings on the drum

variable power (i.e. hydraulic spool valve)

gears (but 3 + free, not 2 like i have now)

big rope capacity

Auto line laying / distances etc aren't on my list :lol:

G

Our list was surprisingly similar! I think if it makes it beyond the prototype stage you'll be quite pleased!

I'm surprised by the 'silent operation' wish! I rather like the clicking noise the 8274 makes! It's innevitable it will make some noise, probably similar to a Tds by virtue of having straight cut gears as they are stronger than helical.

It's not quite going to be £100 - even a motor worth having costs double that!

We didn't think of the auto line spooling. It's difficult to do - but something that works under low tension is certainly possible. Most of the others are there in one form or another though!

If you come and ply me with Beer at Billing - I MIGHT show you my prototype!

I have another idea which needs prototyping - which actually came from Helicopter winches! Essentially a winch head with the motor and a self tensioning helical capstan which feeds the rope into a remote storage device. The potential advantage of this is unlimited space available for the rope and a very small form factor for the winch head, with constant line pull / speed. The 'clever' bit is the rope storage!

Si

The 'clever' bit is the rope storage!

Si

How could this be, maybe a double drum winch with one drum slightly smaller than the other so the tension or pulling drum has plenty of rope to maintain tension and the smaller drum to store the rope but not under load, could never work.

How could this be, maybe a double drum winch with one drum slightly smaller than the other so the tension or pulling drum has plenty of rope to maintain tension and the smaller drum to store the rope but not under load, could never work.

I thought of a 2 drum / capstan + drum as well with sprung tensioner to adjust the storage drum speed

i.e

line goes tight and straighter, the movement of sprung tensioner slows second drum speed

or

line goes slack and the sprung tension wheel takes up slack and it's movement speeds up motor

This would also take in to account that the second drum's rope intake will speed up as it stores more layers of rope.

As there is little/no tension on the storage drum then not auto laying won't be problem.

I have another idea which needs prototyping - which actually came from Helicopter winches! Essentially a winch head with the motor and a self tensioning helical capstan which feeds the rope into a remote storage device. The potential advantage of this is unlimited space available for the rope and a very small form factor for the winch head, with constant line pull / speed. The 'clever' bit is the rope storage!

Si

Is this not what the nokken winch on the 101 does?

Daan