Replacing the diff pinion oil seal

Good evening people,

I am following Les' guide to replacing the diff pinion oil seal. All going well right up to the point I have to get the old seal out.

It seems to have become one with the diff itself. It will not lever out, it just disintegrates. Can I burn it out, cut it out ? Any ideas ?

What started out as a fun couple of hours laying under the landie in the sun, now has the potential to be a right pain in the *$%e.

Cheers,

Nick

Try putting a self tapping screw into it, then use a claw hammer on the screw to leaver the seal out. Thats what I do when they are being a pain in the arse.

Jon

Self taper just pulls through the rubber (as its petrified and just comes apart). I have had a claw hammer in there but worried about the shaft still sticking out of the diff (I assume I don't have to take that out as its not in Les' guide :-)

Have you tried hitting it with a centre punch in a couple of places to distort the metal in the seal? This should distort the metal pulling it in from the sides making it easier to lever out.

The seal is rubber sits flush to the face of the diff, it also sits in a groove. If I hit it with anything, won't it damage the face it sits flush against. It literally does just fall apart. If I pull the rubber at all it just tears and comes off in my hand.

Nick

Hmmm which diff type is this? Rover or Salisbury?

Both seal type have metal in them, the Rover diff seal (FRC8220) is metal coated rubber for everything but the actual lip and the salisbury seal is so flimsy I cant see you having a problem pulling that out.

Hmmm which diff type is this? Rover or Salisbury?

Both seal type have metal in them, the Rover diff seal (FRC8220) is metal coated rubber for everything but the actual lip and the salisbury seal is so flimsy I cant see you having a problem pulling that out.

Thanks for coming back to me. I'm starting to think I must be doing something very wrong and therefore looking for an exploded view of the diff. Am I removing just the rubber seal (part number you mentioned) or something different ?

The problem seems to be the rubber itself has got very hot and petrified (like a really old hose or something), any levering, or screwing just results in it falling apart.

I will try a photo.

Nick

It's just the seal you are removing as shown in these two pictures from Les's thread

Before

med_gallery_2_160_110039.jpg

After

med_gallery_2_160_472383.jpg

From the second picture you can see how far out the seal extends, it is the outer part which contains the metal that needs distorting.

Hold your new seal up against the old one to get a better idea how big the old one is

It's just the seal you are removing as shown in these two pictures from Les's thread

Before

med_gallery_2_160_110039.jpg

After

med_gallery_2_160_472383.jpg

From the second picture you can see how far out the seal extends, it is the outer part which contains the metal that needs distorting.

Hold your new seal up against the old one to get a better idea how big the old one is

The outer part of the seal contains the metal that needs distorting.... I just re-read my original post and realised it could be misinterpreted.

Get a screwdriver in there and give it a few whacks of the hammer on one side, it'll tilt and you'll be able to lever it out.

Hth

Mo

Sorry I feel like a complete idiot. Whack what and where - Starting to feel like I am being overly cautious. I was concerned about damaging the seating for the new seal. I think I need to have a look at an exploded view.

The outer part of the seal contains the metal that needs distorting.... I just re-read my original post and realised it could be misinterpreted.

You know what, I'm starting to wonder if mine is in upside down. Looking at Les' second picture (the one with the silver spring ring facing outward), mine even look like that at the start of this saga. Everything was facing down into the diff, not outward.

There are two types of seal the one that Les shows is the better one but the frc8220 (which it sounds like you have) doesn't have the lip sticking out like the one in Les's picture.

So I doubt yours is upside down. The bit you need to worry about damaging is the line between the outer circumference of the seal and the metal of the diff outside of this. Behind the seal is the bearing, I don't think there is a lip (I could be wrong).

Anyway when looking at the seal straight on place a centre punch a couple of mm in from the outer most edge of the seal and thwack it with a hammer.This will cause it to bend in, do it in a couple of places and then should pull out easily.

EDIT: your seal probably looks like the one in the 'before' picture

Edited by CwazyWabbit

There are two types of seal the one that Les shows is the better one but the frc8220 (which it sounds like you have) doesn't have the lip sticking out like the one in Les's picture.

So I doubt yours is upside down. The bit you need to worry about damaging is the line between the outer circumference of the seal and the metal of the diff outside of this. Behind the seal is the bearing, I don't think there is a lip (I could be wrong).

Anyway when looking at the seal straight on place a centre punch a couple of mm in from the outer most edge of the seal and thwack it with a hammer.This will cause it to bend in, do it in a couple of places and then should pull out easily.

EDIT: your seal probably looks like the one in the 'before' picture

Seal does look before, you are right. I am starting to think I have been a little too delicate (I haven't quite recalibrated to that term on a Landie!). Just checking one more time, but the seal is the whole thing right up to the edge of the diff ?. Does the bearing stay inside the diff or come out with the seal ?

I really appreciate your help. I got the landie to have some fun but also to learn, so I am taking it pretty steady.

Nick

Seal does look before, you are right. I am starting to think I have been a little too delicate (I haven't quite recalibrated to that term on a Landie!). Just checking one more time, but the seal is the whole thing right up to the edge of the diff ?. Does the bearing stay inside the diff or come out with the seal ?

I really appreciate your help. I got the landie to have some fun but also to learn, so I am taking it pretty steady.

Nick

No Probs see my picture :)

Oh and leave the bearing in the diff

post-25689-0-36691400-1312227956_thumb.jpg

BTW if you fancy trying the self tapper approach put it in the same place where my picture above says to hit it. There is metal under that rubber so it will hold the screw well once started (you'll probably need a small pilot hole). I find the hit it with a punch method works and is easier than the self tapper but whatever works for you is what works for you :)

Nick

Just aquick note on the word delicate. In the Landrover dictionary, delicate is defined as "use a 10lb hammer, not a 14lb hammer". just so you know in the future....

Just aquick note on the word delicate. In the Landrover dictionary, delicate is defined as "use a 10lb hammer, not a 14lb hammer". just so you know in the future....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'll remember that in future....do they have a recommended metric version ?