poly bush troubles

im haveing trouble with my trail arm to chassis bushes splitting,ive tried the flo flex orange and the polybush orange bushes and niether have lasted very long,ive got a 2" lift,adrenalin 4x4 double cranked trail arms,+5" terrafirma shocks and x eng spring extenders,i know the obvious route would be to fit rose or johnny joint arms but with a few other projects going at min funds wont allow,i would have thought that with only +5" shocks the polybushes would stand up to this amount of flex,does anyone have any tips that would prelong the life of the bushes or is rose/johnny joint the only way to go? and if so has anyone had any experiance with them on the road(i use my truck about 30% on road 70% off) thanks

I had almost the same suspension set up on my last truck but used super pro bushes and never had a problem. Over the years I have tried most of the other makes of polly bushes including genuine polly bushes and none have lasted. Now I would only fit super pro or go genuine OEM rubber ones.

HTH

Brookers

I had almost the same suspension set up on my last truck but used super pro bushes and never had a problem. Over the years I have tried most of the other makes of polly bushes including genuine polly bushes and none have lasted. Now I would only fit super pro or go genuine OEM rubber ones.

HTH

Brookers

ive heard the super pro are meant to be good bushes but didnt know anyone that had actually used them,i'll give them a try,thanks

Why not the X-arms then you get the best of both.

i was looking at these at billing this year and they look great and look well designed,a bit further down the line once ive got my other projects out the way i think i'll look into a sett of these

Superpro all the way. Truck is so stabilized I barely fell I am in a defender :o !!

Ditto, It's actually transformed my 90 I will definitely be buying them again-I also got great service from Alive tuning too when buying them (I'm not affiliated with them at all)

• 1 month later...

well i bought a set of superpro bushes and ive been out in the truck today to a local p&p day (1 outing) and guess what? the superpro trail arm bushes have split,so thats flo flex,poly bush and superpro now,im going to try genuine rubber bushes and if they split im fitting a set of x arms

what i cant understand is my mate has virtually the same set up as me,were both on bearmach springs,both got adrenalin 4x4 double cranked arms,both got +5" shocks,hes got yellow britpart polybushes and hasnt split one,the only thing different on my truck is ive got KAM locker in the rear and X spings,could these be a factor (extra stress)in why my bushes dont last 2 minutes?

Sorry this is going to be no help to you but, I think your mate should remove his bushes and frame them as anything made by Britpart lasting more than a week or two is virtually unknown lol. I once replaced my bottom rear shock bushes with Britpart (rubber) and they lasted a whole three days! That's a cost of £1.25 a day! lol.

I don't know, but here in Colombia you can't buy Land Rover bushes (too expensive, we are talking on 25 squids a piece for a trail arm bush), so everybody have Britpart. Since I put them, I had no problems until now, 65.000 km of really hard on and off road with heavy weights (my Defender in a normal day carries around 1 ton, with short peaks of 1.8 ton every week). I know Britpart is known as a trash brand, and undobtely inferior to Genuine, but until now have been a good choice for me.

My tip is to put them back in the box and run normal rubber bushes :)

Offroad it'll be a lot better :)

Seconded

I have tried all the spendy bling jelly options all ended in the bin

All are worse than genuine

My advice is if you can't afford the x eng - or like me are tight and like to DIY it

Get genuine ones drill holes in them and make saucer shaped washers and make

Them greaseable so you can pump grease into the assembly

I have done all the above (and more) to mine and get flex that amazes many

For less than the jelly options - and they last !

Nige

Seconded

I have tried all the spendy bling jelly options all ended in the bin

All are worse than genuine

My advice is if you can't afford the x eng - or like me are tight and like to DIY it

Get genuine ones drill holes in them and make saucer shaped washers and make

Them greaseable so you can pump grease into the assembly

I have done all the above (and more) to mine and get flex that amazes many

For less than the jelly options - and they last !

Nige

But your truck doesn't get out of the garage any more Nige :hysterical:

when my mate bought the yellow britpart bushes the bloke at paddocks told him they were the same compund/texture as standard rubber bushes,i know britpart are a bit of a joke in the 4x4 community but ive got to say im pretty impressed with how my mates have lasted,a lot of people though that know there stuff have advised standard bushes over polybushes(on here and elsewhere)

but i think im gonna fit a set of x arms and just have done with it,im sick of swapping and changeing the bushes and sick of limping home from offroading with the arse end swaying about all over the place,endangering my lifes one thing but its not fair to endanger other peoples

Mart I run the same set up as you, tarantula cranked arms, +2 TF springs, +5 TF shocks and with flo-flex bushes and my trailing arm bushes are fine, I've had them on for almost a year with a combo of heavy towing, play days and 'enthusiastic' driving round roundabouts.

It might be worth sticking a picture up so that we can see how bad the bushes are and wether the arms are cranked enough to avoid undue stress on the bushes.

Harry

here you go mate,flo flex are the bushes i used to allways use,and to be fair they lasted,it only seems to be since fitting the X springs and KAM locker i seem to be haveing trouble with trail arm bushes which is whats makeing me think that the combination of it all is putting to much strain on the bushes,and to be fair i do drive it hard off road003cko.jpg

002fv.jpg005hma.jpg

quick update ive just purchased a pair of x arms,the money ive spent on all these poly bush sets i could have bought a set of x arms in the first place so hopefully i wont be haveing this trouble again,thanks for the help/advice everyone

Glad to hear you've got it sorted, i'm a bit worried about fitting my x-springs now! :wacko:

Glad to hear you've got it sorted, i'm a bit worried about fitting my x-springs now! :wacko:

i wouldnt worry mate,the x springs are a great bit of kit,ive spoke to simon on the phone when i ordered my arms and i also know another bloke running x springs,simon explained in detail on the phone about polybushes and what parts there good in and what parts there not,i think with the combination of +5 shocks,locker and x springs added with aggressive off road driveing the polybush just arent upto the job in the trail-chassis,give the standard ones a try a lot of people have recomended them