new defender

boaterboy

A 'shop I saw on Pirate:

landrover-dc100-concept-mod2.jpg

... The damn thing's growing on me.

But I'm sure it'll be completely different from the final product, the Evoque was the exception to the rule that a concept never looks a thing like the final product.

I somewhat doubt they'll keep the modular body the current Defender has, it's just too inefficient for mass production. There's no reason it won't have a separate chassis, the RRS still has it that way, so the DC100 can too. It would probably be cheaper to produce a separate chassis-cab than to make it modular (and hand-assembled).

Solid axles would be nice, but I doubt they'd still go for that. It would probably stop them from sharing a platform with other models, jacking the price up, and the newer models prove that IS does work off-road. Yes, harder to modify, but I don't think that's going to stop them. Their largest markets don't need 5" lifts. And those that do need it, will make long travel kits, or swap in solid axles, or whatever.

Here's to hoping they prod a TDV8 in there, that would be mucho nice :D

I really like it!

If you look at the number of Toyota 70 Series being used by the military all over the world, compared to the number of Defenders - I think that style of vehicle has a future with the military - particularly when tweaked by the likes of Jankel & Ricardo.

I've driven a D3 off road - and was really surprised & impressed with where it would go - including places I doubted a Defender on the same tyres, even with Lockers would manage. I think using the D3/D4/RRS platform as a basis for a new Defender, perhaps with Coil Springs could do pretty well as an off roader.

I've bought a Suzuki Jimny (Sorry!) to play with & modify. It's been interesting to see as an evolution of a Suzuki SJ. They've sold pretty well - and look a lot more modern than an SJ or Vitara - so it makes me think that a Defender with a more ergonomic and practical interior plus creature comforts that people now expect as standard on a modern vehicle (like a working heater & headlights brighter than side lights) will sell well.

OK, I admit, Toyota 70's and Jimnys still have beam axles and a ladder chassis - but even a brand new Defender has more in common with an SJ410 or a Toyota 40 Series and while other manufacturers have moved on, Defenders have been left behind. Better they catch up than drop the model entirely.

Si

A 'shop I saw on Pirate:

Here's to hoping they prod a TDV8 in there, that would be mucho nice :D

now i like that! i wouldn't mind see the 110 version tho! i also read a while back that it was getting the 2.8 from disco because "its powerful, green and a good all round commercial engine" but im not sure about the name of it dc100 its to much like the dyson dc10 :rolleyes:

A 'shop I saw on Pirate:

... The damn thing's growing on me.

The school boy inside me got all excited seeing that. A bit flashy I'll grant you but it looks good and most importantly, it looks functional. It's not too much of a departure from the Defender but still modern enough to tick all the marketing boxes.

That is a different vehicle from the other pics isn't it? Or am I just being thick? It gets my approval :)

I wouldn't be too worried about the new Defender and put some trust in JLR- the L322 RR is probably one of the best cars in the world and just happens to be massively capable offroad, the RR Sport is again the best car in its class (think Merc ML and BMW X5 etc), Disco3&4 best tow of the year etc again highly capable offroad. All 3 models have either stuck to their main design briefs or created them in the case of the Sport. The Evoque and Freelanders created their own classes and havnt been beaten at it yet.

I'm sure in a few years time when the new Defender is due to be released things will be looking better.

I must say that black defender mock up does look very nice :) much more in keeping with what I expected than the silver car in the other preview shots.

Also I do agree with JLR's current line up there is certainly hope as their products are very good currently compared to others in the market. Its whether they can get the defender right as a "utility" rather the more luxuary moves they have been making over the past 10 years that will be the key point I reckon.

tiddly engine then - VW launched a 2.0 Amarok bakkie in South Africa last year to compete against the Jap & Chinese pick-ups and double cabs, and seem to have spent every press and PR opportunity defending the underpowered motor, which has tarnished the image of what otherwise is a decent enough car. Pretty much every motoring mag ran head to head tests against bigger engined rivals which made it look fairly puny.

Pah, I quite like those, and I reckon they'd sell 'em too - maybe not so many in the UK but in sunny places.

Not a suitable Defender replacement though. Quite a few things that suggest they haven't entirely forgotten about the Defender though - 3 abreast across the front seat, grab handles on the dash, user-controlled selectable 2x4, hi/lo ratios, and handy tie-downs in the back for stuff. I suspect that's the sort of stuff that will find its way into the next Defender, while the california hairdresser bodywork might find its way to being a successor to the 1st gen rag-top freebies.

By the photos - looks like it might even be available as an Auto! Like someone said above, once you add a few accessories and decent tyres - it looks great.

I'm guessing the roll bar on the Sport version is not going to be MSA approved? ;)

So long as the Sport isn't too heavy - a 2L engine might be fine. If you compare the power you get out of a Td5 or Puma to a Tdi - both having the same capacity, a modern 2L cannot be written off as puny!

Si

The report says the sport gets a 2.0 petrol, and the regular DC100 gets a 2.0 diesel - could be duff info or a typo though, a 2.0 diesel would seem a tad small though.

I've always been very impressed with the GM/Fiat 1.9 twincam diesel fitted to Saabs/Alfas etc - 150bhp out of a 1.9 aint bad. Had masses of torque for a saloon, but it would certainly struggle in a 4x4 methinks.

Perhaps it gets a supercharger??

The (now 10+ years old) 2.0 TD4 in the Freelander has plenty of go, I'm sure it would propel a defender as well as any of the old 4-pot lumps. ~150hp and ~250lb/ft, with VNT too. I'm half tempted to drop one into an old Series as I'm sure it would make a brilliant commuter runabout.

yuk. well. the sport would be quite nice if renamed to the freelander sport. looks quite freelanderish

I think the Sport version looks better front on than earlier version. The body coloured bumper section across the front works better.

There's another image on Autocar site that show a different look too...

e7466153.jpg

thats more in the right direction but its still not 100%

heck, they should do a LTD edition series 2A bodied land rover with a TDV6, and modern engineering. i would defo buy one of them.