TD5 Fuel Tank in 200tdi

C18RCH

If I were to fit a plastic fuel tank out of a TD5 in my 200tdi what would be required?

I know I would need different brackets but would I be able to use the pump out of my existing tank and if not is the td5 fuel pump compatible with a 200tdi?

Rich

Two issues, tank mounting and fuel feed (ie. pump). I believe you have a 110 so that avoids the third issue of filler location (Tdi 90s had a side tank).

Mounting the tank shouldn't be that difficult, the Td5 uses a saddle underneath similar to the Tdi setup (which would probably require some fettling where it meets the chassis) and also a strap that goes across the top of the tank from the outside of one chassis rail to the outside of the other. This attaches to brackets which would need to be fabricated and welded onto the chassis each side. Nothing more than a few bits of bent metal and some time with the welder, but it's not a bolt-on mod in that respect.

With regard to the pump, the short answer is no the Td5 pump isn't suitable. Some on here have tried it without success, though that's not to say it's not doable at all. Tdis don't need a pump in the tank, and since Land Rover made ROW-spec 300Tdis from 1998 up to 2006 or so with the Td5 plastic tank (as well as Pumas from 2007 on which don't need an in-tank pump either), there is a bolt-on solution for this. Part number WQB100440 will get you a fuel tank sender unit which also has pipe connections for the fuel pickup and return. It's basically the same as the Td5 pump but without the pump bit! It is costly though, so if you can find a way of using the Td5 pump unit for this purpose, go for it :)

Thats useful, cheers.

I've been told I can get bolt on brackets from richards chassis if I don't want to weld the chassis, which I don't. It's just the pump issues that I was wondering about. Won't be for a while before I try it, if I do but I'll let you know how I get on.

Rich

I fitted one to use as a second tank on a 90.

You need the tank guard/cradle, and fabricate some brackets to either weld or clamp round th chassis - I welded them on as it was easier.

You don't need a strap to go over the top - it all fits very snuggly and there's no upward movement for the tank.

Not sure about the rear crossmemner on a 110 as they have a rear tank nyway, but on older 90's you have to modify a folded bracing section a little (a slice at either side and flail it out the way with a hammer) or the tank wont quite fit in the space.

Ref the pump - wonder if it would be feasible to dismantle to the stage where the pump internals could be removed to get rid of any restriction and allow free flow straight through, or just tap a fitting into the top with a pick up pipe inside the tank and blank off the electric pump outlet/return

You can suck fuel out of the low pressure outlet side OK, getting it back in the return is another matter. It seems to have a pressure sensitive valve in the return which is open on tickover but that closes once the fuel really starts flowing back whilst driving. Find this, knock it out and it'll work fine or experiment with using either the hp pickup or return, or just tap a return into the top.

I ran out of time to experiment and bought a Tdi pickup instead as the trip loomed but I would like to have got the return sorted on point of principle :)

HTH

Mo

I have a second tank in the back of my 300tdi 90

A few things to say to get over the problem you have mentioned

To fill up the rear tank I have a Y bit of tube from the original filler that if you fill up to the right it fills the front tank and to the left fills the rear tank. So I only have one fuel filler.

As for getting the fuel. I have a switch on the dash and a V 8 fuel pump which when the front tank is empty then you turn on the pump and pump the fuel from the rear tank to the front tank. goes in to the return pipe on the front tank. And as you drive along you watch the fuel gauge go up as the front tank is filled

See easy

Ali

• 1 year later...

Another instance of holy thread revival Batman!

Thanks to some judicious ebaying a 110 Td5 tank is now mine for the princely sum of 99p + £15 postage. I decided to go down this route as the current steel one leaks from the seems, and it allows for future installation of a Td5 should my 200 Tdi ever die.

Sadly the thing is minus sender/pump, but I plan to either adapt a disco 300 tdi one (essentially use its guts mounted onto a plate suitable for the defender tank's orifice) or just stump up for P/N WQB100440, which LRDirect list at £69+VAT for an allmakes one, which I can live with.

My question is about physically mounting the thing. Because I've already had my chassis galv'd I don't want to do any welding to it, but I don't mind drilling holes. Does anybody have any piccies of their installation or of bolt-on-brackets they've made? I'm sure it's a simple task, especially using this as a reference, but thought I'd ask the question.

lj0019.gif

As a final complication, I'd quite like one day to fit a Guardian/Southdown style tank-guard/tow-hitch. Presumably a TD5 one will need to be fitted?

As someone else has resurrected it :)

I have built a custom fuel system for a 90 using a TD5 tank. A 300TDi sender unit out of a discovery (plastic tank era) fits into the tank without any problems and gives you the required in and out pipes. The unit is the same size and fitting as the TD5 one. The unit has a "self adjusting" pickup that means it will always be within a few mm of the bottom of the tank. (It's nothing special, just a plastic pickup tube that slides up and down the metal tube with a spring to keep it in position. The fuel sender unit is as accurate as the TD5 one (not very) but it works.

The only thing it's missing is a swirl pot however you can either do without it (as I have done) or if you could get the swirl pot out of the Disco tank you could fix that to the bottom of your tank.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Lesmond, had a look at your brackets....looks simple enough.

It won't exactly be the world's most complicated piece of fabrication, but has anyone got any pics of the standard arrangement on a 110? Or diagrams out of the RAVE? Away from home at the moment with the work laptop so can't look. Any help appreciated

Matt