LT230 PTO DIY kit possibly on its way

Soren Frimodt

All sound interesting having seen fast pto winches in action in Europe.

They seem to work very well for pulls across ground were traction is only there 25 - 50% of the time (like a deep river) where if using an electric winch you would have to slow down to stop running over your own rope.

would love to see what you are going to use as the winch.

Seen people use diffs with basically a spool fitted and drum mounted on the drive shaft.

How are you going to do the brake?

I had thought about using a disc brake that worked off the foot brake, as this is what you would naturally be doing to stop the drive assist, then use a line lock to lock the drum if you need to hang of the cable etc..

Seen people use diffs with basically a spool fitted and drum mounted on the drive shaft.

If you were to drive into the pinion from the PTO then use one of the wheel drives to connect to your drum and fit a disk brake on the other (with an open diff) you could slip the brake to vary the speed of the line. Release the brake and you have freespool / disengage.

If the PTO is left engaged, then your foot-brake locks the winch line (as the PTO is connected directly to the wheels). This gives the variable speed for drive assist as well as freespool relatively cheaply.

Ratio wise, you get 20,000Lb pull for 470ftlb of torque into the pinion. 1st gear on an R380 is about 3.3:1 so to get 20,000 Lb pull, you need an engine torque of 142ftLb

which is achievable with most engines.

Speed wise, at 1000rpm on the engine, it gives 44ft/min. A stock 8274 with no load runs at about 70ft/min.

1000rpm in first gear low gives a wheel speed of 230ft/min based on 35" Tyres - so actually, to be able to pull in at the same speed as you are driving (assuming 100% traction) the reduction to the drum would be closer to 1:1. Alternatively, with the diff setup, you could just use a 6" or bigger diameter drum I guess.

Si

Looks good!

Any plans for a drop box to get the drive facing forward for a more traditional set up?

Rather than this, run a winch in the rear, and the rope going round a snatch block at the rear bumper and coming forward. 1 winch, pulls both ways, and makes the engineering much easier/cheaper.

So here you go guys, after a very long, tiring but productive day, we finally have something substantial to show ;)

First we did a prototype adapter made from ordinary steel. just to get the programming right and make sure everything worked as supposed.

Then we did three production units from CRNIMO6 ChromeNickel. These will then get shipped out next week to get the splines cut, the only thing that we sadly couldn't do ourselves.

Anyways I suppose the pictures says the most, please notice the taper on the adapter with a radius of 38,9mm to match that of the diffhousing piece we use from the LT230 ;)

Two of the members of the "development team":

post-9137-0-28405500-1317497786_thumb.jpg

The super fancy drawing: ;)

post-9137-0-36159700-1317497803_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-78219400-1317497816_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-20135300-1317497825_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-40019100-1317497835_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-17450400-1317497848_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-21897300-1317497862_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-68362200-1317497872_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-20077500-1317497885_thumb.jpg

post-9137-0-21247800-1317497899_thumb.jpg

And to top it off, a short video, demonstrating the function:

Hi guys, just some quick answers to some of your questions.

No plans for a front output PTO, as it is not relevant to us.

Price is still very uncertain until we get the adapters back from splining.

And yes you will simply remove the top lid to fill oil.

The only mod that is required to the centerdiff housing is to cut off the casting for the gearbox mount.

And Nath thank you for your input, really appreciated, but I think we will draw our own experiences from this build, but very kind of you anyways.

Any other questions, just ask!

Do you think the lt230 pto spline will be strong enough for the drive?

I'm on an identical path to you (except you've made more progress in a week than i have in a year)

I've chosen to use a lt95 because of the stronger drive, i'm making the drive out of a fairey overdrive.

Do you think the lt230 pto spline will be strong enough for the drive?

I'm on an identical path to you (except you've made more progress in a week than i have in a year)

I've chosen to use a lt95 because of the stronger drive, i'm making the drive out of a fairey overdrive.

The PTO dog teeth on an LT230 do appear to be very light duty compared to LT95 and Series PTOs

Probably ok for the regular 30 to 60:1 worm drive winches, but I wouldn't have much confidence in their ability to deliver 140 lb ft of torque as per Simons post.

I wonder what the makers of the Esarco 8x8s did to beef up the PTO drive when they joined 2 LT230s together via the PTOs?

Bill.

Is there any spare splining on the inside of the LT230 input gear? If it's up to taking the input torque from the gearbox it should be up to siphoning a bit of it back out the other end.

There's no spare splining on mine when mated to the r380...

I suppose you could shorten the gearbox output shaft.... the splines are missing from the end of my output shaft anyway from before it had the cross drilled input gear in the transfer box.

The PTO Splines don't look that weedy though, and of course the increased diameter at that location would reduce the pressure placed upon them.

In my humble opinion, the splines are more than strong enough!

If you compare it to a half shaft with tiddly little, shallow splines which in the case of uprated shafts will still hold at about 7000Nm when the shaft breaks - I think this amount of torque (500Nm) is trivial.

Si

I bet the diameter of the spline is your saving grace here; I run a 9:1 ratio myself, even so I think the gkn overdrive utilizes the same spline. You may want to use the version that has double the teeth count, but I dont know which output gear that is.

daan

I bet the diameter of the spline is your saving grace here; I run a 9:1 ratio myself, even so I think the gkn overdrive utilizes the same spline. You may want to use the version that has double the teeth count, but I dont know which output gear that is.

daan

I've seen quite a few of the direct drive type pto winches and none have broken the splines to date....... we have been lifting... large steel transformers up power lines :blink: even to the point the actual,landrover was going up with it :hysterical:

Daan, how do you get on with drive assist with your winch?

nath

Daan, how do you get on with drive assist with your winch?

nath

Very well, I always use drive assist. It obviously is not 1:1 with the wheels, but it makes an incredibly usefull setup; 1 winch for all uses. It never failed to get me out, using the standard x-eng groundanchor.

Daan

Some wise words and good questions floating about here, great stuff

First off the the handbrake is just a weightsaving attempt for a 1600kg trial 90" from yesteryear.. Not recommendable as it fills with carp in no time!

I think the PTO spline thing has been covered, and I can safely say that we do not expect this to be the weak spot of our winch setup. Actually we would like to be able to predict where exactly that weak spot is, but I don't think we can until we get some hands on experience, nothing in the automotive world is bombproof, so its all about controlling, and obviously minimizing the weak links.

We will be making a full spline count in our adapter so that it can fit onto the PTO spline of the stronger older units, but both 90"s are running the later weaker version so we will see if it works, if not they shall both get some old transfers fitted instead, but I think it'll hold up just fine.

The problem is that as far as I know you cannot have both a crossdrilled shaft AND one with the heavy duty PTO spline.