Rear storage draw - My latest project

I have now decided on my rear storage layout, well when I say decided I found one I like and will work for me and will copy it!! I did get excited when I found them until I looked at the price!! I have a CF50 in the back of the Landy that we use for drinks which leaves the one in the trailer for food a useful addition when you have 2 children!! I was going to secure it to the top of the single draw but looking at the way I used the back this weekend, I went back to the drawing board...

My needs for storage:

• Fridge
  • Recovery gear
  • Air Jack
  • Tyre inflater
  • Spares and Fluid
  • Tools
  • LifeSaver Jerry can
  • Spare wheel (longer journeys)
  • Water Proofs and boots

With all this in mind the below system seems to suit my needs I would still like to work a 'Mo style shelf' into the unit and I will make the top flat so that it sits just under the windows and gives me two side bins for some of the bulk storage it will be strong enough to lay the extra spare on. I may go for removal boxes as I like the idea of having the bits to hand when having to repair something but may go for draws I will have to see what sort of space I have when I begin to mock the unit up. I intend to line the top of the unit with carpet and edge with aluminium which will also create a nice clean surface for clothing etc and still allow me to get stuff into the back without the need to put any gear in the passenger compartment.

I now need to draw up some plans and sort out a cutting list and decide on the final layout, one thing I did note is I need to be careful to clear the door latch with the fridge slider but this shouldn't be a big problem, now that the diary is clearing out and weekends seem to be freeing up, I better get cracking....

Jason.

bm%20combo%20closed.jpg

bm%20combo%20open.jpg

A bit of drawing tonight allowed me to plan material, you have to love google!! as per the above the fridge will be on the Left and the draws on the right.

Jason.

post-15513-0-96168600-1318104316_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

This is what I made last spring for all my stuff. Low budget solution, but it works, and doesn't make a ratteling sound like those metal ones...

at the bottom is a drawer without rails, it's just resting on some pieces of Trespa (very hard, and slides very well.) Behind the drawer there is a compartiment that i can acces from my seat.

At the right side of the drawer I had to leave some space for the door, I made it just wide enough to store my spare propshaft.

Left I have installed one big box, divided into two (one dry one, for spare clothes etc, the other keeps my ropes, shackles - the dirty stuff) on the right side is one box, that fits my toolcase, and behind that a small platform to install the fridge

It has been installed for a few months now, and it suits me perfectly. I've placed a rubber mat on the wood, and made some minor adjustments

IMG_7727.jpg

IMG_7742.jpg

IMG_77772.jpg

IMG_77782.jpg

Andy

MoShelf :)

Mo

I hadn't got around to drawing the MoShelf yet, and not sure if I can afford the royalties!!! actually plan to put it under the fridge slider....

Jason.

This is what I made last spring for all my stuff. Low budget solution, but it works, and doesn't make a ratteling sound like those metal ones...

at the bottom is a drawer without rails, it's just resting on some pieces of Trespa (very hard, and slides very well.) Behind the drawer there is a compartiment that i can acces from my seat.

At the right side of the drawer I had to leave some space for the door, I made it just wide enough to store my spare propshaft.

Left I have installed one big box, divided into two (one dry one, for spare clothes etc, the other keeps my ropes, shackles - the dirty stuff) on the right side is one box, that fits my toolcase, and behind that a small platform to install the fridge

It has been installed for a few months now, and it suits me perfectly. I've placed a rubber mat on the wood, and made some minor adjustments

Andy

Nice build Andy.. I hope mine looks as good, going to get started on it this weekend hopefully.

Cheers, Jason.

So was going to start this project this weekend...... However as I purchased a new fridge on Friday :D and need to wait until it comes before I can check the measurements so it is again on hold. No rush really and I need to sort out a cutting list to maximise the plywood usage yet so guess I wasn't quite ready. Looking around I found this company so am going to a page out of their book and slant the sides as it gives a fair bit more storage.

So drawings are sort of done, the only thing I need to work out is the MoShelf â„¢ I think I am going to add a shelf under the fridge if there is room as not sure I need the whole back area as a shelf I also need to go to B&Q and get the hardware.

Jason.

post-15513-0-25963200-1320515282_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-27235600-1320515296_thumb.jpg

Doing some more drawings tonight, I may not go for the MoShelf TM but instead putting a draw within a draw type system to use the surface of the first draw as a shelf, I may yet put a MoShelf TM under the fridge but not sure yet.....

I intend to either paint the draws with Protectakote or line with carpet the fridge slider and the draw front I will probably make out of metal though. As for construction I was trying to figure out how to make it I think in sections sides and then the middle so that it can be removed is needed, also thinking about how to secure it, it will be pretty secure tight and I can fasten it to the dog guard but may use the existing lashing points to fasten it down further.

I also need to lighten the whole project so will be drilling some holes in the structure once constructed, it's amazing how doing this can shift more weight than a doggy Indian meal, as I found with the trailer.

Fridge, cutting list, hardware, build......

post-15513-0-25519500-1320534764_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-58905100-1320534779_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've just skimmed through the thread so this may already have been mentioned.

But if I made a shelf system like this I'd try to make a lid so that the drawer is accessible from above in case the rear door is blocked. It doesn't have to be fancy or easy to open since it's not meant to be used. :)

I've just skimmed through the thread so this may already have been mentioned.

But if I made a shelf system like this I'd try to make a lid so that the drawer is accessible from above in case the rear door is blocked. It doesn't have to be fancy or easy to open since it's not meant to be used. :)

Fair point, some of my storage will be available from above however the only issue I have with that is I have sealed my dog guard, A. to stop the screws rattling B. to improve security. so if I can't get in the back door I am stuffed anyway!!

• 4 months later...

This project like many that I start has taken more time than it should have!! I got embroiled into sorting out Dennis's truck which took many weekends!! Now that is out of the way I turned back to this. after looking again at what I wanted and picking some other bits up I have changed the design (again) and now commissioned someone to make it for me.

I am actually glad of the time as things have changed, I now intend to go to Norway next February thanks to a post on here so am starting to consider this with the truck also, I will need to sleep in the truck so will need to make a bed area on top of the unit and am wanting to fit my Eberspacher so needed to reconsider what I wanted out of it, making the unit out of wood I was in danger of making the truck too heavy!!

Therefore I am now going to make the unit out of 2mm zintec, when I say I am going to make it Will at Crossman engineering will be folding and cutting it... Will made my trailer and did a great job, I spoke to him the other week but he seemed to busy to take it on and didn't get back to me. I looked around but couldn't find anyone willing to take on the job, despite economy small fabrication companies seem really busy and are not that keen to take on one off projects, I guess they see them as aggregation although I was willing to supply full drawings and mock ups so just price themselves out of the market. I called will again at the beginning and it appears he was waiting for the drawing from me so my mistake, having worked with me before he I happy to take on another project and although they are busy can fit it in so great news, and for a reasonable price.

Drawings are attached the lid of the unit will be 9mm ply which will be topped with carpet and the zintec will be painted in black or I may get it power coated if I can afford it!!

So project is a go and should be done in a few weeks, now where have you heard that before!!!

Jason.

Rear Storage Final CC001.pdf

post-15513-0-83301100-1332457713_thumb.jpg

Dave NAS90 runs Cirrus Laser in Burgess Hill, West Sussex. They can laser cut & fold and are always willing to do one-off jobs. OK they will not do the installation, but you could laser cut and fold all the bits such that they just slot together. They can even pre-cut all the holes for rivets / bolts. They keep a huge inventory of material in stock including plastic giving weight saving potential. This at least would give you a finished article that looks every bit as good an something made by MSS.

Also, instead of fitting stiffnener bars - you could just fold them into the structure.

I was thinking about doing something similar but incorporating a cage sitting on top of the storage as I have a DoubleCab. It would be nice to be able to secure everything inside the soft top as well as leverage the storage options.

Si

Dave NAS90 runs Cirrus Laser in Burgess Hill, West Sussex. They can laser cut & fold and are always willing to do one-off jobs. OK they will not do the installation, but you could laser cut and fold all the bits such that they just slot together. They can even pre-cut all the holes for rivets / bolts. They keep a huge inventory of material in stock including plastic giving weight saving potential. This at least would give you a finished article that looks every bit as good an something made by MSS.

I was thinking about doing something similar but incorporating a cage sitting on top of the storage as I have a DoubleCab. It would be nice to be able to secure everything inside the soft top as well as leverage the storage options.

Si

Thanks Si, I know that you mentioned a couple of companies before I was trying to find somewhere local first, Crossman will laser cut the zintec, cut holes in where I need, and fold it I will be doing the assembly myself and have designed it to be modular so I can alter it if needed.

I did think about adding a cage to the top instead of ply Like the Mantec ones, but decided on ply as it will make a sleeping platform for Norway ^_^ I intend to make the top have lids so that I can get to all the compartments and will be moving my fridge battery into the back. I also picked up the unit below from eBay the other week at a bargain price!! I intend to fit it next to the fridge. I will also install my Airtronic within the unit. The new unit can be removed so when the trailer is on I can use it for storage boxes instead.

Jason.

post-15513-0-94990500-1332498776_thumb.jpg

Measure twice cut once!! I have just checked the profile via a bit of CAD (Cardboard Aided Design) and now made my 3rd amendment to the drawings, I am making the unit 80mm taller which when 9mm ply is added will put it at the same height as the bottom half of my dog guard, thus allowing me to make a sleeping platform.

Has anyone made a sleeping platform? have you got any drawings or photos of what you have? was planning to use the roof tent mattress and just take a platform from the dog guard to near the seats with some legs down to the floor (drawings to follow)

Jason.

Rear Storage Final CC003.pdf

post-15513-0-42082000-1332510412_thumb.jpg

The cage is fine to sleep on with a mattress over the top - I used to do a bit of winter wild camping with friends and rather than put the roof tent back on again for a quick overnight - I'd use the mattress, on top of the factory / oem dog guard slung accross the two wheel boxes in the back of the 110. Comfy enough, and would save alot of weight.

Unless your 'short' you'll need a bit of extra room beyond the dog guard to stetch out.

Love the plans btw, watching with interest, may do a similar version in the back of the disco.

Steve

Cheers Steve, I have measured it today and think using the top of the dog guard will be a bit short as you suggest, so I am going to have a look at how I use the full space in the back.

Will report back soon,

Jason.

So some more CAD this evening to check the bends etc 1/2 scale but will work without any issues and surprisingly strong out of card so the out of 2mm sheet should be even able to take my weight!!

Jason.

post-15513-0-87157900-1332540404_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-32259000-1332540420_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Metal has been cut and folded and arrived back to my house early this evening, I went to fit it and thought it didn't fit, I then realised that the tie downs were getting in the way so unbolted them and the unit fitted, the batons need drilling and I test drilled one to check for fit they will also need cutting for the middle partition.

I need to decide on how I am going to cover the metal I am thinking sticking carpet to it to act a a sound deadening material and stop any rattles but may just spray or power coat dependant on cost. I am really pleased with how they look and the quality of them they look very professional and when fitted but I have a way to go yet I also need to get some hinges and some wood for the top.

Family time over the bank holiday so realistically I am not going to get time to look at them for a couple of weeks but some thinking time to make sure every thing is as it should be. they are going to be fixed together with rivnuts (I think) but again this can change, they are strong enough to take my weight so sleeping on them will be fine.

Jason.

post-15513-0-38081600-1333574931_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-99431900-1333574962_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-28149400-1333574996_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-56761600-1333575021_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-34756500-1333575045_thumb.jpg

Powercoat will be preferred but it just depends on the cost, I may just spray it to keep the cost to a reasonable level, once assembled I don't think I will need to alter it again but have made it in this way so it can be so again paint may be a better choice.

Jason.

I didn't think I would get a lot of time today and TBH don't want to rush it but I started to assemble the storage unit today, I may need some other bits and might just use the sides for now until I get around to sorting it all out.

Jason.

post-15513-0-90443600-1333721224_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-87441500-1333721255_thumb.jpg