Rear storage draw - My latest project

After finishing my jobs early I got a bit of time but then realised I didn't have enough rivnuts or bolts so can get no further!!! a bit of a shame but slow and steady!!

Jason.

post-15513-0-21866000-1333737128_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-60770500-1333737150_thumb.jpg

Looks good Jason :D taking ideas for my trailer drawer.

G

Cheers Gareth, The problem is this type of project leads to all sorts of ideas!! I learn more about different construction methods and it opens up all sorts of possibilities. :blush:

Jason

OK, so having a think about things this evening, before I fit the unit I was thinking about insulating the back of the truck with some stick on insulation and maybe also the inside of the side pods to stop rattles and any drumming, I also noticed when I removed my carpet how there was no insulation on the top of the wheel boxes. Anyone got any experience with this sort of thing? What would you recommend?

Cheers, Jason.

Jason,

That was a mistake I made when constructing the draw - I'm going to rip it out this summer and insulate the wheel arches with closed cell aerofoil (B&Q ect) type stuff.

Do you think that will be up to the job? I always worry about that sort of stuff that it will just trap water, hence going for the foil type material that you find in engine bays.

Jason.

Just got back from a week away, and had 1/2 a day drilling and fitting rivnuts to fix the unit together, nearly there now, still got to decide on a few things about the right-O/S pod but fridge bit mounted and as you can see from the photo is fairly strong considering the unit was not designed to hold it's self together as shown but to use the Defender for support so it should be really strong when it's mounted in the Defender.

I had planned to just fix the side pods to the base with location studs but a change of mind had me drilling access holes to allow me to secure the middle two points with bolts. I have rounded off some of the corners and just trimmed some of the bits back to fit.

A couple of weeks to go yet but starting to get there, I plan to put my fridge 110amp battery behind the fridge and fit a fuse box (one of the ones from ebay) to this to add some auxiliary sockets to the rear and run the fridge and the heater.

Jason.

post-15513-0-79134000-1334521986_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-90241100-1334522046_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-12981400-1334522069_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-90574300-1334522092_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-37174500-1334522120_thumb.jpg

Nice build,

I am going to add a panel to mine with 12v sockets USB sockets and a 240v socket, I have a fuse box picked up from ebay for £5. I needed to add a fridge option and some other bits and also wanted a sleeping platform so went for the hight that would allow it to go over the bottom part of the dog guard, the right hand side will also fit my Plastor boxes that I currently use.

I added some carpet to mine this evening, and the sound proofing turned up today so I will get going on that, I need to get some ply for top but starting to get there, I have come up with a further idea for above the unit that will be used to store coats etc but that is still a work in progress (read my head!!)

Photos from phone so not the greatest.

Jason.

post-15513-0-13168500-1334692053_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-22159800-1334692094_thumb.jpg

Famous last words..... Almost there, well at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel...

Tonight was spent protecting myself from the aliens reading my thoughts :ph34r: (also made a foil hat!!!!) I have ordered some more carpet so am waiting for that to arrive I also need to get some 12mm ply for the top but it is really starting to come together.

I need to carpet the sides of the Landy, covering the special foil so that the aliens can't tell it's installed!! I also still have one of the side pods to finish, but apart from that my adventures into the land of carpet have ended, although my garage smells like new car!!!

So clearly that new car smell is carpet and glue!! Although I say I am finished I have some more bits order/add yet including lighting and power but I want to wait until I have it all installed before I order the bits I need.

I also sorted out the fridge today, The Engel fridge is great in that you can remove the feet and replace the screws with bolts I kind of new it would do this but was really happy with the way it fitted to the slider, I am going to spray the slider tray so that is still to be done, but the weather put pays to that this evening, I also need to put some eyelets in the fridge bag to allow it to fit onto the slider but that's just a little job, one more on the list!!

That's it for now, I hope to make some more progress tomorrow night depending on the carpet arriving.

Jason.

post-15513-0-28338100-1334771079_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-57676200-1334771105_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-91074300-1334771126_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-63905000-1334771151_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-52932400-1334771186_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-24404600-1334771232_thumb.jpg

Yes that's the way we're fitting our Engel to the slide. I'm still thinking of using the screws and turnbuckle though. You really need to see that fridge move about mounted at the bottom.

I may still use turn buckles also, I use straps in the trailer as that really does bounce around!!! I know the truck does also I need to look at it once everything is fitted together, this is our auxiliary fridge and is normally full of drinks so can be heavy... The sliders are quick release so if I want to remove the fridge I can just pull it out with the tray, which happens more than you think and allows for pre-loading/chilling down in the house and will also allow me to get to the battery/fuse unit if required.

What is the insulation you've used Jason? :)

The insulation is this stuff I read more than I though was possible on closed cell, open cell & bitumen backed. In the end I went for the bitumen backed material it offers great insulation and sound deadening values but is thin and mould-able so ideal for getting around the contours of the back, one of my big issues is that the storage unit has been made so I can't alter the sizes of the wheel box.

I was not cheap but I felt it was the best value and brought two lots enough to line most of the truck still need to do the seat box front floors and the battery box etc so lots of cutting and sticking yet!!

Jason.

OK getting somewhere this evening the carpet showed up today and it was all I could do not to just get on with it but work to conference calls to attend so it had to wait!!

I started by replacing the carpet over the rear wheel arches and extended it up the sides it was really simple and only took 20 mins, if if were to do it again I would take more care when sticking on the insulation as the ripples in the insulation showed through to the carpet but as they are covered it is not the end of the world. I didn't need to carpet the wings but the idea is the unit can be pulled out if needed so wanted to do it properly.

The next step was to finish covering the other pod which was fairly easy as I had learnt my lesson about how to stick the carpet on in sections rather than in one go!!

Then on to assembly as it has gone together a few times it wasn't an issue so again it only took 1/4 of an hour, it fits really well and is locked tight into place so isn't going anywhere!!

Now the fridge slider, when I planned it in my head I was aware that the fridge needed to clear the back door latch, that's on of the reasons for the sides coming out 15mm, however I didn't check the clearance since and had forgot about it!!! Fortune favours the brave and I am happy to report it is 'within tolerance!'

So things to finish:

• I have to get some 12mm ply and cover it for the top, including the side pods.
  • Electrical system needs to be sorted, battery fastened down and fuse box installed, I need to order some 12v sockets and some other bits so that will be a couple of weeks.
  • Shelf for above the unit (lightweight for coats)
  • Tow bar step
  • New boxes for storage
  • Cooking shelf for the rear door

So nearly there but today has been a great turning point, I will need to get some ply tomorrow if it stops raining and then I need to sort out some brackets for the coat shelf and a sleeping platform but again that can wait.

Jason.

post-15513-0-08762500-1334864502_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-85316300-1334864528_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-98288800-1334864552_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-03078200-1334864591_thumb.jpg

post-15513-0-50718000-1334864625_thumb.jpg

Nice wiring ideas/set up.

Is that a door aligning part off of a Discovery? It's a good idea!

Steve

Don't know mate as it was on when I bought it.

bluehaze.

Where did you get the fuse box. I assume one in and more out.

Auto wiring products - there is a direct feed from the leisure battery to the fuse box and then six 10amps out.