Newbie to megasquirt, thankyous and problems!

rusty_wingnut

Well, for starters, it appears that your throttle position sensor isn't working - It's listed as 0 all the way through the log. Should be about 10-15 minimum, up to 85-90 at WOT.

That won't affect steady state running, but will make a huge difference as soon as you stomp on the gas (or let off).

And it seems that your idle valve has a little too much influence - disconnect it and blank it off for the moment.

What are your EGO settings like?

Are you certain you're using the right one?

You still need to sort the non-working throttle sensor, and blank off the idle valve.

Once you've got it idling at 850rpm (ish) we can go from there.

(I'll add that when I installed mine, I had problems with the EDIS unit. Eventually traced it to incorrect settings in the MSQ - but I could have sworn that I was using the basic one that Nige had sent me.)

One thought that crossed my mind - if there's an air leak or the idle air valve is letting too much past then you're trying to get a stable idle in the driving bit of the map rather than in the bottom left corner of the map.

Also you want to raise your "EGO active above" to about 1500rpm, there's no need to have it kick in at 1000 and it won't help with idling. In fact, when sorting out basic problems like this it's best to set the authority to 0% for things like that so you eliminate it from the possibilities.

Got the TPS working, turned the EGO down to 0% control and have disconnected the PWM valve, seems a lot better, plugs are not as fouled up. It also doesn't smell as rich. There are not any obvious air leaks around the plenum or air inlet.

It does hunt around a bit at idle still, and the Fidle in the bottom corner of megatune is flicking on and off - which I assume it shouldn't?

Any guidance on the next course of action?

I have datalogged the engine with the situation as above if it's any use as well.

Datalogs are always helpful, along with the MSQ file.

A shot of your idle setup would be handy just to check, it's different if you're running PWM/closed-loop or just an on/off valve but hopefully all blanked off it shouldn't be affecting your idle. You should be able to get a V8 to start, run, and idle happily without any idle air valve. If you have it set as below, the FIDLE light will be lit until the coolant hits 50deg and then it should go out and pretty much stay out.

constants.pngidle_settings.png

Just to give an idea of what "situation normal" should look like, here's a log of mine idling:

datalog_idling.jpg

Useful stuff, cheers FF. I have found though that plug #8 is wet and not black like the rest pointing at a problem on that cylinder. I have swapped the plug lead for another new one, swapped spark plug and injector but no sign of any change. I will try testing the injector wires, but can't see that being the issue tbh.

Plug the cable into a spare injector and hold it. Fire it up. You'll know if the injector is working - it's quite a 'clack'/'clunk' if you've got it in your hand.

That should prove/disprove the wiring up to that injector.

You can also do similar with a spare spark plug - but G-clamp it to something grounded (don't want to be holding that one!). EDIS has an enormous bright blue spark - you won't miss it.

NO - Its POWERED Off, so Physically remove it as Mr Engineer says and then shove a solid rod of steel wood etc into the 2 ends of the 2 x hoses

Engines that have not run for some time can have a varnish on the injectors, this can make some stick - others clean up s engine is used, to clean the

injectors (WARNING IF YOU CATCH FIRE BURN OR KILL YOURSELF WARNING - :D ) get a large glass jar add 1/5 of high octane petrol, and 2 x bottles of forte engine cleaner

note FORTE INJECTOR cleaner nothing else is as good, then shove your Fuel pump into the mixture and your return pipe, start engine and keep at say 2000 rpm till all

the contents is gone, its a cheap and effective way to clean the injection system, to be seruiously effective the mix should be super strong and high octane to help

Plugs can fire when G Clamped to a surface, but fail under compression / heat / load / fuelled NGK BP6RES are your friend, soiled / wet / misfires eats plugs :(

Nige

*embarassed smiley* so I built up a little loom to check the integrity of the injector wires, listened to the one that was looking faulty, and no click, then checked it with it's powered pair and that to, was not opening. So I thought to check the power board one last time before tearing open the loom - low and behold buried under the bundle of power wires was one injector power cable that had worked it's way out of the clamp - refitted it and the tune of 8cyls was there - so hopefully that's the misfire cured! I have now run out of petrol so off to get some before compiling a new data log.

I have fitted some nice corks into the open ends where the PWM hoses were.

Loving it, ha ha. :hysterical:

Shouldnt laugh really, im thinking of a megasquirt installation myself. The more i read, the more i ger confused. This just tickled me. Hats off to all on here, you must know your onions.