Night heater

Frax

What type do you have and is there an easy less expensive way of getting one as they cost a lot more than I would like to spend. Is there any usable ones fitted to other cars that might be laying about in a scrap yard.

I have been told that they are fitted to quite a lot of cars as standard items.

Do you have a car with a stander fitment and if so what car is it.

Hope you don't mind me asking but I would know what to look at the next time I am in a scrap yard.

I would like to put on in my Defender so it would need to be a 12v version.

Regards

Frax

Google 'Webasto or Eberspacher' - they can easily be fitted to a Defender and either can be picked up for around £60 if you keep your eyes peeled.

I have a Webasto - look for a heater that has been added to a vehicle rather than a factory fit item. You are much more likely to get wiring looms and controllers this way which makes it a discreet system you can plumb in - give it a fuel supply, 12v and your off!

Dave.

Guest wunntenn

I've seen VW Transporter vans (the ones with multiple seats not panel vans) with them fitted as standard - no controls or other sign of fitment other than the exhaust pipe poking into the wheel arch. They come on as an add-heat and preheat function then switch off. I recall reading somewhere (someone might confirm or dispel this please) that certain Freelander models had them fitted as standard but not working and could be 'retro-activated' by paying a large wodge of cash to the dealer for the control box being plugged in. You can try yacht supplies and chandlers as they fit them on boats so could some about in the marina world.

Guest wunntenn

ps mine's an Eberspacher D4W - very efficient. I fitted it about 12 years ago and its been well used. Easily self-serviceable - I've changed glowplugs, fuel pump, silencer, exhaust pipe etc and the ECU. Last one is not normally a consumable item but I trashed the multistrand cabe leading into it by letting it touch the exhuast downpipe and fused the innards. (effing expensive mistake).

Webasto seam to be a bit more reasonably priced and also look like they are fitted to more cars. A lot of them are listed a diesel heaters which I suppose don't heat the cab but the diesel so would be OK if I wanted it to run on cooking oil but wont heat me sadly. Will keep looking.

A lot of them are listed as diesel heaters which I suppose don't heat the cab but the diesel so would be OK if I wanted it to run on cooking oil but wont heat me sadly. Will keep looking.

errrrrr :blink:

is called a diesel heater because it runs off diesel and heats the cab. i dont know if they will run of cooking oil but you can have a small (1 gallon?) fuel tank made up for it if you decide to run the 90 on oil. :)

Did I get it wrong, I know that quite a lot of the new diesels have diesel pre-heaters to warm up the diesel before it goes into the engine which in turn gives a better burn and better fuel economy, Also a good idea if running cooking oil. Do not know who makes these type of heaters but just presumed that it might be the same sort off manufacturer.

Guest wunntenn

The eberspacher can be plumbed in in several ways. It can be as an add-heat so it helps warm up cool-running engines in cold climates, OR as a interior heater/pre-heater. It can be plumbed to heat a water tank and/or heat the cab.

You connect it into the cooling system, pick up a fuel feed, and electrical connection (split charge and extra battery is a good idea) and it heats up the coolant to a decent temp and runs for an hour then shuts down. This warms up the engine block, thins the oil etc and makes for easy starts, less engine wear, less strain on battery etc.

As a bonus it can also in its standard configuration be wired into the vehicle heater switch so that when the coolant hits a certain temp it turns on the fan (preset on low) and blows warm air into the cab, defrosting windows, thawing doors etc. The standard controller is an off/on with 24 hour preset so you can leave it overnight and it will do its thing on its own so you go out in the morning and have a warmed up engine and interior. Uses .25L an hour or thereabouts. I used to set it when I went skiing and witnessed several delightful moments when other skiiers had stood thir skis against my vehicle as they put them on their car roof parked beside my 110 and then the heater fired up with a POOF! sending a perfect smoke ring up from under the vehicle and winding itself up to full power sounding for all the world like a harrier jump jet taking off. Cue several terror stricken onlookers!

Useful bit of kit.

I got my Webasto Thermotop Z from an early diesel Freelander. I haven't fitted it yet mind you.

I'm pretty sure the diesel Rover 75s had them aswell, a small metal tube poking out from just behind the front bumper.

I bought an Eberspacher D2 yesterday from ebay to act as a hot air heater aswell. Very good pieces of kit.

Dave!

Have a look in our own tech secton for Gromits eberspacher install. Its exactly what i have done too. His (and mine) is a D1LC and is just an air heater, it doesnt heat the coolant.

Think of them as a 'diesel burning heater' - they either heat the coolant thus allowing you to use the fan to heat the car OR, they heat air in the cab like a fan heater.

Agree with the noise of the Eberspacher - mine when on full reheat sounds like a quiet jet engine - awesome bit of kit that came with the car when I bought it.

Never used it for four years as I thought that it was faulty - they should be run every month according to the handbook.

Low and behold instructions obtained and whoosh off it works like the day it left the West German factory.

Because it was fitted I have since fitted a bespoke veg oil conversion kit and it warms the preheaters and brings the cab up to tempreture - you do need the batteries to be in good order for all this to work properly which leads me to my next project.......

I have bought a 50w solar panel plus controller for the split batteries and display unit.

Going to fit in the new year.

I'm not sure there is a "cheap" way out with this stuff, i had a pretty good exploration of it all, and ended up putting my own Webasto Thermotop C together from a 2nd hand unit and other new parts, mostly got from fleebay. it did brake up the cost but total spend was around ~300 squid in the end I think. considerably cheaper than a new unit.

The Thermotop burners are pretty bomb proof as there is nothing to it, they don't even have fuel jets etc. I've got 1 burner in my truck and another spare one, got a couple of gasket sets for them and cleaned/serviced them. I think I picked them up for about 70 squid each, ex Rover 75 ones. if you want cabin heat then go Airtop, unless you have good batteries etc. I think the only way to get good heat into a defender is to bypass the original heat exchanger all together as its pants.

Well will have to keep an eye out and see what I can find, bad time of year to be looking I suppose but my Defender is almost ready for the road again and winter is just about here.

Thank you for all your help.

Regards

Frax