Using a BTR4717 (Denso) aircon compressor for on-board air?

elbekko

All the write-ups seem to talk about using a York or Sanden compressor for on-board air. Now, from what I can find, my 300TDi came with a Denso compressor, which I can't really find much about.

Microcat tells me my RRC 300TDi uses a BTR4717.

I think this is the one:

http://compressor-express.co.uk/ac-compressor/land-rover/Land-Rover-07-10PA17C-PV4

Can this be used for on-board air? I'd love to have it, but if it can't be done, I think I'll just reconnect the aircon and have it refilled.

I thought I'd be able to find a datasheet on the Denso site, but entering the part number there gives me right around F all result.

I'm using a Denso compressor on my serpentine V8, which AFAIK is the same as you have.

So far (at least 3 years) it has been fine pumping a receiver upto 100 PSI with no signs of complaint. Usage is occassional tyre pumping, a blow line when out and about, oh and my air horns :D

When I first connected it I gave it a squirt of oil inside, but nothing since.

Well, I took a look at it earlier, and there may be some flaws in my plan.

As the belt has been off for over a year (couldn't find a pulley when putting it back together and just said sod it), all the pulleys now make a horrendous noise, especially the aircon one, so I decided to not fit the belt after all or I'd probably go insane after about 5 minutes of driving it.

I'm using a Denso compressor on my serpentine V8, which AFAIK is the same as you have.

So far (at least 3 years) it has been fine pumping a receiver upto 100 PSI with no signs of complaint. Usage is occassional tyre pumping, a blow line when out and about, oh and my air horns :D

When I first connected it I gave it a squirt of oil inside, but nothing since.

Mickey,

Any chance of a picture of your set up please?

(just under the bonnet)

Cheers,

Mick.

Cheers Mickey,

Sorry to be a pain but is there any chance of a wider angle pic?

Compressor appears to be mounted on the alternator bracket but I can't tell for sure.

(My lump doesn't have a compressor so I don't know how they are mounted)

That's the standard position for the compressor on serpentine V8s. This one was from a 1995 Disco, but I'd imagine it was the same in the Range Rovers of that year. Hopefully this makes it a little clearer.

post-7124-0-56113900-1327687676_thumb.jpg

What air horns have you got fitted in the top of that pic of your compressor?

Ah :i-m_so_happy:

I picked those gems up at Newbury a few years back. They're dual tone 12" and 14" long approx. The chap I got them from used to have them fitted to his 8-wheeler. I can't remember the make, but IIRC they're American and FFF loud - I stuck the garage airline in them when I got home just to try them out. My ears were ringing for a few minutes afterwards :lol:

They also made the MOT man jump a wee bit :hysterical:

These were my initial reason for an on-board air system. I don't think any diddy electric air horn compressor would have done them justice.

For your pleasure...

post-7124-0-44655400-1327700221_thumb.jpg

Oh and the reason for the horns??? It seems even Landrovers aren't quite big enough for muppets to see before they pull out in front of me, or decide to cut me up on a motorway. A quick blast of these soon wakes them up as they expect to find a 40 footer bearing down on them.

Edited by mickeyw

I shall have to keep my eyes peeled for a set of them, the standard horn is a little on the pathetic side! Once I find a set I'll need to work out if I can squeeze an aircon compressor in next to the ZF74.....

Did the MOT man have to go and change his underwear? :)

So anyway, getting back to the Elbekko's question, yes the Denso seems to work OK. I can't compare with the Sanden type as I haven't been in a position to try one.

If your pump is seized don't despair, so was mine. It got a gob full of muddy water before I had the hoses connected, and then sat unused for a while. A good drink of WD40 and some working it back and forward soon had it freed off.

BTW: my air intake pipe sits behind the brake pedal box, so relativley sheltered from engine bat water. I have a small K&N on the end to keep out the worst of the dirt.

Random idea, would connecting the inlet to the compressor to the inlet manifold on the 300 tdi be a bad idea? I can see the positives, i.e no need for an extra filter and bound to be some oil in the air from the turbo (they all leak a little don't they?).

But would it affect performance? I assume it would as it would be akin to an air leak, or would the turbo make up for it as the wastegate would open later?

Probably a stupid idea

• 2 months later...

I'm thinking about modifying an old winch to run either a compressor or air con pump to supply air for pumping tyres up etc. My question is what stops them from building up dangerous pressures?

Do they have pressure release valves like domestic compressors or a clutch to stop drive when max pressure is reached etc?

Cheers,

Rich

A pressure switch does the turning on and off of the pump to keep the amount of pressure you want in the tank,in the case of a/c compressors the switch is activating the electronic clutch. To stop things exploding should the swich fail you need a pressure relief valve that will go off and release pressure if it gets too high.

Both parts can be the exact same ones as used on 'normal' compressors

Pressure switch, PRV etc would normally be built into a 'system'. The compressor alone does not feature these.

My compressor switches off at about 110PSI and back on again at about 80. The hysteresis will vary and may be adjustable depending on the type of switch you use. My PRV is also adjustable and is set to blow at about 120PSI.

All items you will need can be found on the bay ;)

As CW says, mains powered compressor parts are perfectly suitable.

Both parts can be the exact same ones as used on 'normal' compressors

You can also buy the whole as "spare" and bolt on/plumb in to make your own setup.

Thanks for the replies.

I assumed they would have some sort of safety device but wanted to know before I start gathering the parts.

If you were using an aircon pump which would you reccomend/have you already used? Will any do or do some work at too low a pressure to be of use?

Rich