£10 Cab Heating Experiment

simonr

Another slant on this would be a small helical element in the header tank (like a small kettle element); but that would also need a small circulating pump and some sort of thermostat, again it would need a 230volt supply and needless to say a 30ma rcd protection to protect everything.

But on the plus side it would heat the water so engine temp would be warm and hence speed up the heater matrix temp.

As I mentioned in my reply above this is common practice in colder countries like Sweden where I live.

You buy car specific kits complete with an in-car socket for a heater fan. No pump needed. Works great. If its -15, as we have now, the car wont be warm but it'll start a lot easier. A Defender will actually be colder when you have gone for a while unless you have a radiator curtain (I use cardboard).

The kits are not free. Don't know how much though.

I know Defa has a kit for Td5 as that's what my Defender is equipped with. I guess Calix has one as well.

You can buy the Defa one from eBay Germany, all in with the timer, battery charger, fan heater and core plug/block heater it's £260 including postage, the chap is happy to deal with the UK.

But you can pick up the electrical kits for a lot cheaper

I was going to go for it before got an eberspacher with the heater input, but didn't pay £600!! but it's no £10 heater.

Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

I tried a old 240v blower heater I had lying around after reading this post - it worked a treat. I sat in the kitchen watching the ice melt from the inside out!

Great I thought, until I got in the car and found that internal condensation was unlike anything I've ever seen before in a car - I've got streaks down all my windows and droplets hanging off the rear window!

It is a family saloon though - mabye (definiately) more air tight than a defender :)

I may be too late for another experiment unless it gets cold again but I'll try a different angle / lower setting next time, I think it was pointing pretty much straight at the windscreen.

Stu.

I think you'd be surprised at the amount of moisture a saloon type car can hold in all the seats and other fabric, especially in the damp winter months. I had a friend who used to put a dehumidifier in his car occaisonally in the winter and reckoned it would pull a few litres out when left over night.

Stu, you could always try with the window open just a tad for that authentic drafty defender feel, it may help, or maybe make things worse.......