Steering box started leaking, best place to get reconditioned?

willfromsussex

Steering is heavy in the middle position then goes lighter once you get a bit of a turn going. This is unpleasant. It also won't self centre when you let the caster do its job . The wheel is stiff and stays where you put it, which makes precise adjustments to straight line driving a real chore.

Sounds like it is your uni-joints and not your steering box. Take the shaft out and make sure the uni's move freely in both directions.

the unis are ok, nearly new, are fine on the rest of the turn, and were fine on the old box, and also I have a rubber doughnut inline (from late model) to prevent any problems from pressure pushing on the UJs.

FYI the rated pressure for the Patrol pump (according to the workshop manual) is 1250-1340psi at idle. The rated force to turn steering wheel when straight ahead on Patrol is 2-4KG at circumference.

Are rangie boxes variable ratio or same ratio throughout turning range? Patrol ones are variable.

I replaced the seal on the input shaft on my 1988 RRC with one from Zeus Engineering. This is a machined part with o-rings inside and out to provide the seal. These bear on a different place on the shaft and so avoid this problem. It was about £23 incl VAT & P&P but easy to fit and has done a great job of fixing my leak - it's 100% dry now and hads been for months. here is the page http://www.zeus.uk.com/land-rover.php

Pete

That's really good info to know, one I shall remember for sure :i-m_so_happy:

I have tried losening the sector shaft endfloat adjuster a little but this just made it have play but still stiff to turn.

Have you made sure that the steering box is centred properly (as in equal number of turns to right and left lock).

Did you adjust the backlash with it in the centre position. They are designed to have slop when not driving straight ahead. The more left or right the worse it gets. If the backlash is set off centre, it will bind in the centre position.

The main thing that wears in the boxes is the worm drive. It off course will wear most where it gets the most use (near the straight ahead position). They are worth a bit to buy and therefore people "reconditioning" the boxes tend not to replace them. But a worn one will generally cause binding either side of centre, not at the centre.

If the backlash is excessive in turning the wheel in one direction and tighter in the other, the worm drive bearings are shot.

Hi yes I am used to steering boxes on the other cars I work on (old stuff) recirculating ball boxes. I checked the thing is central. Its like they've shimmed it up too hard. Its so unpleasant to drive this vehicle now :( I presume apart from the top screw and locknut (sector shaft endfloat) and the other slotted ring adjustment on the front of the steering box (far end of input shaft) are the only two adjustments possible in situ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Having serious greif getting Power Steering Services http://www.power-steering.co.uk/ to refund my faulty box. They're telling me they've tested it and it seems fine. Now they have my money, and my steering box, not to mention the old one I gave them to start with. The manager was rude and unhelpful on the phone and is basically accusing me of lying about the box. I even told them the paint was coming off in my hands because they had not cleaned the box properly before painting it, and he said I was making it up. that is NOT how to deal with customers and win business.

Does it not occur to these people, why would I fit their box, take it off, say its faulty, and go and buy one for twice the money and put that on instead. I even emailed them the receipt at their request. Grr. I know , having a rant but hey. Might stop someone else having the same problem.

Oh I forgot, they brought a discovery box the first time , then tried to tell me I had ordered this, rather than they had made a mistake. I've never even owned a discovery! Absolutely shocking.

PSS are 'sending the box to somewhere else to get tested' I think we can imagine what they will come back with , watch this space.

I tried some of ths stuff thought it was worth a punt the leak was quite bad but thought for the sake of a tenner it was worth a try:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1c1d3905fe

and I am glad to report it worked a treat been about 4 months and not a sign of a leak when i first put it in it still leaked for about 3-4 days then stopped. worked on mine might work on yours?!

sorry just realised I am a bit late oh well here is some info for others :blush:

:

• 1 month later...

Mine has started to leak from bottom so summarising this thread:

• Don't bother with a seal kit
  • Don't bother with a certain company named in the thread
  • Perhaps try some seal leak to begin with but if that doesn't work then
  • Go straight to Adwest in Reading and buy a brand new one

Sound about right?

Rob

Pretty much right, I had heard recommendations for the zeus steering box seals as they seal on a different part of the shaft so don't get damaged by the worn part .... but I have no experience of them myself, I fitted a new Adwest box..

http://www.zeus.uk.com/land-rover.php

Did you buy the box direct from Adwest? I always rather deal direct !

Did you buy the box direct from Adwest? I always rather deal direct !

I didn't, it came as some MOD surplus stores sell off. But Will who started the thread as well as many others have bought direct from Adwest and it is cheaper than any of the normal parts places.

• 4 weeks later...

A bit late in adding my bit but would just say that Adwest looked after me and the new box seemed a bargain when you think what peace of mind is worth.... :i-m_so_happy:

Good to know. Will order one soon but bit skint after just ordered a new Freelander 2 :offtopic: