Low Performance on TD4 Especially Uphill

zimaria

I own a Freelander 1 Freestyle 2006 TD4 Manual 2 litre which I bought new and used in the UK for the first 3 years before shipping it to the Caribbean. Whilse in the UK I encountered no problems, however since reaching the Caribbean I have experienced:

1) Low performance;

2) Hard starts;

3) Glow plugs never comes on when starting;

4) Recently on 3 occasions when starting it refused to fire although turning over okay.

The diesel in the Caribbean is of lower quality than that of the UK.

Going uphill is possible only in 2nd or 1st gear and may not be possible if fully loaded with passengers.

Once it reaches the 25mph threshold where the turbo kicks in it goes uphill okay, but in most cases it never reaches the turbo threshold.

The problem continues even after servicing the vehicle by changing the oil, filters and cleaning the fuel system including the separator and manifold.

Recently I changed the fuel injectors with second hand ones (as new ones are exorbitantly expensive) but that made no difference.

I have noticed that when in 2nd gear the vehicle takes quite a while to build up speed.

No lights are being displayed on the dashboard and the glow plugs are fine.

Althought the vehicle is 6 years old now it has only done 45,000 miles.

Please can someone help by letting me know:

1) What the problem(s) may be;

2) Whether the turbo threshold can be reduced to kicked in earlier;

3) What action needs to be taken to resolve those problems.

4) Is it possible that whilse shipping the vehicle to the Caribbean a movement of some sort caused damage to some parts.

You may actually need a new fuel map to support running on the local diesel, if the cetane rating is really quite low compared to UK diesel. Other things to check are the function of your Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF), and the condition of your crankcase filter (PCV) and your EGR valve.

Ray.

I doubt you would need to remap it just to make it go up a hill. Even on very bad fuel it should manage that. Worth checking for water in the fuel filter(s) & changing the filter if it hasn't been done recently.

I would check the turbo hoses for splits, check the vacuum pipe to the turbo actuator valve for holes, check the turbo actuator rod is moving (difficult to see & you need the engine running), I would check the in-tank and under-bonnet fuel pumps are running OK, they are known to fail, my under-bonnet one seized up but would work again if you tapped it with something. Also check the EGR valve if it has one, mine was stuck open, I blanked the pipe with a coin.

Many thanks for your help, @FridgeFreezer & kiwi_110.

I have also spoken to a LR expert who has informed me that the Fuel Tank Pump and the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor are the first possible suspects.

He has asked that I use a diagonostics computer to measure the fuel pressure and should it be less than 60,000 KPA then, the pump needs changing.

I have also read somewhere that a known fault is the corrusion of the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor connector which may need replacement / cleaning.

Gosh, didn't realise there could be so may components attributing to the problem.

After discussions with the LR expert and taking into account all the possible clues you have provided, I have decided to carry out my diagnosis in the following order:

Check and repair / replace:

1) Fuel tank pump;

2) Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor 7 & conenctor;

3) PVC;

4) EGR Valve;

5) Intercoolant hoses;

6) MAF & sensor;

7) Under-bonnet fuel pump;

8) Turbo horses, turbor vacuum pipe, turbor actuator valves.

It's a rather long list but I am happy and confident somewhere in there lays a solution.

I am hoping (1) & (2) are the protagonists and therefore will not have to go through the entire list.

On the advice of the LR expert I will now include checks of the PVC and EGR valve when servicing the vehicle.

I am currently in the UK but will use your valuble advice as soon as I return to the Caribbean and will provide feedback.

Thanks guys for taking the time to share you knowledge.

Cannot wait now to let you know th outcome.

Cheers.

I would change the order of that list, start with things which cost nothing (check/clean connectors, unplug MAF, measure things), then cheap things (change sensor, change a hose if requried) before going for the really expensive things like fuel pumps. As I udnerstand it the in-tank pump is NOT the high-pressure one, it is only a lift pump.

If you haven't already seen them, look for the official RAVE manuals pinned at the top of the part numbers forum, they will explain the system operation.

Re-reading your post I find it strange you say the turbo "kicks in" at 25mph, the TD4 has a VNT which is pretty much always making boost (or should be), so I'd have a look at the turbo actuator rod & valve & vacuum piping as if this is stuck in one position it would give a drop-off in power either side of where it's stuck.

@nickcc ... I agree that if the temperature is warm enough then the glow plugs will not come on, as in my case.

I have added it in so as to facilitate in the diagnostics.

@FridgeFreezer ... many thanks for re-prioritising the fault finding approach.

The initial order was based on starting with the components which are the most likely culprits.

However, I take onboard your suggestion as it may save me some money.

Yes, it is my understanding that the in-tank pump (more external and in-tank) is the low pressure pump.

I have looked at the top of the Request for Part Numbers forum and selected the "Links to Parts books, Microcat, RAVE," link but quite frankly cannot identify the manual relevant to the Freelander. Any help?

I am not mechanically minded and would appreciate you advice on whether the turbo should be kicking in earlier than at 25mph since you said that the TD4 has a VNT which should always making boost.

Thanks.

Not sure about the 2006 TD4 but the part numbers I'm about to give you are good to the VIN #'s quoted...

When if you have the bonnet up and your head in the engine bay, when someone turns the key to "On" (not start) you should clearly hear the remote fuel pump on the passenger side wheel arch. It will go off after a few seconds when it's intended pressure is reached. This pump is attached to a pod containing the diesel filter. This pump's part number is WQB100480L (To (V)2A218129). It's a common pump, BMW and some other euro cars use this and it can be found cheaper sourced from those agents.

The In-tank pump is a lift pump and it really just slowly circulates diesel between the tank and the fuel pump mentioned above. It sort of purges the line and keeps air out so the second pump gets a good supply. The vehicle may run with a dead lift pump because the remote pump will draw fuel providing there's plenty of fuel in the tank and no filter blockage or air lock. The lift pump is part number WFX500070 (From (V)1A400000 to 2A399999) or WQB000020 (From (V)2A209916 on) and the price is likely to hurt...

The Fuel Rail Pressure Regulator is screwed into the passenger side end of the fuel rail. It is part number LR009732.

The MAF sensor is located on the drivers side, top rear of the engine at the end of the air filter housing. The Air Filter attaches to it. It's Part Number is MHK101130L.

Ray

Thanks for the info, although google indicated VIN and chassis numbers are different things.

I note that the VIN numbers provided above are 8 characters long (not 17).

Are these that last 8 characters of the chassis number?

usual format for parts ident use is the last 2 letters & the 6 numbers which are the chassis production number, making 8 digits

have a look in the 'request for part number' forum, there are links to RAVE manuals which are the workshop manuals in PDF format.

you can find VIN info here http://landroveroneten.com/cgi-bin/vin_checker.cgi/

Many thanks for your generous help.

Slowly but surely I am getting the information I need.

I have now used the link to decode my VIN.

Regarding the PDF Land Rover Manuals they seem to cover various models, e.g. Series 3, Defender, Range Rover, but not Freelander 1.

Can you let me know which set relates to the Freelander 1.

Whilse googling the part numbers I came across 2 diagrams namely, one for the TD4 Fuel Delivery System and the other showing the location of the various components. I have posted the diagrams should they be of help to anyone.

The Fuel Delivery System diagram illustrates that a fuel filter exist under the bonnet.

Questions:

1) Considering that another fuel filter exists under the rear arch (next to the lift pump), does that mean that the vehicle has 2 fuel filters?

2) Where can I find other diagrams like these to assist in future diagnostics?

14249d1267793525-td4-under-bonnet-fuel-pump-noise-scan-100305-0002.jpg

14250d1267793525-td4-under-bonnet-fuel-pump-noise-scan-100305-0003.jpg

Regarding the PDF Land Rover Manuals they seem to cover various models, e.g. Series 3, Defender, Range Rover, but not Freelander 1.

Can you let me know which set relates to the Freelander 1.

The RAVE manual should have this link for the later Freelanders I think:

post-21-0-84261200-1333323397_thumb.jpg

That section covers vehicles from the first of the TD4's onwards, I don't know how late it goes for any given copy of RAVE.

Nickcc, although the vehicle is nowhere near me at the moment I remember when changing the fuel filter (which is located under the OSR rear wheel) seeing the LP lift pump as well as the sediment filter (separator) all connected to each other in the same compartment.

Kiwi_110, my freelander is a 2006 model and I am very sure that there is a fuel filter (long silver tube like) as well as a sediment filter under the rear wheel arch.

However, I do not remember there being a secondary LP pump nor a second fuel filter under the bonnet. Like Nickcc, I tend to think that the diagram provided is for an earlier model but not the facelift.

By the way I did find the exact TD4 Fuel System Diagram in the RAVE manual but the index (see below) was slightly different from the one you provided.

Is it correct to say that there is only one LP pump and one fuel filter, both located under the rear wheel arch?

I note that the index says Freelander 01MY. Does that mean that the RAVE manual is for models upto 2001?

Sorry guys, I am not doubting you but just trying to clarify things to aid with my diagnostics. I have never attempted to understand how a vehicle works before but now I am forced to as the mechanics out there (in the Caribbean) do not seem to have the answers.

Thanks FridgeFreezer.

As I think there was a change between 2001 and 2006 I suspect the current CD2 RAVE manuals do not apply to the TD4 2006.

Kiwi_110, I am beginning to think that the part numbers you provided above for the lift pumps are not applicable to the TD4 2006 model.

I have looked at both WQB000020 and WFX500070 in Google Images and they appear to be in-tank pumps (one filtered and the other filterless).

Both are primary LP pumps which seem to work in conjunction with the secondary LP pump part number WQB100480L and seem to apply to pre-2006 models.

Bearing in mind that the TD4 2006 LP pump is located under the rear wheel arch and has no secondary LP pump (under-bonnet) does any know what the correct part number is?

It depends if your freelander looks like this:

post-21-0-09942100-1333400774_thumb.jpg

Or this:

post-21-0-46032600-1333400781_thumb.jpg

The first one is a late Freelander 1 (up to 2006), the 2nd one is a Freelander 2 (2006 onwards) which is a totally different engine etc., it's the 2.2 litre Volvo engine even though it's still called the TD4 it's nothing to do with the old 2.0 BMW M47 lump.