1.8ES 3 Amigos

gary1968

Well, I have had a little over a years trouble free motoring with my little hippo...... now she has a wee problem. The 3 yellow warning lights have come on, TC, ABS & HDC....

Any good way to be testing parts, without actually replacing.... (dont have a lot of spare cash to be throwing at it replacing parts willy nilly, lol)

Any / every suggestion welcome to help fix this problem.... inc. a good LR shop in central Scotland that will be able to read the ECU to help shed some light on it.

Cheers,

Gaz

There are some tests you can do yourself.

Fold back the gearstick gaitor and check the two wires going to the HDC switch on the lever. These can and do come adrift from the switch or in some cases ( like mine ) can break due to the movement of the lever.

Brake light switch failure can also cause it as said BUT check your brake switch first. Depending on the year of the car it will be a two or a three wire switch . If it is the former then it is not connected to the system and that avenue can be ignored . Only the three wire switch is relevent to this fault.

ABS sensors . These can be unplugged each in turn and using a good quality digital multimeter check the sensor ohmic value. These should be circa 980 ohms . The plugs are on the inner wing either side of the engine ( one may require you to unbolt and slide the battery out of the way ) and the other two are on the floor just inside and above the rear plastic wheel liner forward of the wheel CL . These plugs can have either male or female pins again depending on the year.

Have a look at the reluctor rings which are just visable at the bottom of each driveshaft through a viewing port. These should be clean and securly attached to the driveshaft. . If neccessary give them a clean and blow out with compressed air as you turn the wheel when jacked up.

If the problem still persists I'd have the system interrogated for fault codes. I had this problem off and on for many months and ignored the code read out stating blocked and seized shuttle valves in the ABS pump. Guess what it was .....?

A replacement Wabco ABS pump solved it. My problem was down to the brake fluid not being changed as prescribed , my fault entirely , and as it hydroscopic it had slowly absorbed moisture and contaminated the miniture shuttle valves inside the pump.

A lesson learned.

Good luck with the problem it can be a little bugger to solve .

My problem was down to the brake fluid not being changed as prescribed , my fault entirely , and as it hydroscopic it had slowly absorbed moisture and contaminated the miniture shuttle valves inside the pump.

I'd never made that connection about changing brake fluid but it's a very good point!

Well, I have a brake light switch waiting at the posty to be collected, will get that tomorow and try it. It is not the HDC swich as I have changed that for a known good one, I assume the HDC wires are OK as I am getting 12V there......

Some good info up there from WDWM, thanks for that mate. If the BL switch doesn't fix it I will try some of you suggestions. I hope its not the ABS pump as thats a pricey little blighter...... to buy and no doubt to fit, I dont have the time to be fitting that and having to bleed all the brakes.

Keep you posted guys.

Gaz

Well its not the BL switch either, :-(....... Will check the resistance of the ABS sensors when I get a chance. I suppose this will be an MOT failure so I have until November to get it sorted, lol.

I can see the car going into Gemm 4x4 to be checked out though.

Cheers for the help folks.

Gaz

Mine was a dead ABS brain, complete unit (pump, block, brain) cost me ~£100 delivered from a freelander spares lot on eBay so not the end of the world. I've got the pump & block in the shed if you need, but they changed round a lot around 2000-2002 it seems and mine is not one of the common ones.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply been a bit busy dso only just got round to working on the Hippo again, and thanks for the offer FF.....

Anyway, it asn't the brake light switch. So, a friend of a friend has a computer to read the ecu. His diagnosis was the front nearside abs sensor 'no reading'.

Back onto e-bay and bought said sensor, fitted it tonight and after driving for 50yds or so the lights went out.... abs working, hdc working so am a happy man..... grin.gif

The old one was a complete bar steward to get out, 2 hours later it was out, 15mins later and the new one fitted.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

Gaz