A frame crossmember

does anybody know of anywhere that sells replacement A frame crossmembers? i know you can buy just about any chassis replacement part but ive been searching for the last hour or so and cant find any A frame crossmembers anywhere

ive done quite a bit of damage to mine mainly my own fault i think due to not cleaning down properly after offroading and rot setting in but to be fair the rest of the chassis is solid condition even though it is a 93k,i was going to patch it up but after closer inspection today i think the best way to do a proper job of it will be to weld a complete new section in,any help or advise greatly appreciated

002pck.jpg001aadt.jpg

I,d be making one from some hd box or angle or plate especially as your cage goes to it, you want more spread area than you have currently IMHO. You can make it without the rust traps too.

Will.

the pictures are a big help thanks,i think fabricateing/strenghtening is the best option as i can get as much plate as i need of a mate and like has been said i can get rid of the mudtraps in the process,it would be a shame to scrap the chassis yet as the rest of it is solid it just looks like ive not cleaned this area good enough after going off road but as you all know its an hard area to get to

when i mounted the cage i did just bodge it on the crossmember as i allways planned on makeing proper cage mounts when i traybacked it but its took longer than i thought to get round to it so maybe that could have played a part in the damage too

thanks for the advise and i'll take a few pics along the way to share with you all

My only regret is that I didn't fix the mud traps on the front of the 'A' frame crossmember, but this is someone elses problem now, not mine. I would imagine that the repair will out-live the truck anyway.

Once I repaired the chassis (and there was a lot more welding done elsewhere) I treated the rust with Kurust (hammerite rust treatment) and soaked it in waxoyl too.

Belt and braces...

yrm was one of the places i was going to try before i decided to have a go myself,you would think it would be an "on the shelf" replacement with how common these crossmembers are for rotting,would definatly be worth giving him a call

im definatly going to make sure theres no mud traps when i weld mine up,and if i stick with a rear tub rather than trayback im going to leave a couple of 2" access holes in the tub floor to point the lance in there

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry ive only just seen the above post,yes ive managed to get it sorted,i cut out all the bad then welded some 3mm plate along the top and sides of the chassis rails,then boxed the crossmember up,since the pics ive also added some 45 deg strengthening as in the pics above and boxed it to do away with the mud traps,all ive got left to do is remount the cage which my mate has cut me at work some 5mm plate into 2x 150mm square and 4x 100mm square,the 2 150's will be welded to the top of crossmember as spreaders,then a stubby length of 5mm wall 2" box and then the 100mm plates used as sandwich plates to bolt the cage,thanks for the help and advice fella's

heres the pics,you'll notice some of the welds arent the best,2 main problems i had was access with grinder to prep properly ,and the bloody wind as i was welding outside on a breezy day (thats my excuse and im sticking to it :rolleyes: )

picture070jl.jpgpicture072t.jpgpicture071q.jpg