Our project

mmgemini

• 1 month later...

Very slow just now. Nothing was done the week after the show. We both took a rest.

Then it was cold and damp. Plenty rain as well.

I've made the door frames for the locker doors at the back. I'm going to try and consecrate on the small time consuming bits while it's cold and damp.

I'd like a nice warm day to glue and rivit the bed frame to the floor but I can do other things I think.

• 2 weeks later...

I had hoped to be able to shew you the pics of the nearly finished locker doors.

Well the story is my Evolution saw for some reason will not saw. It jams to a halt. It could be the blade is now blunt. I have cut a lot of alli sheet with it but I'd have expected the blade to have lasted longer.

I'll go and get a new blade today.

Have you got aluminium build up on the blade tips? It can sort of weld itself to the tips which would stop it cutting, bit of tallow or wax can help to stop this.

Well I can't see any. I tend to rub a candle on the tips of the blade before I start to use the saw.

I spoke to B&Q today as that's where I got the saw from. Like me they think blunt blade. I've been reading a couple of blade reviews. A few saw the blades don't last long.

Evolution have a technical phone number. Also a mobile engineer. I'll ring them Monday and see what they say.

I'm wondering if the "professional" blade would last longer than the DIY one. There's only ten quid difference in price.

My dad worked for a firm a few years back that made a whole load (hundreds) of welded aluminium windows for a big office block up London, the extrusions were 10" wide. They used a standard DeWalt sliding mitre saw (dw723) and fitted an aluminium cutting blade, the same blade lasted the whole job (3 months of cutting) and is still workin fine today without having been sharpened, tallow was used to lubricate the blade.

If you have some tallow might be worth trying.

• 3 weeks later...

There is to be lockers each side of the trailer behind the wheels. I've been making those.Fiddly at times and time consuming

img05291.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

This is the frame the door fits into. The holes at the top are for screws to hold the frame to the bed base. Because I'm using square tube to square tube, I can't use pop rivits.

You can see the crush tube on the left for the hinges. Crush tubes are 8mm ID but the hing bolts are 6,, to allow for adjustment

img05301g.jpg

Another pic of the frame

img05351.jpg

Hinge brackets in place

img05381q.jpg

Door

img05411g.jpg

Door fitted.

Everything is a tempory fitting. Note the self tappers. These will be replaced with pop rivits when it gets warmer and I can use the sealant.

Thanks Steve. All made on the chop saw as posted earlier. It's easier to make them all the same size even if the doors are bigger/ smaller.

Oh yes Jason. I take it you just mean the locker doors LOL

Actually I have the other door to finish on the hinges....Then hopefully I can start on the main doors fitting the locks and bolts.

Oh yes Jason. I take it you just mean the locker doors LOL

No Mike,

I meant Christmas, however I was careful not to state which one!!

Keep up the good work, Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a big smile on my face today.

I went to buy some MDF. The place was shut so I guess I'll have to wait until after the holidays.

I've managed the center bits for three of the doors. One to take the bolt to keep it shut and the other for the Yale lock...Having done that I wanted the door frams in position so I could check where the hinges would go. As it was sunney but cold and windy we put the frames into position

THEY FIT as I wanted them too.

So I'm a bit stuck until I get some MDF.....

I have a big smile on my face today.

I went to buy some MDF. The place was shut so I guess I'll have to wait until after the holidays.

I've managed the center bits for three of the doors. One to take the bolt to keep it shut and the other for the Yale lock...Having done that I wanted the door frams in position so I could check where the hinges would go. As it was sunney but cold and windy we put the frames into position

THEY FIT as I wanted them too.

So I'm a bit stuck until I get some MDF.....

Mike have you considered using something other than MDF? as it doesn't like getting damp!

The MDF is only to make the fixture.

Once both the outside door frames are made and the other doors and things made the MDF will be used for lighting the fire...

It's cheaper than ply....

The original fixture I made the door frames for the doors and the locker doors on isn't wide enough to do the reat of the job....

:D

Great work by the way, looking good :)

Thanks. Things have stopped a bit because of the weather....

If you look at the pics of the locker doors above. You'll see why I'm using the MDF

That table fixture isn't wide enough or long enough to make the entrace doors. Hense the requirement for more MDF....

Thanks. Things have stopped a bit because of the weather....

If you look at the pics of the locker doors above. You'll see why I'm using the MDF

That table fixture isn't wide enough or long enough to make the entrace doors. Hense the requirement for more MDF....

Weather is most irritating when it stops play! Need a workshop.

Yes, I saw. Good idea, as you have a good flat surface to work on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Well I was asked on Sunday how things were going with the trailer. Slow I'm sorry to say. The cold and wet weather has slowed things right down.

img05491.jpg

Doors and door pillars partly made up. The doors seem to take a lot of time

img05521x.jpg

fridge dropped into fridge slide. The "kitchen" will be in front of the fridge, to the right in this picture

img05551.jpg

Fridge slide pulled out

img05531.jpg

I've managed to fit the left wheel box. Note the rear locker door. Discovery steel wheel

img05561.jpg

Spent yesterday cutting angle to make brackets, now just the holes, four in each bracket, to drill