Vapour Shed

Lifting hinges don't lift the farm gate 12"! Ideally I'd have concertina doors folding outwards - I have plenty of drive space (about 20' wide by 30' or so long), and while it is shallow enough to use engine cranes, axle stands and so on, it's too steep for outward opening doors unless they could deform like the side barriers on cattle or sheep trucks, but having so many sliding slats would be a maintenance nightmare. And I doubt it'd be feasible for two 7x8' doors. Building a stud wall in front of the door retraction area uses up a little more space, but since I already put up a stud wall between the two separate doors I want to replace with one, I already have the materials.

The track for the sideways rolling doors can be shimmed at regular intervals to take up moderate unevenness, and would be fine for my floor at the doorways. I cant have an upward rolling door because the eves wouldn't be big enough and I don't want a dormer effect box along the front.

Have two side hinged doors with bottoms high enough to clear the drive with horizontaly hinged bottom parts that will fold upwards and inwards. Or a flap the folds flat to the floor. All easy to do with steel doors. I see lots of ingenious farm shed doors on my travels!

• 4 weeks later...
This probably belongs in the "how do you keep yourself motivated?" thread...
The new garage has finally seen a Land Rover - Sam's 110 just fitted with a few inches to spare at either end. Not entirely convenient (you could squeeze past, but you had to either walk along the front bumper or step over the tow hitch while shuffling sideways - or just climb over the load bed - there are advantages to a truck cab!), but a sight better than being out in the dark and rain! I reckon a P38 is the longest Land Rover you could practically have in there.

Sam's defender

I'm not surprised Sam was complaining about scary handling...

Failing suspension bush

This radius arm bolt was a bit banana shaped and had to be cut - heat from the angle grinder won't have done the bush any good, but it was basically this bad anyway. It wasn't the worst either - I wasn't around to take a photo when Sam did the panhard rod, but one of the bushes on that was basically not there any more :ph34r:

Failing suspension bush - with bent and seized bolt...

On the whole I'm pleased with the garage as a workshop - it's about as good as it could be in the space available. Once the storage is sorted out and there's less stuff just stacked on the floor (it's usually along the back wall - we had to shift it to the sides to get the 110 in) it'll be rather nice! :)