Driving a 300Tdi Without a Clutch Pushrod Clip

While changing a clutch slave cylinder, I stupidly pulled the pushrod and clip (Part No FTC2957) out of the clutch arm, could not get the clip back in, broke it and have no spare.

I have fitted the pushrod and new cylinder without the clip and need to drive the truck for a few days before I can get a new clip and fit it.

I am concerned that the pushrod might become dislodged and break things up inside the bellhousing. On the other hand the rod seems well squeezed in between the cylinder and clutch arm, so maybe the clip is only really needed if driving corrugated African tracks.

Has anyone done a few miles without this clip on UK roads, or should I not drive at all until I have fited a replacement ?

All help gratefully received as always.

Regards

Richard

Just to be on the safe side and to save yourself a world of bother-gearbox off etc to replace the pushrod etc if/when the pushrod etc comes off and causes you even more work, get a new clip and save yourself grief

John

I drove my 300 for 6 years without that clip doing challenges and long distance road miles and nothing happened! My current Td5 doesn't have a clip either now as it fell off when I changed the slave cylinder a couple of weeks back! I wouldn't worry personally

Theres a spring in the clutch and also one in the slave cylinder these two work against each other via the rod so it wont move.

Ive just broke the clip on mine and re-assembled my disco without it, It still works fine

If you can be bothered to replace the clip, put a blob of blutack on the end of a 12" extension bar and put the clip on the end. Push it home and give the bar a twist to remove the blutack and withdraw...