HELP 110 td5 alarm

hi all

i have a y2k defender 110 td5 csw

Im on the verge of torching my wagon if i cant fix this problem.

Basically i cant turn my lights on as touching the stalk activates my alarm!!

Iv had the problem a few times before but after 24 hour of parking it up it sorted itself.

FYI its the backup alarm that sounds, no horn going off,

also, when arming/disarming the system the led on the speedo seems to be subdued -not flashing as bright as normal?

iv spent hours on google and am now registered to many LR forums around the world but advice or a specific cure cant be found!

as far as i can tell from google, the alarm is wired into the lighting system (hence activation when i turn the switch on due to the volt drop).

A kinda helpful post on a forum indicated the same issue turned out to be a problem with his light relay -so i changed mine -no joy

Another post indicated earth path issues -spent 3 hours today locating, cleaning + putting electrical compound on mine -no joy.

Disassembled my light stalk, cleaned replaced -no joy.

checked all fuses, one blown; 20A; chassis/trailer socket? (in box under driver seat) -changed- no joy.

Took clocks off + located alarm ecu, checked connector, -no joy.

-on this last 1 i tripped the alarm -still no horn?- when checking the connectors, couldnt disarm with fob and in my frustration just pulled the alarm relay to silence it.

Left the relay out untill all reassembled but when i put the relay back in i think i must have tripped the immobiliser as i couldnt start the vehicle + fob wouldnt activate anything.

BTW, i dont have the EKA code + being sunday, my local dealer cant help till monday.

Disconnected battery for an hour and the fob now works, engine starts but not cured my light switch problem.

My absolute last result will be to get to a nanocom and just have the F***ing thing deactivated

-though i dont favour this as i bet my insurance company wont pay out if they found out.

At the moment iv washed my hands of it and wil just have to get back before dark!!

Please, any suggestions will be welcomed!!

Ok. It sounds like in your frustration you dropped the power to the AS10 alarm unit while the vehicle was immobilised. This causes the ecu to become immobilised, and can be a pain to sort out. You will need Nanocom or test book to sort this.

The alarm sounder only going off from memory is a selectable function within the alarm setup accessed once again from Nanocom et al.

Might help if you gave your location.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for the reply paul, im in plymouh btw.

i disconnected the battery for an hour and after reconnecting it sorted my immobiliser and fob issue

Oh forgot to say;

i checked and cleaned all door switches too -no joy.

checked for trapped/ chaffed wires =none -no joy.

Battery is toppers + almost new -wolf double battery system wired for 12v (not the army 24v) so no probs there.

its a cave man model too so no central locking/electric windows to worry about.

so im thinking just burn it?

i just read another post ref getting 2 beeps/honks when setting the alarm -as i always had-

so now i know my alarm was never setting propperly (worked and sounded off whenever i forgot to disarm it though?) and so i checked the bonnet switch

-the plunger felt broken inside but iv taped it down so is constantly depressed (lookin on ebay for another)

now have the 3 indicator flashes when i push the fob + no horn honks.

but alas my issue continues and still have no headlights!

today iv taken all the door / bonnet switches off, taped up and still have my fault!?

only noticable diferance was the led on the speedo was barely visable -could just make out a flashing?

on a lighter note i got my EKA code from my local main dealer thismorning so i can at least fiddle a bit more, safe in the knowledge that if i trip the immobiliser /trash the handset i can stil get to work ;p

iv just been chatting to a guy who says the dealer will want £100+ to plug my wagon in and fiddle with the alarm ECU and even then there no guarantee it will fix the problem!?

Does anyone near plymouth have a nanocom or similar that would be able to help me out for a few bucks?!

• 4 years later...

Hi deaftonewonder did you get it sorted as I now have the same issue with my w reg 130 td5 and I'm pulling my hair out ive fitted new earths to front and rear lights had truck in bits to no avail my hazards work I've got full beam ie I can flash at people I have brake lights but no side/main lights I also noticed today if I turn lights on it activated alarm sounder but if I brake sounder stops but kicks in again as soon as I stop braking cheers will from Norwich