Cracked Block On A 3.9?

istruggle2gate11

Hi all,

I have just bought a RRC 3.9 V8 just for the injection system and ancilaries as it was reported to have a presure problem with the cooling system.

BUT... on stripping the engine down, the block is like new, its a late one (stamped oct 94) and so so clean.

Nowhere is their any signs of "steam cleaning" and all the gaskets are like new, the heads have been skimmed as well. Each piston and relevant valve set is marked nicely with carbon, not excessesive, just like a good engine should.

Can i get the blocked checked for cracking (is this likely?).

Any further checks?

Any help very much appreciated, as I am about to replace my gearbox, and in for a penny etc, could do the lump as well.

Rog

My 3.9 was much like yours to look at, but when i stripped the engine down sent the block for pressure testing all was revealed. The block is pre-heated then pressure tested, during heating one of the liners dropped out about 1/2 inch ouch!!, around £800 for new liners so fitted a new 4.6 instead, now i have a RRC that goies like brown stuff of a shiny thing !!

Regards Keith

I have never had to do it but I believe it's readily available at most engine shops.

Worth the peace of mind if you are intending to do the rebuild properly for peace of mind if nothing else.

I would ask the question though why a 94 engine has had to have the heads skimmed in the first place and why he was selling it with the full EFi kit. Changing to diesel you would suspect but why the head job if it's not performance oriented. :blink:

Thanks Guys,

Ive taken it to my local engine shop, although they cant pressure test, he inspected it well (after a good clean) and has found a gasket problem, so he has advised a hone and new rings.

In his opinion the block is a "gud un", so hey, Im going to take a chance, all in, I paid £100 for a full 3.9 set up including ECU, air con pump etc, so its woth a risk?

Regarding the heads, they have been refaced but according to the engine guy, they have a very poor surface finish which he is going to skim.

Its all come an ex comp safari racer who has just accumilated so much stuff he wanted rid, even got a LT77S with borg warner transfer box for good money, which again looks good. They were all taken from a 91year rangie which he broke in anticipation of needing.

Looks like you are onto a winner, good 3.9 blocks are rumored to be getting rarer, but that might just have been spin from the joker trying to sell me one. ;)

Just remember Niall when you are home there is a 3.9 engine and a ZF gearbox waiting for you as well as a full set of D2 alloys.

When are you home anyway? and do you need a car? cos my CSK needs a good run!

Just remember Niall when you are home there is a 3.9 engine and a ZF gearbox waiting for you as well as a full set of D2 alloys.

Just don't add a chassis & body to the list or she will call it a Rangie & I will be two nuts short of a full Rangie :o

What are D2 alloys anyway? Hope you still have the old 5 spokes!

cos my CSK needs a good run!

We could jsut swap number plates :D

I should be back second week in October if my Boss gets around to approving my leave. :angry:

Drop me a line if you get time.