MSB to NNN ECU change over. Was the wiring changed?

Difference is the size of the memory and if it can be flashed (=reprogrammed) or not.

Tuning a MSB type ecu means you have to put a new chip in, a NNN can be reprogrammed

Was the ILT additional wiring or using spares in the original loom?

Not a problem to use a NNN ECU on a pre 2002 Td5.... only wiring changes effect the EGR and a couple of other (none important) features.

However you MUST make sure you use the correct software/calibration for the pre 2002 engine - and the ECU settings will need to be changed to use the earlier two track throttle pedal.

When the Td5 went to lot EU3 lots of things changed (due to emission regs) - and as such the mapping between the EU2 and EU3 engine is very different - and not changing the software can cause problems.

Don't get a NNN500250 as these were only used on a Discovery, and there is no proper Defender software for them... and don't get an Auto ECU.

You need a NNN500020 or an NNN000250 - as for both ECU versions there is a correct EU2 file for the later EU3 ECU,

Ian

Thanks for the info Ian.

The reason i'm interested in the differences is because I have an MSB101171 unit here and it doesn't work any longer.

The problem appears to be a 4.7uf 35v tantalum that has failed catastrophically and burned part of the board in its demise.

I was curious if it could be that the previous owner had plugged it in to a 2002 vehicle and caused the failure. Chances are it was just the tantalum going short, but it's always good to ask if unsure.