TD5 Disco 2 manual gear selector problems

petrolhead63

My TD5 manual disco 2 has developed a gear selector problem which I do not believe to be the usual bias plate/springs, these I replaced and set up some time ago after the usal breakage and it drove very well.

This truck always had the occasional "baulk" to finding first gear since I got it, over 30K miles if it helps!

It has suddenly decided not to let me select the 1st/2nd plane most of the time and when in 3rd/4th I am pretty sure the front back movement in gear is more than it used to be....a few inches even in gear.

The bias plate/springs are fine and still adjusted well I think and generally this only affects 3rd/4th central bias I think.

So I think it could be in the gearbox selectors? any ideas greatfully received and also information about whether I can take the top off the box to sort it without taking the box out the vehicle, I can sea a square section held on with bolts?

Also I am aware that the gearstick yoke bush can break up...., if the bias plate is off can I simply unbolt and lift the top plate off to get at the gearstick bush and if it was broken up would it be very obvious before I get inside to look? could that be worn and the culprit?

You may find the selector retaining grub screw is working loose in which case you'll find out pretty soon as it will drop out and leave you with no gears at all. Most people don't notice but from when mine went I remember a "strangeness" in the gears in the days before it happened which I didn't pay much attention to till afterwards...

You can get at it from the top in a 300 age vehicle so I assume you probably can in a D2 since it's more or less the same box. I've never heard of it happening to newer vehicles though, it was a 90s disease, but it's possible.

Thanks for that, I think I need to take the top off the box. The truck is a 2000 millenium model so not so far off a 90's one and likely even built in 99 ;0)

I guess if I lift the top I can see the grub screw and the other bushings etc on the linkage/stick assembly?

ok, made time over lunch, the bush in the yoke is clapped, it was seen laying in the gearcase and hooked out with a coat hanger wire!

The grub screw/yoke seem ok, I will check.

Of concern though, the ball was laying in the yoke and retrieved but I think there is a clip somewhere that is missing.....in the gearbox!

I am of a mind it will either end up in the bottom of the casing out of harms way or be soft enough to chew up if it tangled in the gears?

Because it was in bits inside...can someone tell me how the plastic bush, clip and ball all fit together?

Hey Dooroy, that would be very kind of you thanks! I have a bush and clip ordered and await the post with baited breath!

Looking at the bush remains it has a shoulder which I think is too big for it to push into the yoke from the top. It looks like the yoke comes off (It is off fine ;0) and the new bush pushes in from below with the ball captive in it by the metal spring clip on top of the yoke as you look into the gearbox.

My continued concern is the old clip........missing in action! somewhere within the gearbox and just hope it lays in the bottom out of harms way or that the gear wheels are hard enough to chew it up and spit it out in bits!

Gearbox Pictures.

Took 6 but can only upload 3 - second one shows what you need .

I think that the snap ring holding the bush in place could not have fallen out until you pulled up the gearlever . The gap in the snap ring is much narrower than the gear handle spindle - if that makes sense .

You would appear to be on the right track - bush comes up from the bottom and then held in place by the snap ring .

Yoke held in place by a very tight 5mm allen head grub screw .Mine was packed with grease so make sure to clear it out so that allen key goes all the way in .

Once opened yoke can be removed .

If you had a suitable magnet you could try 'fishing' for the missing snap ring - they are fairly tough .

post-2973-0-81237500-1343260832_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-82873400-1343260864_thumb.jpg

post-2973-0-98962800-1343260903_thumb.jpg

I should have replied sooner, many thanks for your effort in posting the pics. It has ensured I got it correct, I agree the snap ring may have got dropped in when I lifted top cover off which was a bit stubborn so probably was silly and did not hold the gear lever still with a 3rd hand!

I tried fishing with a magnet as it happens before you suggested it but could not find one small enough to go right down, the large gears are really close to the casing.

I have chanced it I'm afraid and had to assemble it. It drives lovely......better than ever, just hope that ring stays in the bottom, I suspect it should end up stuck in the sludge.

The grub screw on the yoke was fitted clean and dry very tightly with a little dob of loctite for good measure..

• 5 months later...

ive just changed my clutch im my d2, on my back on my drive way, it took a few days but as far as i know its done correctly, when i was jacking the box back in to place i put it in 4th gear( so i could check the splines were located when i turned the flywheel) and i managed to jack it up and catch the gear stick stub on the body, as i was underneath i did not know untill the car started to lift... so i ended up lifting the car with all that pressure on the stub....... when i noticed what i had done i let it down and continued with the job, once it was all back together i tried to check it, with the engine off, i selected each gear in turn but could not get reverse, also it was stiff and was not a nice shift at all (compared to what it was) i started the engine and depressed the clutch, i was not able to select any gear!!

i turned it off and put the box in 1st gear with the clutch depressed i started it up, i let the clutch out and was able to pull forward but could not change gear, the bite was where it should be and the pedal felt fine,

i thought it was a clutch problem untill i read your post, could this have caused these symptoms, is this the kind of thing you were expierencing?

please help me im at a loss

cheers

john

• 7 years later...

Hi don’t know if anyone could help but been working on fixing the gear selector problem on my td5 disco and when I’ve striped it down the plastic clip and the ball has fallen into the gearbox somwhere and I can’t seem to find it to get them out drained the oil and had magnets in there and a little graver tool and can’t seem to find them any ideas what I should do next ? 

The plastic bush will be easily ground up by the gears .

The metal selector ball is large & can probably cause some serious damage if left - especially if it moves around while the car is moving / gearbox rotating. I'd hope it's large enough to be seen with a good light & enough poking around.

I would have thought the retaining circlip would also cause problems if left inside - being made of hardened spring steel.
However, I never managed to retrieve the 1 that that fell inside on my gearbox when the plastic bush failed. There weren't any significant metal particles in the oil or the magnetic end of the drain plug - so I've no idea what happened to it !

PS I assume you;ve removed the top alloy housing to improve access ?

Good luck !
Don't drop the selector yoke grubscrew in there too ( I had a "near miss" with that as well - lol)

Paul

Edited by Pawl12

Thanks for the reply ye I’ve took the alloy housing off the top and I can’t see it anywhere I’ve had the magnet stick in there and can’t seem to get it anywhere but snookered if I can’t get it out gearbox out job if I can’t get it or do I chance it 😆