LT85 - 2.8 Isuzu Clutch problem

I did an engine conversion a couple of years back from a V8 to an Isuzu 4JB1 2.8 diesel, it's a lovely engine but the clutch has given out. The clutch plate I fitted was a Valeo 23 spline 9.5" or 242 mm. It looked a skinny little thing when I fitted it and I did wonder then.

What would be the best thing to replace it? I had there is an HD version for the 130 but have seen various sizes quoted but do not know if it will fit my LT85 which I think is a 23 spline input shaft.

The Isuzu clutch cover will only accept a 9.5" plate so cannot use the original V8 one which is nice and big 10.5". I had a donor engine that had its Isuzu cover spaced off with washers, what is the significance of this? Other varied sources have pointed to differences between Borg & Beck and Valeo saying the Borg & Beck units have more meat on them?

I had meant to talk to Rakeway in the week but could not, will try them monday. As well as the plate I was thinking of doing the clutch fork too, the release bearing is in a big solid metal carrier (came with conv kit from C & P) its less than 2 years old do I need to change that?

when i put a v8 into a series , donkeys years ago , i used a jaguar pressure plate and a diesel lr friction plate. that lasted well, only prob was you needed a strong left leg! try contacting a clutch refurb company as they will know the substitutions possibilities , HTSH

when i put a v8 into a series , donkeys years ago , i used a jaguar pressure plate and a diesel lr friction plate. that lasted well, only prob was you needed a strong left leg!

Hi, after the third cover broke (radial crack) I did exactly the same and it lasted longer than my ability to afford fuel for it.

ive got the standard B&B 9.5" plate in mine, and did have some troubles with the standard 2.25d clutch system not coping. im now using a disco pressure plate with a B&B friction plate, and have been for well over a year. its a reasonably heavy pedal, but ive not managed to get it to slip yet,

• 1 month later...

Well I fitted an AP plate which looks a lot more meaty than the Valeo unit in before, however, the bite is very close to the top of the pedal travel. There is no spongyness so I dont believe any air is in the system.

Does anyone have any ideas why the bite would be high? might sound klike a daft question but I dont quite know how the system works! The cover was spaced off with washers I did wonder if they have a role in locating the bite position or whether an adjustable push rod might vary the position (suggestion from fitter at work)

The installation instructions I have for the 2.8 conversion kit from Conversion & Precision stipulate that 1mm washers must be installed between pressure plate and flywheel. That's when using LR clutch plate and Isuzu pressure plate, so could be to take account of a difference in depth between Isuzu and LR pressure plates, maybe the LR clutch plate is 1mm thicker, or the position of the flywheel might be slightly different on the Isuzu.

I run the Isuzu pressure plate, LR clutch plate and have 1mm washers in and pedal position and operation is perfect.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...