best make for a decent toolbox (not snap on prices)

discomikey

Looks like if you want two large drawers you need to go for the five drawer base unit rather than the six drawer (they do have a bundle deal for that, though it's £75 dearer - which is still a good saving). I wonder if the current deal on the six drawer version is because they're replacing it with the five drawer because you aren't the first to make this observation? I notice it's only on three colours.

Five drawer version:

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/storage/tool-chests-cabinets/halfords-industrial-4-drawer-chest-and-5-drawer-tool-cabinet-bundle

Only comes in the one colour - like I said, I'm guessing (but it is only a guess) that it's a new replacement for the six drawer?

Too late now - I'm not buying another :D

Next thing I am doing is to fit 'suspension' to mine... My yard is composed of pretty nasty concrete with lots of cracks and pot-holes and (even with no tools in the cabinet) it's very difficult to move around.

So I am going to put the wheels on rubber isolation bushes which I hope will give just enough 'give' to ease the passage over the rough concrete. I'll report back in a few days hoe it goes...

• 10 months later...
On 19/08/2016 at 5:09 PM, ThreeSheds said:

Next thing I am doing is to fit 'suspension' to mine... My yard is composed of pretty nasty concrete with lots of cracks and pot-holes and (even with no tools in the cabinet) it's very difficult to move around.

So I am going to put the wheels on rubber isolation bushes which I hope will give just enough 'give' to ease the passage over the rough concrete. I'll report back in a few days how it goes...

Sorry for the long delay - the suspension went very well and allows the unit to be wheeled around very much more easily

You might also want to beef up the underside with some plate so that the casters don't try an work there way through the floor. I have bumpy concrete at work and have stuck to pieces of 10mm plate on mine:

DSC04660.thumb.JPG.74626e7db91c2740ebdb320d18d8124b.JPG

Plus a full tool box can be quite heavy!

For reference this is a snap on 40 inch roll cab, I have the top box at home.

Steve