A better defender heater - a new project!

simonr

Barry, undoubtedly it is! But as I understand it, the heater contains the matrix and two flaps.

The hot cold flap directs air through or around the matrix and the other one shuts off the heater altogether so no air flow at all.

I figure if you set the heater to cold, the PTC heater should not me heating the matrix (much).

Si

I really like the idea of an exhaust heater, it's something i've considered doing myself, if made out of stainless there's no real risk of the inner pipe leaking to the heat exchanger and the heat is almost instant once the engine is running. If you then used a seperate blower fan, like a bilge blower, you'd then just have to duct the heat into the car.

For an exhaust heater, you could loosely box in the exhaust manifold and duct this to the side of the plenum chamber underneath the intake on the wing. In the winter, you block the intake on top of the wing so air is drawn past the manifold instead?

Si

Si, that would work but you would have to be certain of the gas tightness of your gaskets etc, the idea of a simple heat exchanger (i.e. one pipe inside another) made of stainless so that it wouldn't rust through would virtually guarantee gas tightness and would be just as effective. I would have thought there would be a market for this sort of thing so im surprised nobody has picked up on it. As fas as i'm aware it's only beetle's and vw campers that use the exhaust for the cabin heater.

When I built the the exhuast for The 109, I tried to keep a straight run under the second floor. My plan is to wrap it in microbore copper and feed it up to a heater matrix under the second row seats with a seperate fan. I thought a wrapping of insulation would help. It will hold mositure and rot out the steel, but my plan is to replace the exhaust in stainless as it rots out anyway.

I fitted the PTC heater today.

post-74-0-99859500-1355672886_thumb.jpg

I drilled 4 holes in he heater and passed a cable tie through each. I also cut down the plastic surround of the heater a little so it will fit through the hole in the wing top.

I drilled a pair of holes in the plenum chamber for the wires to poke through.

post-74-0-67009600-1355672893_thumb.jpg

Pass the heater through the hole then poke the ends of the cable ties through the heater vent cover.

post-74-0-88122000-1355672901_thumb.jpg

Use another 4 cable tie ratchet ends to pull the heater up tight against the underside of the vent. Job done!

The Voltage sensitive relay has not arrived yet - so cannot complete the wiring. But I connected it up to the battery temporarily and it seems to work fine.

Si

• 4 weeks later...

I fitted a snow cowl to my intake and it makes a big difference to demisting when it's raining, yes I know there's a drain in the plenum but a lot of the rain must still make it to the heater where it turns to vapour and gets blown on to the screen. I think it would help with your mod too Simon.

I had an unexpected problem (related to Simon's post) with the heater. If you switch it on while it's raining - suddenly you get masses of steam coming out of the vents! It took about 5 sec for the cab to look like a Sauna!

JasonG4110 kindly gave me a Snow Cowl which has made it much better! Even without the heater I think it demists quicker in the rain and the air is warmer!

Si

Roughly on-topic question, does anyone know how much current a '89 defender fan should draw, and what current the wiring is rated to?

I always thought the fan on the 90 was pants, after taking the dash apart and putting it back together properly, I realised that the switch was only travelling to the second click on full travel (first click is flap fully open, second click fan speed low, third fan on full), and that there was a whole extra full speed setting which previously couldn't be selected! This blows a reasonable amount of air, equivalent to a 'modern' car - however it blows the (standard) 10A fuse after a few mins.

Changing the fuse and doing some quick diagnosis this morning before my commute shows the fuse glowing cherry red as soon as you select full speed. Bearing in mind everyone complaining that the fan is carp compared to a modern car, and the fact that it blows 10A fuses after a few mins, has it been tampered with or is there a wiring fault somewhere? When I had the heater box apart it looked to be a standard fan and span freely...

I don't think it's a short as that would blow the fuse much quicker, but I'm loathed to stick a higher amp fuse in there if it's going to cause a wiring fire!

Jon As I found out to my cost glass fuses are not all equal, some are sold as holding current and some as blow current. The originals are holding current, i.e will hold 2.5A and blow at 5-6A, the halfords jobbies blew at 2.5A. Sidelights were fine until I connected the trailer up....

Sorry for the off topic....

Jon As I found out to my cost glass fuses are not all equal, some are sold as holding current and some as blow current. The originals are holding current, i.e will hold 2.5A and blow at 5-6A, the halfords jobbies blew at 2.5A. Sidelights were fine until I connected the trailer up....

I've just found out the same thing - it also seems that the fuse boxes are labelled as holding current, not peak. Later ones with blade fuses have 15A fuses for the blower...

• 1 month later...
I completed my latest heater upgrade experiment at the weekend... I replaced the on/off air flap in the heater box with one of the PTC heater modules used in a lot of modern cars to give instant demist. This ones from a Peugeot 807 I think, and it was cheap on the bay because of the obvious (and irrelevant) damage to the wiring.

heater1.jpg

It's a little bit longer than the width of the heater box, so CNC'd a couple of brackets to mount it nicely...

heater5.jpg

All mounts up nicely, with an 80A Albright solenoid on the fan housing, to switch it on with.

heater3.jpg

Since the Ibex doesn't have a rear screen demister, I can use that switch and get a meaningful warning light on the dashboard.

I have to wait for some duff weather to find out if its really any good, but on a warm afternoon this weekend, the output air was noticeably warmer than ambient in 15-20 seconds from startup, with the fan running at full speed.

Startup current is close to 100A, dropped to a stable value just below 50A with the fan running at full chat, so typically around 800W :o (Best not forget and leave it switched on!)

Being PTC, it will draw more current as the intake air temperature falls, trying to maintain the temperature of the heater element.

I have just purchased one of these from the bay of eeee.

Said to have come from a Pug 307, but looks identical to the one above. I wouldn't be surprised if all frog cars may use the same unit.

My question regards wiring - the heavy brown wire has a ring terminal fitted, so assumed to be +ve. The other 3 wires are in a multi-pin connector housing. Are they all -ve for 3 separate sections of the heater, or some other arrangement? Can anyone shed any light before I turn it into a single use heating device?

Slow replies, sorry wasn't following the thread recently...

There are 3 heater modules in the unit, one side of each is common, so 4 wires. The large brown will be positive in PSA setups, but PTCs aren't polarity sensitive so wire it however suits your install.

I just paralleled all the elements in mine, as I had some suitable solenoids for switching the enormous load. If you wire the brown to starter motor feed as I did (via a big hairy fuse of course!), you could use three 30A relays to give you three stages of heating.