Defender Diff Lock

Hi Guys

So I bought a Defender 90 Td5 2001 (South Africa) a couple of weeks ago, it has low mileage and is clean but the diff lock light does not come on. I don't think the diff lock is engaging as the stearing isn't effected when the 2nd lever is pushed over to the left, either in hi or lo range.

Any advice please, I am not a mechanic :mellow:

thanks

Nigel

With the vehicle on level ground and the handbrake engaged and the engine not running jack one of the front wheels, it doesn't matter which, clear of the ground. With the diff-lock disengaged the wheel should turn freely by hand. Now move the diff-lock lever to the engaged position and you should find that you cannot turn the wheel. Moving the diff-lock lever to the disengaged position should result in the wheel again being able to be turned. If this is the case the fault is with either the switch or the associated wiring.

Cheers,

Del

HI All and thanks Del, did as you suggested and the wheel locked up so it is the switch/light not the diff lock. :D

Nigel,

Good news! I have to agree with mmgemini and suggest you get it fixed ASAP. If it is the switch be very gentle with it when you replace it as the wall thickness of the threaded section is not very thick and it is all to easy to shear if you overtighten it, even ever so slightly. I know, I've done it!!

Cheers,

Del