Alternator Plug

Hi I have just brought a new Alternator for my 90 which was a NAD and now a 200 TDI I brought one that said it was for a 110 or 90 from 86 which I thought would be the same as mine.

My orginal Alternator has 3 thick wire in a plug and 1 loose spade which plugs in

The new Alternator has just the plug or 3 spades

do I need the loose spade connector

Which way should the new one be plugged in it came with no instrctions to say which pin is what

I was hoping it was going to be a straight swap but oh no that would be easy.

Baz

I have just checked and the Big plug with the 3 wires on fits in the new alternator. But I have got another smaller cable with a female spade connector which has no where to plug into on the new alternator. Is this wire needed ????

I have just checked and the Big plug with the 3 wires on fits in the new alternator. But I have got another smaller cable with a female spade connector which has no where to plug into on the new alternator. Is this wire needed ????

what colour code on the single wire , it'll help identify if you need it, do you have a rev counter fitted ? if it's brown/yellow trace then Yes it must be connected to the new alternator.

you should have thick brown which is the feed from alternator to starter motor solenoid/battery Positive terminal & a thin wire which is for the charging light, all these are needed, you won't have a battery sense connection as that's used on a different alternator system on more up to date vehicles [Td5 for example]