SIII Safari 109 seat belts

SimonTemplar

Morning all. First up, I am sorry if this has been asked before and I have missed it - I have searched, looked in the archive etc and can't find a response that covers this. So apologies if that turns out to be my incompetence and this has been covered before.

We have a '79 SII Safari 109, with 12 seats - a row of three in the front, then a second row of three (front facing) seats behind those which fold flat, and then two side-facing benches in the rear. At the moment there is a static seat belt for the driver's seat, and one for the 'main' front passenger seat, and no seatbelts on the other ten seats. Both of the existing seatbelts are in pretty poor condition. The interior (and, for that matter, the rest of the Safari) is entirely standard.

We would like to fit seatbelts of some sort to the front six seats, ie. the two forward-facing rows. We have kids, and in rough weather it would be useful to be able to do the occasional short school run in the Safari, ferry the odd friends through snow etc.

My query here is really to ask people how they think I should proceed? My local garage are pretty switched on to both old cars and Land Rovers specifically, but on this occasion they have asked me to supply belts and they could fit. They know one local supplier whom I visited, but he refused to fit belts as he said that it would be unsafe for children so would not be happy fitting them, his main concerns being that the seats are low-backed and the second row folds forwards. I have not so far managed to get a clear answer elsewhere. I have seen other similar Land Rovers with seatbelts fitted to the front six seats, so I feel certain that this must be possible.

So does anyone on here have any experience of this? I would be happy to replace the existing front two static belts with new static belts, as were we to switch to inertia reel the reel itself would be prone to damage etc being siting in the rear footwell. I am guessing that we would need a lap belt for the middle front seat. In terms of the second row belts, again a lap belt would be fine for the middle seat (assuming that fixing a shoulder belt would be problematic?) but for the left and right seats I'd rather go with an inertia reel belt with the reel mounted in the rear load area? Or failing that a shoulder static belt or even a full harness? My issue is that I have had conflicting advice elsewhere about both what is possible and which parts I would need. I feel like others must have done this previously and that I ought to be able to buy an off the shelf kit from somewhere that won't cost an arm and a leg. I am hoping that throwing the question out on here will lead to an averaged out opinion emerging as I'm finding it surprisingly difficult elsewhere.

Many thanks in advance for any ideas - please help!!

Simon

110 county station wagon seatbelts [inertia type] sould fit 7 work without to many problems, body & mountings is basically the same.

front & 2nd row outer seats have inertia reel

front centre & 2nd row centre have lap belts as do the side facing rear bench seats..