Harvey Frost Winch

Night Train

Might be a bit OT but I have just acquired a Harvey Frost winch from one of these recovery cranes.

YI230CCB9_1_large.jpg

Does anyone know of a source for any technical information on them? I think they were 1.5 ton lifting.

I have searched and I can only find historic recovery applications and lots of images of old Land Rovers but nothing technical.

From handle to cable drum it seems to be about 16:1 ratio and the drum seems to only have enough flange to hold two layers of 8mm cable. The one in the image above seems to have a bigger flange on the drum for more cable.

Were they used in other applications requiring less cable?

This is my one with the shallower drum.

ms5wRFeJCBBGVsBplfdp47Q.jpg

I was thinking of welding a couple of steel flat rings onto the drum to give me a few more layers of cable but wasn't sure if that was a good idea or not. Any advice?

It has an intersting automatic ratchet.

When winding in the ratchet clicks and the load on the cable cannot unwind the drum. When the handle is turned the other way, there is about 1/4 turn of slack and then the ratchet releases and the cable can be paid out. To lock the drum 1/2 a turn to wind in and the ratchet holds it.

It will go on the back of my electric tractor and have a reduction drive from the traction motor for hauling logs.

Thank you.

Thank you, that is great.

I had a look under the inspection cover and figured out the brake workings. It all seems to be working well and the grease inside looks fine. I will grease all the nipples in any case.

Can your cable drum hold more then two wrap layers of cable?

Looking at close ups of some of the various cranes there does seem to be a wide variation of drum diameter and width depending on applicaton.

OK, I'll see if I can weld a taller flange on mine. I am hoping to get, maybe, 15-20m on there so I can have a reasonable reach with a snatch block before resorting to extending with chains.

Cheers.

Oh, I found this Flikr site that has some interesting specifications of the HF range.

Linky.