Volvo c303 on Defender

schneide

It does look worse on the picture than it really is, but it does sit under the axletube. Even when moving the trackrod under the arms on the swivelhousing it only barely misses the panhard. How on earth other people have cleared it I cannot comprehend, either they have moved the steering box and bracket, and the panhard. Or they have somehow modded the swivelhousing. But I think they just have a suspension lift and made longer bumpstops. But we want the car as low as possible not to ruin the handling completely :)

So a protection plate will be made for the trackrod

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks, well he has extended Poly bumpstops on now from his previous setup, and up to these there are only approx. 30mm. But the plan is to make bumpstops that sits outside the frame rails to allow full use of the space between the rails and the axlehousing. Making a portaled car low does present a whole lot of challenges as you know :) Well the trackrod gets very close that's why we had to move it to the underside of the arms on the knuckles/swivelhousings. He has bought an arm for a RR though to gain some more clearance.

The bumper actually sits at exactly the same height as my brothers 90" on a 2" lift and 38" tall tyres, where this has even larger 39,5"s! So it sure sits low considering the portals

Axles were fitted yesterday:

attachicon.gifWP_000078.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_000079.jpg

attachicon.gifWP_000080.jpg

That is a fairly large scrub radius,although the later photo on post#33 show that has been corrected. How was that done? Wonder how the steering knuckles will cope with the extra leverage? Was the axle redrilled to tilt the diff pinion up like the original?

Edit, I just found the post where Shneide mentioned making new wheels to correct the width/scrub radius.

Hi Bill. I'm no expert in English technical terms so bare with me. By scrub radius do you mean distance from kingpin to wheel mounting surface? We did not alter anything on the axles except disc brakes. We just clocked the prop until it was lined up as per Series and there were no vibrations.

yes you're quite right, but we couldn't work around the panhard mount, when the car sits so low they will contact eachother if located at the top. This one is kinked as well and made pretty strong now that it sits that low. Ideally we would just change thenpanhard mount but with very strict MOT rules here in Denmark this would be no good. This way he can still swap acles back to rover with a simple bolt off/ bolt on excercise

yes you're quite right, but we couldn't work around the panhard mount, when the car sits so low they will contact eachother if located at the top. This one is kinked as well and made pretty strong now that it sits that low. Ideally we would just change thenpanhard mount but with very strict MOT rules here in Denmark this would be no good. This way he can still swap acles back to rover with a simple bolt off/ bolt on excercise

Just a suggestion, why not mill out a new bolt-on chassis bracket for the panard rod out of some 40mm thick plate?

With some nice machining and a bit of paint nearly anything could pass as a standard bracket.

Then again if you made it too nice it would stand out against the stock rover stuff!!

Hi Bill. I'm no expert in English technical terms so bare with me. By scrub radius do you mean distance from kingpin to wheel mounting surface? We did not alter anything on the axles except disc brakes. We just clocked the prop until it was lined up as per Series and there were no vibrations.

Hi Soren, Yes you got the scrub radius description correct. It looked excessive with the small wheels on the photos on post #25 , but it looks good on the later photos with the larger wheels.

On the 110 I fitted Volvos to, we had serious vibration issues with the front propshaft when the diff pinion was set up horizontal like on a Series. A propshaft with a double Cardan joint was very heavy and didn't completely solve the problem. Redrilling the axle housing to tilt the pinion up 12 degrees as on the original 110 diff did sort things out however and we were able to revert back to the standard propshaft. I will be visiting the owner of that vehicle in a \week or two, so I will try to take a photo of how we organised the Panhard rod mountings for full up travel by relocating the original chassis bracket. Michele I think may have a photo of it in his collection, but it was some years ago and might be difficult to find.

Okay, very interesting. We seemed to have solved any vibrations simply by clocking the yokes on the propshaft. But as you know, sometimes vibrations are easy to cure and sometimes they just never seem to go away. Luck of the draw I suppose.

If you could find a picture or two it sure would be interesting to see

Okay, very interesting. We seemed to have solved any vibrations simply by clocking the yokes on the propshaft. But as you know, sometimes vibrations are easy to cure and sometimes they just never seem to go away. Luck of the draw I suppose.

If you could find a picture or two it sure would be interesting to see

I had a look at the portalled 110 yesterday, but unfortunately I was dressed in my Sunday best, the truck was caked in a thick layer of mud and the mobile phone photo didn't turn out.Anyway the position of the panhard rod mounting is as follows.Draw a line down through the 2 rear steering box mounting bolts, and reposition the Panhard mount so that the bottom hole, the one that the tie bar from the steering box goes to, is centred with the line and approx 50mm below the lower bolt hole.The middle bolt hole in the Panhard mount lines up with the top front hole of the steering box, so a longer bolt is required there.A new bracket is made and welded to the chassis to pick up the top hole of the Panhard mount.This is how we originally did it, but it was found the the chassis was too soft and the Panhard kept working loose, so a 6mm thick sandwich plate was fitted between the chassis and the panhard mount to solidify that area.The Panhard mount was slimmed down 6mm to keep the axle centred.

This places the panhard rod behind the the Pitman shaft of the steering box and out of the way of the trackrod and with just enough clearance from the diff bowl to allow full uptravel.Don't worry about the tie bar from the steering box. That was only to stabilise the panhard bracket, not stabilise the steering box.

Thanks for the Info Bill, I think I know what you mean. Wouldn't work for my mate though, as he has the LR Radius Arms on and they too had to be trimmed a bit to clear the steering rod. It would be much better in this case to have the rod behind the axle instead as LR coiler axles. But it would of course involve some welding