Sam's 3.5 Disco MEGASQUIRT START/FINISH INSTALL THREAD! :)

Mr Noisy

Ahhhhh!

So what are we saying here?!

I'd rather put it inside as originally planned but I now learn it has to be fitted to metal to heatsink it.

I'd much rather it in the waterproof box but if that's a definite no then everyone seems to say engine bay to keep the coil wires away.

What to do?!

Just messing about so far tonight, no work done! :o

So did you use the disco twin manifolds? Just wondering what the downpipes were like? I went in there a while back for some studs but they didn't have any, seemed a good setup there though.

So back to the ms, that's the ms relay board or the vehicle one? I'm thinking of doing ms but struggling to get my head round it as I've never actually seen a kit yet

No mate I've got hedman headers fitted, 4-1. Disco twin downpipes are just ok if you match the entries and port the manifolds, but they're limited to 3.5 really.

It's an MS relay board mate, basically handles all your in/outs with screw terminals. So you make up a loom to link the ECU to the FR board, then all your loom connects to the board, and it's all ready fused and relayed.

Makes the job simpler. Tbh i was the same, no ****ing idea until I started building, did some reading, then started to understand!

Well, after a slow start to the evening, the decision was taken and the EDIS 8 was mounted on the inner wing.

What swung it for me was the fact that I had a peek inside and everything was completely sunk in jelly. This unit is waterproof!! :D

I was keen to heat sink it after learning it was a requirement (I kinda sussed that it had a metal back for a reason anyway) and I was keen to not run the coil control wires with the rest of the loom. This way they only meet 3" of the rest of the loom.

EDIS was wired up, BIG earth to the battery (2mm) and an equal size supply to the relay board, and screened cable for the VR and SAW/PIP, with both shields soldered to pin 7.

090198E9-18CB-494E-8580-C53A29CED784-6149-000002DC0332C8A8.jpg

Then got on with fitting the coil packs that my brother very kindly cleaned up, and then fitted the first of the plugs, to the coils. Riding on the crest of this wave we did the CTS, PWM and MAT plugs.

DCCC2AFB-2EF8-42FD-ACAE-C6C697B272B5-6149-000002DC0B1307BE.jpg

F0F66E3A-00AC-49F2-B51D-360EF333BC6E-6149-000002DC13356AAF.jpg

F09D19A3-4D40-4E57-87F1-453101E26E25-6149-000002DC1AE72ED2.jpg

6096D55D-EB35-403C-BC7C-4B5C29D7BA7A-6149-000002DC210A1537.jpg

Will do the VR sensor tomorrow and the injector plugs (bit more tricky!) and hope to god that my plenum gasket arrives in the post.

NB, I will be soldering the terminals into the cable for the VR sensor but will not fit them into the plug until it runs, which shouldn't be too long now!! :D

Does your coil bracket reach the plenum cover? I had to fit the bracket on the back of the pump for it to all line up

Looks like you are cracking on well. Still wading thro my install. Keep finding bits to improve on the wiring on the rest of the car at the same time.

Do the Pip and Saw really need to be shielded? Has anyone run them without?

Good luck with the rest of it.