Rover V8 - "The Basics" Leads.. Cap.. Rotor Arm.. Plugs

Hybrid_From_Hell

Hello V8 Lovers :D

Today I had a mate "Return" with his RR which has had a big misfire for a long time,

I had a go at it a while back, and eventually he belived me when I told him he needed to go shopping for some parts.

As a result I thought this post may help a number of people being "Mini- Tech" on a V8,

I have over the years lost count of how many times I have said / done / advised the same as below......

1. Use NGK BP6RES NOT Champions (V8s just don't seem to get on with them as well), and Don't waste your money on (as matey had) Bosch 4 pin whizzy plugs, again V8s are fussy 'plug wise' :huh: .

2. Gap them, .....even thought everyone tells you they are 'gapped' as std in the box - they vary - see note 1 above - and gap all to 0.6mm.

3. Use a GENUINE Dizzy Cap, GENUINE Rotor Arm, and GENUINE Leads.

He had some leads from somewhere which cost a lot, they were junk, and the wrong lengths, this often means you'll end up with a very messy lead install, and crossing leads is not a good thing, if you buy genuine leads then you can fit them as below and get them neat and more importantly reduce the chances of tracking from C**p leads and a poor plug lead installation

4. Fit the leads DIZZY end 1st, and start with plug leads 2 4 6 & 8, get the in the right order into the dizzy cap, and then work TOWARDS the plugs, clipping them as you go to the diagram below, if you don't have the correct LR Plug Clip go buy them from a dealer, they are cheap and make a huge difference.

5. THEN do the other side 1 3 5 & 7, same - start from the dizzy end, work towards the plugs, clipping as you go,

6. Then add the coil to dizzy lead, and fine tune all the leads to the diagram / piccy below.

This will make a huge difference, more than most understand, ......with all of the above done, mate drove off a very happy bunny, ..........phoned to say it was like a different RR. B)

Picture I have used for years to get them right :

V8Medium.jpg

Simple and Basic stuff I know, but as I said at the start it seems I give this info out monthly,

..........so I thought a Post for the Tech forum may be useful ?

Nige

3. Use a GENUINE Dizzy Cap, GENUINE Rotor Arm.

I don't have those on mine :ph34r:

When I had a 3.9 I was surprised to find you can't (or couldn't) actually buy genuine lead sets for these (the dizzy is in a slightly different location on the serpentine engines IIRC).

If you ordered the p/no from the book for a genuine 3.9 lead set (which should be all the right length) you got a mishmash of individual part numbered leads (the original part no was superceded) but there were only about 3 different length of lead (there were 2 or 3 of some part numbers), and it looked like a right dogs breakfast with them on there.

It turned out that the cause of the misfire was that somebody who had been fiddling (not me I hasten to add) had set the timing to however many degrees AFTER tdc instead of BEFORE... :rolleyes: once I found that it ran a whole lot better....... :unsure:

LR Have tweaked the range recently, and have rationalised the range of leads to 1 set.

This will work fine on all 3.5s and all 3.9s but not serpentine front ends, whereas in the past as you say it was a B*ggers muddle of bits...

Non Genuine Dizzy Cap and Rotor Arm and Leads is often a recipe for probs, you might be lucky.........

Nige

what do these 'spark plugs' do then? except shower the underside of the bonnet with sparks while the car stops?

:ph34r: *hides behind his TDi for protection* :ph34r:

p.s. probably worth a technical post for setting points & timing too (at least on the ones that have them) the amount of people i know who cant do that right either...

Forgot to mention that I haven't ever changed spark plug leads on the 4.0 because to change these on the Thor engines you have to take the whole F&%*^( inlet manifold off to get at the coils (according to the WSM anyway)

Marvellous :(

I agree on cheap dizzy caps/rotor arms, been there done that filed it in the bin!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Sorry to bring this thread back to the top but....

I've been trawling through several threads related to recommendations for V8 spark plugs. Some recommend NGKBP6RES where as others recommend BP6ES. Whats the difference between RES & ES (I know it's R before all of you smart alec's reply) and what effect does this have on the engine???

IIRC it's resistive - rather than having resistive HT leads. To do with noise surpression I think. I know Nige had the wrong plug/lead combo when he went EDIS and it didn't like it.

So fitting BP6ES in a standard 3.5efi system in my challenge motor shouldn't have any detrimental effects then. (Unfortunately I have already bought a set of BP6ES before I fully researched this <_< )

As fridge said the R stands for resistor. Each R type plug has a resistor inside it which stops electromagnetic interference from affecting Radios (as in radio suppression), AND ECUs.

Anything that has a management system of any sort should use the R type plugs. This would include any EFi vehicle.

On some vehicles it may not make any difference at all, some may have funny symptoms and others may throw a wobbler.

Regards,

Diff

As fridge said the R stands for resistor. Each R type plug has a resistor inside it which stops electromagnetic interference from affecting Radios (as in radio suppression), AND ECUs.

Anything that has a management system of any sort should use the R type plugs. This would include any EFi vehicle.

On some vehicles it may not make any difference at all, some may have funny symptoms and others may throw a wobbler.

Diff

Ive just cured a massive resetting problem with my megasquirt, typically caused by noise/interferance, I always run BP6RES as standard so, replaced the lumenition plug leads (8mm silicone blues) with Lexmark Hotwires 8mm from halfords and problem cured!

• 1 year later...
Ive just cured a massive resetting problem with my megasquirt, typically caused by noise/interferance, I always run BP6RES as standard so, replaced the lumenition plug leads (8mm silicone blues) with Lexmark Hotwires 8mm from halfords and problem cured!

So i take it that Halfords is good for somethink then..