thinking of buying 2.5 hse diesel auto

vanmover1

Not diesel specific but general things to look out for include:

Leaking heater matrix o rings - evident by wet drivers side carpets.

Book symbol on hevac display - stuck/busted blend motors - often due to clogged pollen filters.

Blocked sunroof drains/air con drains.

All sorts of EAS problems - leaky valve blocks and air bags leading to worn compressor -EAS lock out (35mph max warning on dash).

Sync issues between keys and becm.

Various battery drain problems.

People te.d not to service or repair them properly due to the high costs so keep your eyes out for one with as much history as possible. Go for the very best you can afford, and get friendly with your local independant.

All problems can be solved, go and have a look at rangerovers.net, it's a mine of information!

one question... are you mad.

now ill be serious. theyre arlight, IF you really arent bothered about gettin anywhere in any form of hurry. they are epicly slow!.

the only other problem is they are prone to crack radiators, and the gearboxes seem to have more common faults than the petrol version. although its the same box so maybe all my experiences have been coincidences

They are like any other vehicle , you get good and bad ones , the diesels will do mega miles , and are a nice drive , but not fast accelerating , cruising is OK The diesel auto does about 26mpg , if driven reasonably . Look for low owners and history , helps lower the ods of getting a lemon . HTSH

ps the l322 was quite an improvement on pace

Our diesel auto did 19mpg until it was super chipped, then it did 23 and no longer had a huge flat spot in the middle. Had trouble with air con, belt tensioners, props shafts - most of the electrical was ok - was COunty spec so manuals seats.....

Wouldn't have one without a warranty..... it turned out to be the last Land Rover product we had as a daily driver - after loosing nearly £25K on that and it's predecessor (a Discovery) I jacked in and went Japanese..... the wife is just about ok with the Classic Bobtail as long as I don't go mad with the £sssss

Some of this posted in a earlier thread

Owning a p38 requires deep pockets and a love of the marque, trying to reason it's good value doesn't add up. But then the enjoyment driving when it is working is nice.

Things to look for air spings, condition of and eas working (changes height and holds the height)

ABS modulator condition

air con working and heater etc

2 keys and making sure car doesn't flatten battery over 2-3 days.

rusty tailgate? bottom edge of lower tailgate

gearboxes are prone to need doing around 100k miles. autobox needs regular fluid changes. If its not been done at 60,000 walk away

diagnostics can be pricey unless you buy a dedicated per vehicle/vin box (not per model)

Ive bought a 4.6 HSE P38. I know you were asking about diesels. I Think, for the money it's a cracking car.

Mine is only a stop gap car until my disco is fully rebuilt (hopefully mid Jan)

It has a few faults, the HEVAC has a fault symbol up but seems to work OK and the central locking doesn't work properly, But none of those things detract from the car in my eyes. It's a great drive, eats up motorway miles and is soooo comfy

I haven't done anything to mine save water and oil (oh and petrol.... Lots of petrol !!!)

If I were to keep it I would invest in one of the diagnostic thing's from black box ( think thats them) then depending what it says repair and replace as necessary.

Andy.

Oh P.S

When I first got it I took it on a few lanes, just to see how it would do. It did very well didn't get stuck at all we were all very impressed.....

Not diesel specific but general things to look out for include:

Leaking heater matrix o rings - evident by wet drivers side carpets.

Book symbol on hevac display - stuck/busted blend motors - often due to clogged pollen filters.

Blocked sunroof drains/air con drains.

All sorts of EAS problems - leaky valve blocks and air bags leading to worn compressor -EAS lock out (35mph max warning on dash).

Sync issues between keys and becm.

Various battery drain problems.

People te.d not to service or repair them properly due to the high costs so keep your eyes out for one with as much history as possible. Go for the very best you can afford, and get friendly with your local independant.

All problems can be solved, go and have a look at rangerovers.net, it's a mine of information!

and I still bought one :hysterical::hysterical: you are not the owner rather owned by a range rover got to say I do love my P38 deisel even if it does lock me out occasionally but the wife does that and i still put up with her :i-m_so_happy:

Love mine to - and to date it's not cost me much more than the tdi 110 it replaced to keep it running.

Factor in the cost of a decent diagnostics machine and get stuck in (main stealer wanted £70 just to read codes!). To date I've managed to carry out the following on the drive:

Rebuilt valve block

Rebuilt air compressor

Replaced both lambdas and full exhaust

Replaced height sensor

Replaced SRS ecu

Replaced heater matrix o-rings

Replaced blend motors

Replaced airspring

Repaired various ball joint rubbers

Nothing too scary - biggest cost (apart from fuel!) Has been full set of tyres and the nanocom..

Not sure I could live with a diesel though ;)

D.

Hi thanks folks that was my P38 he was looking at.

Its got full service history, a chipped engine so does go, I,m the 3rd owner, new air bags pump and valve block.

Does 30 around town and 35 on a run, returned 27 bringing a classic back from Northumberland to lincs.

Now sold so can,t be that bad.

Just goes to show that when properly looked after they are a good buy - it's just that they are expensive to keep serviced and that there are an awefull lot of lemons out there.

As has been mentioned above, you cannot justify the P38 as a 'sensible' buy, but what the hell, everyone has to live a little! And you can get a hell of a lot of car for not a lot of money - If you're careful.