Upgrade LR Axles or Replace?

Warthog

Ali I do like the topic but you seem totally blikered towards Toyo/Nissan gear now your in Aus

when you were here Kam was the bees knees/with M/D shafts in the rear.with your GKN overload hubs(that actually belonged to Bathtub but he got rid as they weren't up to his driving standards/abilities)

I live 20 mins for Maxi Drive, and can pay half the price for them that you lot can. Don't you think i have looked very closely at that route.

Yeah you are right i did think my axles on my 90 were the Bo**ks but they were breakable and i bulit them up over time. They cost me alot of money. I have a new truck that i want to build up quickly at the cheapest way. Not because i can't afford it but because i can't justify it. Things move on you have to open and look around at whats about. Times change Tony things move on Firestone SAT's were the Bee's Knees in the earley 90's , would not give you anything for them now :)

it comes down to what people can do themselves or pay to have done.

as for throwing money at a truck WTF has that to do with anyone?

I earn the money so am entitled to do with it as I want as you or anyone else is.

Hey Tony i was talking in General Mate, must have hit a nerve or a chip on you though :)

Jez, no offence taken old chap. Yes, if I was to start with nothing today I might look at other axles if I was competing here in the UK although things like brake disks and pads might get a little expensive (my record is a set of pads and discs in 1 day :ph34r: ). I don't think I'd ever claim the rover axle is the greatest ever BUT I've had few problems with it so far. Part of the reason I probably still have them is that I started by adding a set of lockers and ashcrofts old 32 spline shafts. I then upgraded to MD and AEU2522s, then I added ashcroft CVs then I pegged the diffs when I had the ARBs serviced. The reason I started down that route is I wasn't in a position to do any major fab work to the truck (I was living in central London) and I wasn't going to pay silly money to have someone do the conversion for me! In the end I'm, touch wood, happy with what I've got BUT I do agree that there isn't so much LR based stuff left in the axle anymore. The spares availabilty issue is deffinatly an issue in my book, but, it may also be a justification on my part of my choice of axle. The other reason I've probably stuck with the axles is better the devil you know; I've been playing with Rover axles since I was about 12.

If I want to head outside the UK then any of the reasons for keeping the rover axle dissappear as I'll be building from scratch and spares availability will be terrible! The only time I'd use a Rover axled vehicle outside the UK would be to scout an event like Ladoga to see what was needed for a build. What axle would I go for? Salisbury? Unlikely as, although they're good, front shafts and CVs are a weak area. 101? Possibly although they are a BIG axle. C303? Again, possibly, as they are a good axle. Custom Dynatrack, Portal Tec, Mog hybrid etc? Again possibly but then you're into big money. My choice at the moment would be none of those as I've got some plans for a vehicle that'd have no axles. However, that's got to wait for the moment until I got the 90 sorted.....

But what happens when 35" are small tyres.

what do you mean when?

:hysterical:

Will - just coz you've been playing with something since you were 12 doesnt mean its hygenic or polite to keep doing it.... :ph34r: my suggestion is why keep doing it the same old way, you get a blinkered experience if you dont experiment? dont just think about a car with no axles - build it! but if you are planning a UK frog you better have a word with Alexey <_<

Warthog - try it whichever way you want, dont worry about lack of welding, theres plenty of help available if you want to give it a go :)

Maggot - welcome, nice to hear tech fella

Ohh - Ali and Tony are having a spatt - brilliant - time to fan the flames.

Things to remember - whatever Ali Read has got or wants will be the best - everything else that has gone before is obsolete - and everyone will hear about it - possibly continuously :D

The reason Ali never broke anythink in his rebuilt axles, was his lame puffy 200tdi couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding - let alone break a CV - and god knows he tried.

You alright over there mate :)

Ali and myself did axle upgrades on our respective 90's and Ibex's at the same time. We spent many an happy hour debating Rover vs Upgrades Vs Salisbury as portals weren't on the scene then.

I bought a 2nd hand disc braked Salisbury rear - complete with a 4.7 diff and ARB for about £350

I spent the same again (roughly) on a disc Salisbury front.

Threw a free 4.7 diff in the front and an ARB

Shaved the diffs with Tonks help to get the ground clearance back - job done.

I can't remember the exact figures but I got similar strength axles to Ali for about a grand less than he paid to upgrade Rover parts.

But things move on

Go Mogs or go home :lol:

The thing is Australia is about 3-5 years ahead of the Uk in off roading terms.

Look what stuff is being used for serious comp in the UK that is Aussie

Old Man Emu

ARB (all their stuff from Lockers to winch blankets to tree stops, extneion strops and snat strops)

Maxi Drive

Safari Snorkles

Haltec stuff (not only their stuff but lot of compies in the Uk have copierd their stuff)

Macminara stuff

Staun Tyre deflators

Staun Internal beadlockers

They have been useing stuff alot longer than us too

Bigger tyres

They have had plasma style winch cable for a lot long than the UK

Simex tyres have been in Aus alot longer than in the Uk. If you don't belive me then go and look at an old Outback challenge Vid After all it was Simon Buck that bought the Simex tyres to the forfront in the UK after going to the Rainforest challenge and saying what the f**k are those :lol:

SO Will and Tony you both pratically have Aussie axles so not too much for somone to try Jap ones :lol:

And just trying to give everyone a heads up to what is going on and to come from Aus :)

:lol:

Ohh - Ali and Tony are having a spatt - brilliant - time to fan the flames.

Things to remember - whatever Ali Read has got or wants will be the best - everything else that has gone before is obsolete - and everyone will hear about it - possibly continuously :D

The reason Ali never broke anythink in his rebuilt axles, was his lame puffy 200tdi couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding - let alone break a CV - and god knows he tried.

You alright over there mate :)

Ali and myself did axle upgrades on our respective 90's and Ibex's at the same time. We spent many an happy hour debating Rover vs Upgrades Vs Salisbury as portals weren't on the scene then.

I bought a 2nd hand disc braked Salisbury rear - complete with a 4.7 diff and ARB for about £350

I spent the same again (roughly) on a disc Salisbury front.

Threw a free 4.7 diff in the front and an ARB

Shaved the diffs with Tonks help to get the ground clearance back - job done.

I can't remember the exact figures but I got similar strength axles to Ali for about a grand less than he paid to upgrade Rover parts.

But things move on

Go Mogs or go home :lol:

G day mate

Yeah you are about right it was about a grand more :huh:

But you are right things move on and i need some strong axles hence going the way i am.

You know what they are like out here Andy. You have the vids :lol:

mmm andy oh dear come on Tonk back me up on this.

Did you or did you not never beat us when we were in my truck we were both competed in the same events

No you did not :lol::lol:

And you call mine lame :lol::lol::lol:

mind you while we are on the subject could say the same for Will and Tony :lol::lol:

The thing is Australia is about 3-5 years ahead of the Uk in off roading terms.

Look what stuff is being used for serious comp in the UK that is Aussie

Old Man Emu

ARB (all their stuff from Lockers to winch blankets to tree stops, extneion strops and snat strops)

Maxi Drive

Safari Snorkles

Haltec stuff (not only their stuff but lot of compies in the Uk have copierd their stuff)

Macminara stuff

Staun Tyre deflators

Staun Internal beadlockers

They have been useing stuff alot longer than us too

Bigger tyres

They have had plasma style winch cable for a lot long than the UK

Simex tyres have been in Aus alot longer than in the Uk. If you don't belive me then go and look at an old Outback challenge Vid After all it was Simon Buck that bought the Simex tyres to the forfront in the UK after going to the Rainforest challenge and saying what the f**k are those :lol:

SO Will and Tony you both pratically have Aussie axles so not too much for somone to try Jap ones :lol:

And just trying to give everyone a heads up to what is going on and to come from Aus :)

hate to say it fella but all the parts in that shopping list are old hat, not a single bit used, I guess if you are building a "retro" competition car then they could give a sense of period charm..... sort of like a formula one car with a thatched roof..

tin hat time again ;)

hate to say it fella but all the parts in that shopping list are old hat, not a single bit used, I guess if you are building a "retro" competition car then they could give a sense of period charm..... sort of like a formula one car with a thatched roof..

tin hat time again ;)

but hey Jez maybe not you. You are ahead of your time. I seen some of the stuff you do you loony :lol::lol:

Ali you are a legend in your own mind that's for sure.

funny I know of someone similar to you

BFG M/T in 35 best tyres ever er on no they're not Simex are

but the 200TDI is better than a 300 or is it a TD5

cheap CV's are fine-no GKN are the ones to have then again is it Ashcroft but you have to agree GKN shafts are the greatest expcept Maxi drive may be or is it the latest Ashcroft ones.

all comments/statements made by the same person....

I have no chip on my shoulders have you checked yours lately?

I also now what I'm capable of soing and not doing.

tell me if you had moved to Korea would a ssanyong be the way to enlightenment these days :)

back on to the thread.

Maggot4x4 your front axle swap looks a very nice job

the rear prop angle , does that cause any issues or is there another rear axle that could replace a L/R one?

Ali you are a legend in your own mind that's for sure.

funny I know of someone similar to you

BFG M/T in 35 best tyres ever er on no they're not Simex are

but the 200TDI is better than a 300 or is it a TD5

cheap CV's are fine-no GKN are the ones to have then again is it Ashcroft but you have to agree GKN shafts are the greatest expcept Maxi drive may be or is it the latest Ashcroft ones.

all comments/statements made by the same person....

tell me if you had moved to Korea would a ssanyong be the way to enlightenment these days :)

well i have never said any of that :P

Nah don't like Korea Tony. Mind you ego trip as i would be tall there :lol:

Just tring to think out of the box tony, and state what people in Aus are doing. Weither you like it or not tony :lol:

Mr Maggots, interesting picture. Is there any chance of taking annother one with a LR CV / ruler to use as referance. I wouldn't know where to start looking at Jap axles :ph34r:

what do you mean when?

:hysterical:

Will - just coz you've been playing with something since you were 12 doesnt mean its hygenic or polite to keep doing it.... :ph34r: my suggestion is why keep doing it the same old way, you get a blinkered experience if you dont experiment? dont just think about a car with no axles - build it! but if you are planning a UK frog you better have a word with Alexey <_<

Warthog - try it whichever way you want, dont worry about lack of welding, theres plenty of help available if you want to give it a go :)

Maggot - welcome, nice to hear tech fella

Jez, you have a very filthy mind. I know I said I liked Rover axles but not that much :lol: Am I blinkered? Possibly, but at the moment it ain't broken so I don't think it needs fixing :P As for building a new truck, there's no space in the workshop. In the next 12 - 18 months I should have a new workshop to play in along with more time on my hands. Is it for the UK? Possibly but it will probably be used more abroad. Is it a Frog? No and yes: simerlarish principal, longer wheelbase (95" - 105" approx), more robust drivetrain (hopefully), diesigned so it'll handle well at speed but also do well on technical stuff. I'm even contemplating throwing some Rover axle bits into the mix for fun :lol::lol::lol:

Ali, yeah, you may have spent more but do you remember how long it took Andy to fit the Salisbury axles? ;) Beating me in comps, didn't we only go head to head once? Perhaps I'll have to come out to Aus for a rematch some time :)

P.S. Ali STEP AWAY FROM THE SPOON! :)

you misunderstand I very much like to see what else is out there.

and will continue to do so.

I'd love to be able to build a mogrover/moglite

but alas I know I can't.

axle swaps possibly with some welding help.

I'll watch with interest to see what the prices are like for spares and for coil sprung GQ/U/R axles are, also what sort of wieght they come in at

otherwise a 200/300 would not be an ideal engine, as watching the Outback videos they seem to be running with far more powerful engines than the majority overhere are.

not loony, poor and stupid - just with a massive appetite for excess combined with an ability to go without sleep, I never had the luxury of being able to buy stuff, it had to be made (and no, Im not knocking anyone for the buying/building arguement, I have respect for all camps as "we all do what we can do" )

there are a lot of talented competition car builders out there - some I think are maybe a little wary of trying new solutions, but I would say even if they dont work all experiments are worthy of support as it helps the scene grow and evolve, by following a well trodden path you'll never overtake

Ive just realised that sounds a bit philosophical.................. soz, normal service will be resumed :huh:

ssanyong......... nooooooooooooooo, UAZ - now theres an idea :)

you misunderstand I very much like to see what else is out there.

and will continue to do so.

I'd love to be able to build a mogrover/moglite

but alas I know I can't.

axle swaps possibly with some welding help.

I'll watch with interest to see what the prices are like for spares and for coil sprung GQ/U/R axles are, also what sort of wieght they come in at

otherwise a 200/300 would not be an ideal engine, as watching the Outback videos they seem to be running with far more powerful engines than the majority overhere are.

Yeah tony many due to the fact they are speed events like the Outback C

Diesels are too slow. Bucky has always said that . If i had brought my 90 over here i would have changed the engine as you would not have had a chance with the time events. :)

Im intreaged Will, Im glad you are going to have a go but theres a couple of things

"more robust drivetrain" do you actually know what the frogs drivetrain is? and where its weakspots are? based on its failures in competition (Ladoga, Vipsky etc) I'd say its pretty well sorted as it is (everything of course is game for improvement though)

The guy that designed and built it is (to me) possibly the most talented and imaginitive gits nice guys of our time. He has a whole stable of diverse and seriously competitive cars - he builds predominantly for the night wolves (and of course anyone else with a massive bank balance). Got to admit St Issacs next year is something I look forward to enormously just to see what he has come up with next but if theres a home grown version then good luck :)

one point though - if you build it longer than the frog you will have missed the whole point of the design surely :huh: