mickeyw

Re-flooring my trailer

36 posts in this topic

I got bored replacing the bed of my beavertail every 5 years when it rotted out, and even more bored of having vehicles drop through it.

Since it's almost always used for shift Landies, I got four 2m lengths of deck from the bay of e, and a few metres of angle, and spent an afternoon with the welder...

20150704_003.jpg

Cant remember the exact cost, but was about double the cost of covering the whole bed in b&q 18mm ply sponge. £200? Maybe £250.

Worth every penny, and more grippy than chequerplate when wet.

On 2/15/2017 at 9:17 AM, Retroanaconda said:

Old thread I know, was wondering how you got on with this Mickey?

My trailer needs a new floor and I'm looking at the options available. It also needs new wheels, tyres and lights so there's gonna be some expense whatever happens!

Crikey - three years have passed, and I've still not re-decked the trailer. I've not needed to use it to transport vehicles, but there are many holes in the floor and sides that let things like aggregate fall through. I don't think I'd dare carry more than one bulk bag in its current condition.

The ply got hijacked and used for something else - in fact some of it was used for a smaller trailer, and actually some of that has rotted out already. I can't remember what we coated that with, but it was some kind of outdoor wood preservative, and it has not protected the edges at all well.

I think the old floor on my Ifor was decent birch ply (£50+ per sheet), as opposed to lesser WPB, which no doubt was how it came to last so much longer. Unfortunately I suspect the pukka £££ phenolic coated board is going to be hard to beat.

The Ifor is now in desperate need of a complete overhaul. It looks distinctly scruffy, rather like those tatty old cars that have 'pull me' written all over them. I don't use it much, mainly local trips, so the cost is hard to justify...never mind finding time work on it.

Thanks guys. I need a full floor in mine as it gets used for various things, so I'll probably get the proper Phenolic ply stuff and give that a go.

Not really, it would still need timber underneath to support it and it's bloody slippery when wet.

Plus a 12' x 5' 5" 'slab' of chequer plate would be pretty sore on the eyes I think. I know I'm being vain here but I want the trailer to look presentable and fairly standard.

When I refurbed er indoors' horse trailer I changed it from phenolic (read "rotten") board flooring to an alloy floor. The pukka Ifor williams stuff is like tongue and groove alloy boards....looked great once done, it was a shame to fit the rubber matting over it.

Our new cattle trailers are all chequer plate now, all seam welded with drains and catch tanks. One of the first Ifor flatbeds we had was a chequer bed but the current 17ft has phenolic boarding. It does help its longevity being stored inside though...

It generally lives in a barn, but does spend periods of time outside now and then.

The proper Ifor Williams phenolic ply sheet for my trailer is about £260+VAT it seems, gonna be pretty hard to beat that considering it's made to fit so there's no messing about with cutting and sealing edges.

IW do a tread plate floor to fit it as well, which is slightly dearer. It actually doesn't look as bad as I'd feared but I think I'll still prefer timber. Will see if I can drop in to the local Ifor dealers and get a look at some. 

Mines getting ready for doing again. Couple of patches where its going soft which is annoying as the rest is really solid. Thought about Ali tread plate but wasn't sure how much support it would need or how to make up the difference in thickness between the ply and the Ali so that it remained level.

Might just go for trailer board again for ease :/

I'm not sure if this thread is still relevant but ; -

When we bought our Ifor LM146 it had of all things a caravan on it (prev owner wanted an offroad caravan) and the only piece of phenolic still left was under the front which had been made into a gas bottle store.  

Once the "van" was removed  I priced up new phenolic board but even then, about 2008 they were £100 ish/sheet which was too expensive.

I used to sell waffle boards and thought the same material would work perfectly well as a deck so we used some 22mm thick with approx 6mm holes in which has been excellent and is still on there now and was lat used at the weekend for Sodbury.

It doesn't hold water, won't rot and has a fine grip on it and  apart from vehicles and general treasure (tut) I've had plenty of bulk bags of various building materials on it and it works perfectly well. I've even had loose soil on and all I did was lay a tarp down first and wrap it like a parcel.

I don't know if that's of any use as an idea or if you've already done it but its possibly food for thought !!!

Mark

Mel, waffle material is not something I would have thought of. Sounds like it has worked well for you.

Do you recall what it ended up costing you? I have a set of fairly thin waffles, but at the price I paid for those I can see covering a 12' x 6'6" deck getting pretty costly.