300 TDi Auto Overheating Problem

CJ1

The expansion tank just so you know isn't over filled. It was originally filled to just above the lip of the expansion bottle, but the pressurising issue has pushed it up to that level. So technically it's not over full.

Right I am off back out side to release the pressure in the thermostat housing and the radiator.

I took the above pipe off and the coolant did burp. Water came from the pipe and the inside of the metal pipe looked dry to me.

as i said in my previous post, my head was cracked in such a way exhaust gasses were blowing straight into the heater matrix pipes and blowing all the coolant out and leaving them dry.

run it for 5 mins with the top off the expansion tank. if it starts to expel water (even if there are no air bubbles) my guess would be your head is cracked in exactly the same way. :wacko::wacko::wacko:

Right, now I know lots of people are going to be thinking or posting something like I Told You So to this.

I got really upset with the Discovery and getting myself all totally messed up in the head, so I decided to go to a tyre company I use (Yes I Tyre Company), To ask them to bleed my cooling system for me. They couldn't do it, but then recommended a company I didn't even know existed down the road from me called Whizzwheels. Not sure if I have spelt that right. Anyway the owner Gary who is very nice and straight to the point seemed to have done everything you lot were saying should have been done in the first place. He started off by smelling by his nose the coolant and immediately said, Your head gasket hasn't gone, Started playing with the cooling system bleeding it etc... and said your heater matrix seems blocked and the cooling system is behaving like there is no thermostat in it. I told him there was a new one. This isn't at fault. He then felt the radiator which was stone cold, he opened the bleed valve and found it had become empty, (I had filled this directly the other night), after lots of revving with the expansion cap off large bubbles started to come out, but after ages of revving, then the heating started to be very luke warm. He said that it would appear that the water pump isn't pumping as well as it should be. And the tensioner at the top is knackered. I then started driving home like he said and the car started to get near the top white marker before the red line, so I turned the car round, and went straight back, I have cancelled the head gasket job for now with GJB and have left the car with Gary at his workshop. He has a lot of very expensive cars in there and my Discovery does look pretty out of place. But I am going to see if he can sort this problem out. He did also say that there is a very small chance but very doubtful that the head is cracked. He is also going to change my rocker gasket and steam clean the engine for me. I have not been taken in by any sales patter or anything like that, but at the price he is charging I am willing to give him a chance to at least diagnose the problem as I believe this will save me in the long run.

The Discovery looks very out of place at the workshop.

This is the workshop is in:

2013_02_06_13_57_05_zpsbae6a308.jpg

2013_02_06_13_59_10BlankReg_zps22706706.

really dont want to upset you but in my experience water pumps are driven mechanicaly, by belt, sorry to state the obvious.

when they spin the fins pump the water round. the usual failure on them is the bearings etc breaking down, siezing etc.

if they are spinning then they are pumping, i really cant see how a water pump can lose some of its effectiveness.

more seriously though are the air bubbles in the expansion tank, the only possible way i can see this happening (assuming its not the head gasket or problems with the head) is the water pump drawing air into the coolant system and somehow pushing it though to the expansion tank or drawing in air from a split hose, loose jubilee clip etc, but again i really cant see this happening.

in my years of experience, bubbles in the expansion tank plus overheating, plus a dry radiator plus a non working heater all point to the head gasket/head. the radiator could be dry as the water is being replaced with exhaust gasses. same with the heater matrix.

you say your car had coolant leaks so if the gasses are pressurising the coolant system then this is obviously where the coolant is going- through the leaks.

do you have a very good trustworthy friend at home who can help you??? a head gasket change isnt too difficult, assuming thats what it is, there is no fiddly timing issues, and there is a very good tech archive thread on here with step by step instructions on how to do this job. the fiddliest bit is the rocker gear/tappets set once its all back together.

i only ask this as would hate to see you get ripped off by another garage. am not saying the garage your car is isnt reputable, but you can save yourself a quite sizable amount of money on labour charges.

also, given the luck that you have had, is there a forum member near you that could help you out?

To reply to Davy about water pumps... My Rangie had a water pump failure where the plastic impellers all got snapped off (probably a weak one failed first and then took out his mates). It was still spinning merrily but not pumping much.

For me, the moral was not to take anything for granted. First of all, check the obvious and then systematically go through everything else.

Cheers, Donald

I did listen to everyone, but clearly didn't do what I was told the right way, I did try though. I am getting another Discovery, I would even consider part exchanging this one for another one. But for now from Thursday I have got a Renault Megane 1.6 Manual on a W reg with a 3 month warranty on it from a dealership not far from me. This will be going up for sale as soon as I have sold my current Discovery.

I have to say CJ, i dont understand. This is an easy fix (particularly compared to the freelander) and you could end up with a decent motor. You have sourced a good head from someone here and some of the members on here have offered help and would be able to swap it. There is a decent disco for sale on LRO at the moment, but it is up at just over £2k (and is a manual).

I have been told there is a chance like with all head gasket changes that the face of the block may need skimming and was advised by 2 garages that the best option is an engine change. I cannot afford to source an engine, or be without a car any longer, I have missed several very important hospital appointments thanks to not having a car on the road, so my parents have bought me a little Megane which I will use for a few months. The green discovery is up for sale and to the right person with the money available for parts it will be a great motor. I am deeply saddened that I am having to get rid of it. But the plan now is. Sell the Discovery. Put that money to 1 side, and either use the megane as a part exchanger or start saving up over the next 4 to 5 months and buy another Discovery.

I am in no position to keep this Discovery sadly. I really am upset about this situation.

The only reason I have decided to sell the Discovery is purely based on the fact, I have been without a car for 3 weeks, I can't be without a car for any longer, other wise I would get another engine, and pay someone to fit it and keep it. I really love that car, and really hate the new car even though I haven't even got it home yet. This is a forced situation for me. The only thing I can do which I think now is the best route is, Sell this Discovery and put the money to one side from the sale of it, Gradually add whatever money I can to the fund, and then buy another Discovery, or If I can find one from someone looking to take a part exchange I can add the Megane to the deal with cash. The Megane comes with the Trading standards forced 3 month Warranty and is off of a Forecourt of a dealership. It isn't perfect, but has MOT and TAX, is the right price, will be cheap enough to run being a 1.6 petrol for me to be able to start getting money together for the next Discovery.

There is some truth in the phrase 'Better the devil you know'

I don't suppose there is anywhere off road you could keep the discovery till you had funds to fix it seeing as you are now mobile? Selling this one and buying another could leave you in a worse position.

Right, situation may change slightly with my Discovery. I logged into LR4x4 today and found a had a message in my inbox. A very kind member has offered to fit a replacement head for me in March so all I need to do is buy a head. BUT, my dilemma now is to find somewhere that I can store it for a month. Or the car I am getting tomorrow will have to be added on my insurance as a temporary vehicle for a month and I leave the Discovery insured.

A new engine is NOT the way to go!!!

As said this is am easy fix, and may I say well done to the forum member who has offered to do the head replacement if I lived closer I would of offered too!

Get a head sources, but DON'T buy a new head gasket until you know how many holes it has in it, you will only know this after the head is removed.

And I would also replace the head bolts, lr say they van be used Upto 5 times, but better to be safe than sorry!

Also don't forget manifold, thermostat housing gaskets etc etc