So close but yet so far!

mikec

Ok tried again today, it was almost going but was popping/backfiring instead of starting, pretty sure the coils are wired correctly, VR sensor is working, I THINK the trigger wheel is set up right.

Sounds to me like ignition, any ideas? Could it be something in the setup? Or is it more likely something in the above?

My bet is still the trigger wheel in the wrong place.

Disconnect the SAW or PIP (I forget which it is) from the EDIS and try running it again, then it should run at 10 degrees fixed timing. If you still have a problem it is VR or triggerwheel related.

If the TW is spot on then I suspect wiring chap :)

The ONLY way to sort this is to ring me with yourself and phone and torch at the engine !!

But as Mr Bowie says, TW TW TW - 1 tooth out = 10 degrees !!!!

Nige

Ok, what times best for you Nige? Cheers mike

Pretty sure you count the 5 including the gap:

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=15317&p=349161

Popping and backfiring.... TBH, this sounds, assuming you confirm the sensor position, that your leads are wrong, take a pic and mark the coil packs up with ABCD and plug number, remembering it starts the front left plug (passenger in UK) for #1 ;)

Ok so tried the timing light on number 1, well what I thinks number 1.

Perhaps it's a good idea to decide which cylinder is really #1 before worrying about anything else? If you look at my last post it shows HT lead wiring including cylinder numbers, #1 is the cylinder nearest the distributor.