300tdi gearbox oil?

scottwilson1912

Hello All

So my disco had its 6 monthly oil and filter change at the weekend....Seems abit livelier now so this weekend its the Gearbox/Transfer box oils to changed....Ive read abit on here about MTF94 in the main box but was wondering about squeezing in a tube of Molyslip aswell. I used to know a bloke with a TD4 freelander who swore but the stuff in his gearbox...Has anyone else tried Moly in a disco box and does it help...Bearing in mind my old P reg is coming up for 200,000miles soon and anything to help keep her running smoothly must be worth a thought

Cheers Scott

Best oil for the R380 main gearbox is RedLine MTL. Expensive, but you can leave it in there for ever and it gives a wonderful gear change. The reason the gear change is good because this oil has a high coefficient of friction. Molyslip will give a low coefficient and a crunchy gear change. The reason is that synchromesh rings work better with more friction. Think about it....

For the transfer box cheepo GL5 80w/90 is best and change it every so often. (40k kms or the equivalent in Miles). I do use 85w140 as it is hot here...

So now I'm curious why does "Rave " & the Haynes Manual say Dexron IID type automatic transmission fluid (ATF)for the main gearbox & SAE 80EP or SAE 90EP for the transfer box. Yet everyone else recomend totally different oils

What oil do you all suggest for the engine Rave & haynes say Multigrade SAE5W/30 to 15W/40 for the diesel

Jim

Because Land Rover forgot to revise and up date their manuals when the R380 was introduced. However, LR main dealers service departments used MTF 94 oil manufactured by Texaco for Rover/ Land Rover, although now I know a LR service dept that only uses Castrol oils.

There's nothing to stop you using other brands, the all do an MTF now.

Because Land Rover forgot to revise and up date their manuals when the R380 was introduced. However, LR main dealers service departments used MTF 94 oil manufactured by Texaco for Rover/ Land Rover, although now I know a LR service dept that only uses Castrol oils.

There's nothing to stop you using other brands, the all do an MTF now.

Actually what happened was the R380 came in with the 300Tdi in 1994 in the UK. They had a few failures of the early boxes (I have a 1995 one) and when the Freelander came out it specified the same gearbox oil as a few Hondas, etc. This was MTF94. So LR sent a service bulletin to their dealers to use the Freelander oil in the R380 gearboxes. I have a copy on the bulletin somewhere, dated 1996. I had 20l of MTF94, but when it ran out I couldn't get any more from Caltex and then heard about the RedLine fully synthetic MTL. This is the greatest oil for the R380 and at 311k kms I have a wonderful gearchange with no crunching. As the oil never wears out I will never change it.

I have also used Castrol VMX. Not as good as the synthetic but better than ATF!

On the engine front I use a high-quality (CI) 15w40 diesel engine oil. A 5w/30 oil will be a synthetic and a waste of money in a Tdi as the oil gets very dirty and should be changed often. I change my oil at around 5k kms and the filter at 10k kms. Apparently the filters work better when they are a bit old.

MTF 94 is the standard now, but I will stick with Dexron2 in my LT77.

I would never put moly in a gearbox. Moly is a fantastic lubricant for sliding surfaces such as gear teeth but is entirely unsuitable for use on ball or roller bearings as the reduction in friction can cause the bearing not to rotate, eventually causing a hotspot and weakening/wear on the bearing itself.

Moly in the engine is great though - its all sliding surfaces there and most modern engine oils contain moly in some quantity or other.

• 3 years later...

MTF 94 is the same spec as 10W40 semi synthetic engine oil.....buy that at half the price and use it....marketing comes into play again from Mr Land Rover

:)

Actually, it would correspond to the viscosity of a 0W30 engine oil. 10W40 is a fair bit thicker. The MTFs do have some extra features that do make them better for a gearbox. Pretty much every manual gearbox in the world uses an MTF these days.