Electrical Help. Head Lights.

Hi,

so i'm stuck here with no headlights or main beam. Headlamp flash is working.

Side lights and number plate light work on position 1 and 2

Dim dip does not come on in position 2

Head lamp flash works all the time pulling the stalk towards you.

Main beam does not work by pushing the stalk away from you at any time.

• Checked all fuses.
  • Checked bulbs.
  • Swapped the yellow relay for the starter in the fuse box and back. Both work as starter relay but not sure is the yellow is the head lights or the rear window heater....isn't there meant to be three.....i have two.
  • Ripped out the dim dip relay behind the dash and reconnected it. I do not have a spare to test.
  • The connector near the arial under the wing looks OK.
  • Wiring all looks OK. The dash is off and I'm awaiting ideas.

HELP !!!!!

side note. Cleaned turbo intercooler yesterday but have no idea when the fault occured with the lights. I did have a problem with an intermittant short blowing the RHS dipped fuse which was a bare wire earthing in the corner near the oil cooler pipes. This was cured the other week when I found the abrasion point and burning my arms. The wire was insulated and the lights worked fine for day driving in the rain. We've had a LOT of rain so could be related.

I've read the other post on the subject and have tried the linking of the two blue red wires and removing the dim dip relay.

This doesn't work for me.

As a side note, the relay does however click over as I could hear it. I've taken off the lid and it seems to operate. However its got transistors in there and I cannot say they are working.

looks like i need to test the stalk itself.

Check the headlight switch with a test light. Have you power at the Brown wire

Have you power at the Red wire

VERY important. Have you power at the blue wire.

If that works move to the dip switch and check the wiring into and out of there.

Brown is the feed from the battery

Blue is the feed from the switch to the stalk

Blue/ Red is the dip lighting

Blue/ White is the high beem wire.

Behind the dash is a PINK relay for the dim dip. Try unpluging that and see what happens

can you get them to work with no relay or resistor?

(or either bypassed idividually or together I suppose)

currently making a test lamp to start the diagnostics. I butchered the other one for parts....

i'll test the resistor first though.

Everything i saw said i just needed to strap the red blues.....

currently waiting for sundown to start. Its too damn HOT and Humid !!!!

joining the blue/red wires at the relay base should allow normal lighting operation but without dim dip function, LR do a dummy relay that has a internal jumper to do the same job, if joining the 2 wires doesn't work, it must be a main light switch fault. there isn't anything else except the dip beam filaments, the flash/full beam function has no affect on dip beam.

So the resistor is OC.

The switch seems to function OK.

(With the resistor out) a Multimeter shows 12v on the brown and 12v on red and then blue wires depending on switch position. 1 is red 12v and then 2 is both red and blue 12v. This is I think normal operation so switch is OK.

Am I making a noob mistake of not knowing the difference between Head Lights and Dipped and using the wrong terms?

I have side lights. The normal little round ones working with switch in position 1 or 2.

Head lights do not work at all in position 2.

Main beam work in flash pulling the stick towrds you with the switch in any position.

position 1 [first click from off] is side/tail lights & dim dip headlights [only if the dim dip circuit is intact & working correctly & only when the engine is running, the system is switched on by the oil pressure switch when it has oil pressure]

position 2 [2nd click from off, switch on as far as it will move] is normal dip beam.

main beam & headlight flash [main beam] is controlled by the left hand stalk being pushed forward, moving it back to steering wheel turns off main [full] beam.

pulling back into the spring loaded area is main beam flash. this works regardless of any other lighting function as it draws 12v from the permanent live 12v feed

So dim dip has never worked. Which i presume is either the resistor or some botch when they swapped to H4s.

normal dipped beam and main beam do not work. This is my problem then.

sorry for the confusion ! :blush:

OK so we might be getting somewhere.

Resistor shorted out.

switch in position 1 and relay in place gives me dipped (low beam) headlights.

they go out again in position 2 and sidelight stay on stangely so the dim dip is fixed but gving me dipped cos of the relay short.

No full (high) beam in either position.

headlamp flash works as always.

so resistor is fcukd and dim dip realy is OK.

But why no normal headlights in position 2 ???

I can get by with this if shorting the resistor is safe.

Its still a problem as its not working normally at all !

one problem is patched and the other still exists but at least i have lights !

dipped headlights with main light switch at posiion 1 is not correct, it should be side & tail lights & dim dip if working only [engine running, side/tail lights if engine not running].

if no dip beam at pos 2 then I reckon the switch is the problem.

HAVE YOU. Taken the H4's out and checked them......

Then

Heve you power at the brown wire on the switch ? That is important.

Then. When you switch to position one. Have you power at the red terminal.

Then. Have you power at the blue wire terminal ?

I've done all of that and still nothing.

The dim dip now works so that test almost everything i think by the fact it works and lights the bulb. I'm going to go through everthing again later when it cools down. I've either missed something or i'm just being stupid.

As this seemed to start when i had the intercooler out I tought it could be related to the 20amp horn fuse but thats still OK and the horn works.

Back to basics later....

Test lamp in hand I went back through all the wiring.

1. First problem was the dim dip resistor which I fixed. I hope....
  2. Second problem was the Indicator Stalk. Its had indeed melted on the headlights part. See Photos of my running repair :o
  3. Third problem was the relay running the spots was shot. So I replaced it with one from my bag.

Took me hours to find three separate problems. This is what happens when you don't drive at night for ages !

Thanks to all the posters for helping me out and thanks to other threads here and in other forums. The indicator stalk is only two years old, is a Lucas and was new when I got it. The other was loose on the column but its still at home so another thing going in the care package....

1. 8245991_orig.jpg

2351309_orig.jpg