brent 3045

transfer box wrong oil

10 posts in this topic

Probably not. If you just put it in and let it stand, then no, but if you'd done 150k on it then maybe. Bit more info perhaps....??

If you are asking will it cause damage in the future, i.e. you are contemplating leaving it there, then i would advise to drain and re-fill with EP90.

Just topped up for offroading at weekend, will drain off and change before next time, maybe month. Thanks

Should be fine then. They are pretty hardy boxes. Definately change it though.

MTF is a 75W80 GL4 oil and should be fine for the LT230. Roamer Corp (makers of the formally named RoverDrive, name now changed thanks to Tata's legal department) insist on using synthetic GL4 gear oil, and advise that MTF is suitable.

What about MTF94 - as used in the R380? Surely that would be too thin. Perhaps the OP needs to give more info on the exact type of oil used.

But the Roverdrive peeps insist on fully synthetic because EP90 adversely affects some of the metals used in the overdrive...

I'm trusting them that there will be no adverse performance or life issues on my transfer box using the oil they specify and not that recommended for the LTL230!!!

They advise the use of synthetic 75w90 because they don't get EP90 out there. And it's not all EP90s that can damage the bronze-phosphor parts - it's just some of the GL5 specs, so you should still use EP90 GL4 where available.

Thanks for the heads up Snagger.... I went Redline anyway for LT230 & Overdrive to make sure I was keeping to warranty requirements !

Neil

You can still buy straight 90 gearbox oil that doesn't affect phosphor bronze. Commonly used in Lambretta scooter gearboxes :)

Mo