Glow plugs on 2.5 Diesel NA

jameshub

Diesels don't have a choke like a petrol engine, the orange cold start light is the choke symbol looks like I / I most likely the bulb is dead, all diesels have a warning light fitted inc MOD vehicles.

have a look in the defender forum, the cold starting procedure was talked about very recently.

Testing the glow plugs is a piece of cake. Remove them one at a time and with two pieces of wire hook up the threaded part to the negative post on the battery and the top to the positive post. The tip should glow red hot in 5 to 10 seconds (Be very careful to not burn yourself or anything else when you do this). If it doesn't, it needs to be replaced. I just swapped out 2 or the 4 plugs last week and my truck starts up fast and WAY less smokey.

Testing the glow plugs is a piece of cake. Remove them one at a time and with two pieces of wire hook up the threaded part to the negative post on the battery and the top to the positive post. The tip should glow red hot in 5 to 10 seconds (Be very careful to not burn yourself or anything else when you do this). If it doesn't, it needs to be replaced. I just swapped out 2 or the 4 plugs last week and my truck starts up fast and WAY less smokey.

thanks for this, what was the cost of replacing them? - mine does seem to be very smokey on start

Diesels don't have a choke like a petrol engine, the orange cold start light is the choke symbol looks like I / I most likely the bulb is dead, all diesels have a warning light fitted inc MOD vehicles.

have a look in the defnder forum, the cold starting procedure was talked about very recently.

the choke light flashes when i crank fully to start engine but doesn't when just switching to the initial movement of ignition key, which is what i would expect the warning light to do...

any thoughts?

have a look in the defnder forum, the cold starting procedure was talked about very recently.

also, i have a choke pully just on passenger side, so what is that for?

not a choke, that's the hand throttle for use when vehicle is parked & the MOD radio kit was in use, keeps the revs up & alternator charging the batteries.

blimey, so having removed the radio kit and the large additional alternator, it basically does nothing and has no use?

blimey, so having removed the radio kit and the large additional alternator, it basically does nothing and has no use?

trace the cable from left side of engine where it comes through the bulkhead, it should end up connected to the injection pump lever, hand throttle will still work if you set it a few teeth up on the rachet the engines idle rpm should rise,

BUT please do not attempt to use it as a cruise control.

Wish you hadn't said that - just the thought - luxury - every time I look at it now........

When I first got my 110 I thought it was a choke :blush:

Next it will be sitting in the passenger seat minus the seat cushion - does that count as 'Heated Seats' (If you get both battery terminals in the right place) :rofl:

trace the cable from left side of engine where it comes through the bulkhead, it should end up connected to the injection pump lever, hand throttle will still work if you set it a few teeth up on the rachet the engines idle rpm should rise,

when you turn one notch on the ignition the oil and battery light comes on but not glow plug warning light and also no volts going through the wire, then when you crank to next the engine turns over and the glow plug warning light comes on (although flickering slightly), then the engine starts after about 8-10 seconds.

im confused because the only time the glow light comes on it when turning over and then the key bounces back to first notch, which would mean this is where the glow light would also kick it and meaning its on all the time even when engine running...

any thoughts?

It's quite possible the bulb on the choke/glowplug lamp is faulty.

Turn the key till battery/oil lights come on, then turn the key a little more against the spring pressure to activate the glow plugs.

If the orange 'choke' light doesn't come on, look for the battery/oil illumination lamps going dimmer as the glow plugs suck the current away7

Hold the key in this position for at least 20 seconds, then turn key a bit more till starter fires up. And do not press the accelerator pedal - the fuel pump has an inbuilt cold start device which doesn't work if you hold the pedal down.

If it is still struggling to start, check you are getting voltage to the glow plugs, if thats ok you need to replace the plugs, which are only cheap.

Turn the key till battery/oil lights come on, then turn the key a little more against the spring pressure to activate the glow plugs.

If the orange 'choke' light doesn't come on, look for the battery/oil illumination lamps going dimmer as the glow plugs suck the current away7

Hold the key in this position for at least 20 seconds, then turn key a bit more till starter fires up. And do not press the accelerator pedal - the fuel pump has an inbuilt cold start device which doesn't work if you hold the pedal down.

If it is still struggling to start, check you are getting voltage to the glow plugs, if thats ok you need to replace the plugs, which are only cheap.

that works brilliantly, thanks for advice and help

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Thanks for this info I have been doing all wrong for the last 9 months s9nce I picked up my ex mod 110 ffr.