Mercedes om606 engine

• 3 weeks later...

Here some pics from a guy I know who has put an om606 (with mechanical pump from a 603 with bigger plunjers) into an old VW jetta using a bmw gearbox and rear axle. Will get a Hollset HX35 turbo and he said it would be good for around 400hp. It's already tested and approved for road use by the authorities. It weighs in at about 1100kg. Nice!

http://s609.photobucket.com/user/Toy-Roverlander/media/Misc/2012-05-26074141.jpg.html'>2012-05-26074141.jpg

http://s609.photobucket.com/user/Toy-Roverlander/media/Misc/2012-05-26074126.jpg.html'>2012-05-26074126.jpg

http://s609.photobucket.com/user/Toy-Roverlander/media/Misc/2012-05-26074107.jpg.html'>2012-05-26074107.jpg

Awesome engine!

bloody heck... HX35 is whats on my Cummins... im getting 45psi out of it!

I believe this one comes of a QSB6.7 forklift engine, not sure though. They only rev to 2500rpm though, OM606 is capable of a fair bit more than that.

You must be getting quite some power from your cummins :D

I believe this one comes of a QSB6.7 forklift engine, not sure though. They only rev to 2500rpm though, OM606 is capable of a fair bit more than that.

You must be getting quite some power from your cummins :D

12v 6BT 5.9l 160hp VE Pump, 3200rpm Governer Spring, +40hp Fuel pin, +40hp Injectors, HX35 boosting 40+ Psi (its safe threshhold is 35psi and i rarely need to push it past that tbh as after 35psi it superheats the air... i definatly need a charge cooler on her).

So i should be good for 200-250hp and 500lb/ft :D

a 6BT Pump with a +40hp fuel pin and a 4500rpm spring from a TDi will be ideal for the OM606 lump... nice n revvy... get some well matched injectors and maybe a HX35 (or the 6.7 24v Cummins VNT??) and there will be some power on tap!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That seems to me to be a lesson in how NOT to tune a diesel engine......

Daan... that does sound seriously sus when he lifts off.... or it could be one of those exhaust whistlers you get in Halfrauds ;)

Any more updates on slapping this engine into your defender :D~ (thats me drooling btw!)

Cheers

Mat

I've just been reading through their face-book page, there's some interesting stuff and alot of google translate,

One interesting thing is that they're running a throttle body in-case of run engine run on, seems there chucking alot of fuel through that 606, and what looks like a hx40/ maybe a hx50 at my best guest,

Also Daan that noise is compressor surge, as long as its a good turbo and it looks like a holset then it will be perfectly fine

i think is sounds dam cool

Just fount the boggers are 44s

One interesting thing is that they're running a throttle body in-case of run engine run on, seems there chucking alot of fuel through that 606, and what looks like a hx40/ maybe a hx50 at my best guest,

Also Daan that noise is compressor surge, as long as its a good turbo and it looks like a holset then it will be perfectly fine

A throttle body on a diesel? Thats what gives him the noise of the turbo hitting a brick wall when he lifts the trottle. To me, that means it destroys the characteristics of a diesel, and it becomes power only at high revs. If thats you want, just get a v8 petrol.

But what do I know about engines?

Daan

Daan no the throttle body isnt being operated like on a petrol,

it is only there if it diesels on basically when the diesel engine is running on it own oil can happen when its been on its roof or other source of fuel not from the injection pump carbon build up etc, basically revs till its blows, youtube it loads of videos

what this is being used for is, if the engine does diesel on you can pull the throttle body shut and stop any air getting into the engine so it dies saving it from self destruction.

muddychris300tdi

compressor surge does sound pretty darn cool

Daan no the throttle body isnt being operated like on a petrol,

it is only there if it diesels on basically when the diesel engine is running on it own oil can happen when its been on its roof or other source of fuel not from the injection pump carbon build up etc, basically revs till its blows, youtube it loads of videos

what this is being used for is, if the engine does diesel on you can pull the throttle body shut and stop any air getting into the engine so it dies saving it from self destruction.

muddychris300tdi

compressor surge does sound pretty darn cool

I understand why you would do that, the dieselmax landspeedrecord vehicle did have this setup as well. But judging from the sound, that does sound like a turbo hitting a wall, with a dumpvalve opening maybe? It shouldn't do this on a diesel I reckon, and it only means throttle response is very bad straight after this.

Daan

When you adjust the rack travel of the om603 pump fitted to the om606 engine, it is very easy for the rack to go "too far" and become unable to return, thus revving its nuts off. I imagine its a safe guard against this. however I dont think its good for the turbo in the slightest!!

like on this engine...

post-1650-0-26311300-1371558559_thumb.jpg

the plate top left (of the pic) on the air intake... Its common place on the American tractor pull and drag machines.

TurboDiesels which twitter/whistle/crackle on overrun are quite common: the guys at KAMAZ KrAZ and Tatra don't worry about this, and I'm quite familiar with a similar sound when we shut down our big CAT turbodiesel generating sets by simply disconnecting the load and hitting 'OFF'.

I'm underestimating the power required to spin those boggers here, but maybe it's the gearing or the driver that makes it look pretty underpowered to me? It doesn't seem to spool terribly quickly or particularly have much torque. I am of course totally qualified to rip it this much having a fire spitting tyre shredding tdi in my landy :P

Sounds rather lovely mind and I am following with interest.

Will.

i thought it spooled rely well if im honest, there 44" boggers, axle is probably 7.1 ratio with the portals never mind there rest of the drive chain so it will take some torque to spin them up like it does.

but when a stock engine is 350nm in the merc then add alot of fuel and boost they go crazy