Viking Winch, Version 2.0 "Teaser"

Daft question; If that is a nokken, and its a five turn capstan, will you have a storage drum that applies tension, to replace the second person? Or is that done internally to the winch?

(A capstan with a storage drum has been on my mind for a few years, as it has constant pull regardless of the rope paid out)

Nice pipe, everything looks so well thought through with a pipe...

Well exactly what we thought, Land Rover has done some great engineering throughout history, mostly coming from blokes with Pipes ;)

Yes it is a Nokken, brand new from your lovely country. And even though it's not as much DIY as the Version 1.0, it still will take quite some rework to fit our application, First and foremost it's 2,28 times too slow, and it turns the wrong way.. But I'm pretty convinced we'll get that sorted ;)

Well exactly what we thought, Land Rover has done some great engineering throughout history, mostly coming from blokes with Pipes ;)

Yes it is a Nokken, brand new from your lovely country. And even though it's not as much DIY as the Version 1.0, it still will take quite some rework to fit our application, First and foremost it's 2,28 times too slow, and it turns the wrong way.. But I'm pretty convinced we'll get that sorted ;)

2.28 times too slow? time to graft on some portals then!

Interesting, I have looked at one of them before I settled on my current winch, but I was told that the loadrating on them is pretty low (2 tonnes or thereabouts from memory), so that put me of that idea. I cant speak from experience though, so interested to seehow you get on.

Daan

Yeah that would help a lot on the gearing Dan. Buy seeing as they are both going away from their portal axles, we must find another solution. Portals, sadly aren't really ideal for the danish comp scene because we need short wheelbase for the tight sections, yet a very stabile low cog for the steep climbs. So they're going back to rover.

Daan, correct, only rated at 2200kgs, but that's just what the load clutch is adjusted at. Further, the highest reading we've had on version 1.0 was 2100kgs.

It's a good point. Although winches are 'rated' at 12,000Lbs for example, if you connect them to a load cell, the actual pull is surprisingly low, even at stall.

I tried it with a 'popular brand of winch' (not wishing to upset anyone) and at stall it only delivered 6000Lbs of pull on the first wrap with the motor (new Bow2) stalled.

Similarly, the 'power' of the motors is a complete lie! Apparently, they are 'tested' at 18v and the power rating is the total electrical energy going in. The 18v supply is constant voltage regardless of load, so it does not drop as the load on the winch increases. Even a supposed 6Hp motor is only delivering 3Hp on a typical 12v battery and of that, only 1.5Hp is turned into mechanical energy. If you were buying an Industrial motor - it would likely have a (proper) rating of about 1 to 2Hp. But, like your typical store bought HiFi which boasts 10kw output, but when you open it up you discover it only has 4w speakers - "Massive 10,000w Earthquake sound power" sells better than "4w Library Sound Power".

I have a feeling that a Genuine 2200Kgs is going to beat a made up 12,000Lbs!

Si

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Bumping this thread as it actually has been dragged out of the moth balls! My Brother has slowly returned to the project and is currently working on gearing the thing to run the required speed. Sprockets and chain has been made/bought and the original plans of fitting a clutch in-between the PTO and winch has been dropped, mainly to speed up the project, which it will as it drastically simplifies everything :) I'll see if I can get a picture of the sprockets etc for you guys :)

• 2 weeks later...

Well apparently my Brother has been much quicker than I had been able to catch up to, he has now completed the re-gearing of the winch and here is a video of the first bench test, to show you the gearing:

He basically flipped the Primary chain housing and installed two new sprockets, with maximum available gearing (within the size of the housing) and a new stronger chain. And fitted more bearings to the shafts.

Moving well along, my Brother has now completed the mounting of the winch, and it sits in its final location in the 90":

post-9137-0-77225000-1447615856_thumb.jpg

As you can see the beauty of this winch setup compared to the first Viking Winch is that it won't take up any cargo space. it is clearly going to be closed in completely from all sides, top and bottom. With the required service hatches. Also he is going to fit some 'brushes' of sorts to brush off the worst dirt and water from the wire as it spools in, to avoid packing the winch with mud. Also notice the ARB greasable snatch blok, used to direct the wire forwards on the vehicle. The wire will run in a fixed tube all the way to the front, as it won't move around with Capstan principle.

The driveshaft is also much better than on the first winch, as there is almost no angle to it anymore. Therefore he has used a Disco rubber doughnut to connect the winch to the PTO without any other forms of u-joints or CV's.

post-9137-0-33764600-1447615864_thumb.jpg

Thank you guys :)

My goodness, the Disco had a stopping distance even with all 4 wheels locked(!)

I take it you are pleased with it....

How much rope?

Yep, very pleased. Performance is very similar to the first Viking Winch, this thing is just soo much nicer to handle! Kind of like comparing an 800hp 2,5l 4 banger with a gigantic turbocharger, and an 800hp big 8cyl truck diesel engine. Same amount of power, just very different to control! Especially feeding the wire out works extremely well, never tried anything like it, as soon as you begin to drag the hook, its like powersteering it feeds you wire until you stop dragging. It's going to be so nice to be the co-pilot on this thing!

We fitted 66meters og 9mm wire, but it really is very full so we might remove a couple of meters again.

Impressive!

Might have missed it earlier in the thread, but I presume you are going to put a guard over the bits in the cab? Wouldn't want to get your cost sleeve caught in that!

Yes it is going to be completely covered up. With a service hatch from the inside between the seats. But it really doesn't take up much usable space, so it should be a nice 'fit and forget' installation

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

First proper field test, seems so effortless! :D

But I cannot stress enough how nice this thing is to handle, especially when you have to rig it all by yourself. No need for shouting and waving for the driver to stop winching out when you have enough wire, just stop pulling and it'll stop feeding you wire! And likewise when you've detached the hook from the anchor point, just lay it on the ground an tell the driver its off, and he can spool it in, however fast he likes, without any of you having to look at it :D All he has to check is how much is left so he doesn't spool it in too far :)

• 7 months later...